Join Early Retirement Today

Where to start research on a future trust?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Where to start research on a future trust?

Hello, I had a trust question and thought I would ask for advice.

I have a friend in his early seventies who has a special needs child that wants to set up a trust to provide income after he passes. The child (early twenties) is on the autism scale but fairly functioning (in college now) so this is not a daily needs situation-more of a safety net and to provide long-term supplemental income.

I am going to WAG the estate will be in the 1-1.5 million range. He mentioned maybe splitting the assets between 2 companies/trusts, with a law-firm to audit annually.

I did some searching and have a few resources/websites to give him but figured this would be a great place to ask as well. I am not looking for a solution-just advice to pass to him on where he can start his due diligence.Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Gresh
Gresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a start.

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/...rthy-situation
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

1) No rush on this. Just tell your friend that he needs to get it done and signed by the day before he dies or becomes incapacitated.

2) Special needs trusts are very arcane territory. The issue is to structure the trust so that its existence does not reduce any of the government benefits that the beneficiary may be entitled to.

This is not a nolo.com/Quicken Willmaker type undertaking and state laws may vary. Getting a truly expert attorney will cost him maybe one half of one percent of his estate value. Pretty cheap insurance.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
Hello, I had a trust question and thought I would ask for advice.

I have a friend in his early seventies who has a special needs child that wants to set up a trust to provide income after he passes. The child (early twenties) is on the autism scale but fairly functioning (in college now) so this is not a daily needs situation-more of a safety net and to provide long-term supplemental income.

I am going to WAG the estate will be in the 1-1.5 million range. He mentioned maybe splitting the assets between 2 companies/trusts, with a law-firm to audit annually.

I did some searching and have a few resources/websites to give him but figured this would be a great place to ask as well. I am not looking for a solution-just advice to pass to him on where he can start his due diligence.Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Gresh
NOLO has some good books that cover the basics of trusts and estate planning. They also offer some DIY products, but this is one area where (IMO) it pays to use an attorney. Your friend will need to decide if he wants to leave a special needs trust. Vanguard offers trust management services at a price that is likely much below that of other trust mgmt services.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
1) No rush on this. Just tell your friend that he needs to get it done and signed by the day before he dies or becomes incapacitated.

2) Special needs trusts are very arcane territory. The issue is to structure the trust so that its existence does not reduce any of the government benefits that the beneficiary may be entitled to.

This is not a nolo.com/Quicken Willmaker type undertaking and state laws may vary. Getting a truly expert attorney will cost him maybe one half of one percent of his estate value. Pretty cheap insurance.
My only slight quibble with the above is that your friend might want to start with the nolo.com books on the subject, before seeking out a professional.

I agree that a pro is probably required to deal with a case like this, but the nolo books can get you grounded, so you can talk intelligently with the pro.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies so far. I know my friend will NOT be setting this up himself without an attorney. This is just for him to get enough basic information that he can make intelligent decisions when he brings a professional in.
Gresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
I am not looking for a solution-just advice to pass to him on where he can start his due diligence.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Advise your friend to talk with a good estate attorney, perhaps one that specializes in special needs trusts.

This is not a DIY situation.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote