Where to retire II

This is not a snarky comment at all, but a question... I have often heard the term "fiscally conservative, social liberal". But they appear to be mutually not compatible to me. A socially liberal government would need high taxes to support all the issues. Unless the meaning is liberal in non-taxable issues such as gay rights, sports betting, relaxed drug laws, etc as opposed to increased welfare benefits and other low income subsidies supported by increased taxation?
No snark taken, and I understand your point.

At the risk of inducing a bacon odor, you'll note I said I'm a social moderate, not liberal. WRT social spending, while I definitely believe in personal responsibility, I also know to some extent 'there for the grace of (insert chosen diety) go all of us.' A wealthy developed society has some responsibility to the legitimately less fortunate IMO, but where I'd draw that line is not where an ardent liberal might draw it. An even easier example IMO, we can't spend too much on combat veterans in my opinion, we owe them our best.

OTOH, Tea Party fiscal talking points don't appeal to me either. Just my view...

Last edited:
No snark taken. At the risk of inducing a bacon odor, you'll note I said I'm a social moderate, not liberal. WRT social spending, while I believe in personal responsibility, I also know that 'there for the grace of (insert chosen diety) go all of us.' A developed society has some responsibility to the legitimately less fortunate IMO, but where I'd draw that line is not where an ardent liberal might draw it. Tea Party fiscal talking points don't appeal to me either. Just my view...

Yes, I should not have conflated your post with Ha's, but they both got me thinking.... Which can be dangerous for me. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ray: I have traveled throughout East Tennessee, Western NC, North Georgia and much of Virginia extensively on business--before retiring.
Tennessee property taxes remain relatively low, but Tennesseans really come out ahead with no state income taxes. VA and NC are not so kind on taxation.
Attractive cities in Upper East Tennessee are:
Johnson City is a university city with 40% of their population from elsewhere. No one ever will leave after living there.
Jonesborough, Greenville, Morristown Jefferson City and Dandridge are also nice places with good societies.
There are also some great planned real estate developments on the incredibly beautiful Little Tennessee River around Loudon, TN and Vonore, TN--20 mi. southwest of Knoxville and Maryville.
Another beautiful community with a great restaurant and artistic community is Asheville, NC. It's a special place, but more expensive than the above communities.
My sister spends her summers in Banner-Elk, NC, and the 2 highest ski resorts on the East Coast are there. The NW NC mountains and Boone, NC area is very nice.

While it's a great place to retire, what I like about the region is the people. They're very nice, honest and quick to laugh. They're special, no matter what their economic level is. You just don't see this everywhere.

The important thing is to decide what area you'd like to live in and get a local real estate agent to show you around.

Have never lived in Tennessee, but it's a nice place to visit. 😎 I go on a houseboat excursion every summer to Dale Hollow Lake, on the KY/TN border about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville. Nice lake and scenery, and no problems with the folks in the area, but a bit more rural than I'd care for in terms of living there fulltime.

As for politics, as long as an armed militia or radical terrorist group doesn't live next door, I'd prefer to stay out of others' politics, and they stay out of mine... My observation is that the more toward the ends of the spectrum people are, the less they seem to know about history, civics, and economics.

TN does have a 6% tax on investment income over $1250/yr.

It's only investment income from sources from outside the state of Tennessee. I once had to pay it on money kept in a money market kept at State Street in Chicago. If the funds were kept in a TN bank--no income tax.

I have a friend that owns a large hamburger chain in another state. He stays in Florida at least 1/2 the year and in Memphis the rest of the year--and documents it. He doesn't have to pay TN state income tax by being a Florida resident.

Have never lived in Tennessee, but it's a nice place to visit. 😎 I go on a houseboat excursion every summer to Dale Hollow Lake, on the KY/TN border about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville. Nice lake and scenery, and no problems with the folks in the area, but a bit more rural than I'd care for in terms of living there fulltime.

As for politics, as long as an armed militia or radical terrorist group doesn't live next door, I'd prefer to stay out of others' politics, and they stay out of mine... My observation is that the more toward the ends of the spectrum people are, the less they seem to know about history, civics, and economics.

Close to the fabulous Dale Hollow is Tennessee Tech and Cookeville, TN. It has culture and an interstate that can get you into Nashville in 1 hr. 15 minutes. Dale Hollow is to the north, and Center Hill lake is to the west--both absolutely beautiful lakes.

Crossville is another city that's very, very popular with retirees from The North. Fairfield Glade has 3 18 hole golf courses and 2 country clubs. There are also a couple of other golf courses in the city. They're also famous for their Summer Stock theatre. It too sits on I-40, and is an hour from Knoxville.

Close to the fabulous Dale Hollow is Tennessee Tech and Cookeville, TN. It has culture and an interstate that can get you into Nashville in 1 hr. 15 minutes. Dale Hollow is to the north, and Center Hill lake is to the west--both absolutely beautiful lakes.

Crossville is another city that's very, very popular with retirees from The North. Fairfield Glade has 3 18 hole golf courses and 2 country clubs. There are also a couple of other golf courses in the city. They're also famous for their Summer Stock theatre. It too sits on I-40, and is an hour from Knoxville.

I've bought a fair amount of beer in the Walmart in Cookeville... 😬

We usually rent from Wisdom, about eight miles out of Albany, KY. Not much there...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom