Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mulligan, in our case we prefer to maintain our own separate houses, and after fifteen years, why mess with a good thing? The house is for me. Of course if he needed someplace to stay, he is always welcome (and vice versa), but neither of us are seeking that. He is happy in his own home, and I am happy in mine. We spend the afternoons and some evenings together, enjoying the best part of one another's company. This arrangement is not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but it works nicely for us.

I assumed that was what you meant but had to get a tease in, W2R. I know what you mean. 8 years with my SO and we both live in our separate same town homes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm fairly new to So Cal, since 2013, but I see Pros and Cons. Yes, cost of real estate and traffic could be considered Cons. We're renting now, but see benefits with being within 10 minutes from the beach and year round weather. Our electric and gas bills are quite low and in 2 years have not turned on the a/c or heater. Traffic is bumper to bumper during extended rush hours, so I go into the office early/stay late or carpool. I'm considering a hybrid plug-in so I can drive in the HOV alone. My current daily driver is 8.5 years old so it's about time and the city mpg is about 18 - 20, so a new car with 40+ mpg will reduce gas cost.

In the big picture, ER will mean location options for me and my family, cost is only one factor. While CA remains an option, in a few years, I see my mom and father-in-law getting older and needing more help in the Midwest (IL and MN). Ultimately, my ER destination will be for my family. I'll be in a better position (not just financially, but mentally more prepared) in 2 - 3 years to make up my mind if CA or Midwest works best.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I assumed that was what you meant but had to get a tease in, W2R. I know what you mean. 8 years with my SO and we both live in our separate same town homes.
Ha ha!! YOu really GOT me on that one. I kept thinking, "gosh, don't Mulligan and his SO have a similar arrangement or something?" but then figured I must be mistaken.

BTW, my offer on the dream house was just accepted by the seller, in the past hour! I didn't want to say much about it before, for fear of jynxing the offer. But now I can say that it is right next door to F's house, less than 20 feet away.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ha ha!! YOu really GOT me on that one. I kept thinking, "gosh, don't Mulligan and his SO have a similar arrangement or something?" but then figured I must be mistaken.

BTW, my offer on the dream house was just accepted by the seller, in the past hour! I didn't want to say much about it before, for fear of jynxing the offer. But now I can say that it is right next door to F's house, less than 20 feet away.

Wow, great news. Congratulations and good luck with the move!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You may find this hard to believe, but there are a LOT of folks who think New Mexico is another country. Seriously!
That is why their license plates say "New Mexico USA". Presumably so the state police will not hold them as illegal aliens!