Which fund to take RMD from?

disneysteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have to start taking RMDs from my inherited IRA this year. The traditional IRA is in 2 bond funds, VBTLX and VUSFX. VBTLX has had a lousy year, down 10+%. VUSFX, being ultra short term, has fared much better, only down about 1%. I have enough in either one of them to cover the RMD. Which would you do and why?

Whichever one got me closer to my target AA in my IPS. If I were already at my target AA, then I'd take from each in proportion.

Whichever one got me closer to my target AA in my IPS. If I were already at my target AA, then I'd take from each in proportion.

They’re both bond funds so not really any difference from an allocation standpoint.

You would have to be able to predict future long term interest rates to make the "right" decision. When in doubt, I split the difference. Do half from each.

You would have to be able to predict future long term interest rates to make the "right" decision. When in doubt, I split the difference. Do half from each.
Darn cloudy crystal ball :LOL:

I think you're right. Just take some from each and be done. In the grand scheme of things, it probably won't make much difference either way.

They’re both bond funds so not really any difference from an allocation standpoint.
What is the sub-allocation of your fixed income allocation? Just as you have an US/International sub-allocation for equities. Take $$ from both ST & IT bond funds in proportion to get back to your target sub-allocation for bonds.

With 1 bond fund down 10% you have to sell a lot more shares at a loss than from the fund that is down just 1%. Wouldn't the obvious answer be the fund that has lost the least is the one to take the RMD from?

I'm confused about this too. I have to take an RMD this year. I go back and forth about whether to take it from the Total Stock Market Index or my Settlement Fund. The TSMI is down a lot so the Settlement Funds seems better. The money will go into my taxable account as I have no need for it as income. I wanted the stock market to be high like 4500 area, take it from TSMI and park the money in the taxable account's Settlement Fund or 1 month T bills and when/if the stock market drops a lot then buy the TSMI in the taxable account. Pure market timing, sell high and buy lower, but it seems like a better method. The point is, all I ever did was accumulate, having to sell something is not something I am familiar with.

I'm not really asking for advice on what to do cuz I don't want to hijack Steve's thread, just expressing how, like Steve, I am not really sure how to handle this as it is something I have never done.

Back
Top Bottom