Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2020, 07:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Like most here, I've never used a debit card for anything other than ATM withdrawals. Cash coming straight out of my checking account always seemed like a horrible idea compared to getting a bill at the end of the month, looking it over, and paying it in one transaction.

Then again, we still keep a check register.

I've also never used a debit card, I think I have one on my HSA account, but I'm not spending from my HSA, saving it. I haven't used an ATM since the 80s.

When I went to online banking, I gave up on the check register, we only write 4 to 6 checks a year and pay 6 to 8 bills online. I do look over the statement to see that everything seems proper.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Only for ATM withdrawals. Does anyone use the HSA Debit card for medical expenses?
Yes, Fidelity's HSA debit card works well for medical/eye purchases. I have yet to try it on over-the-counter medicine/supplies since the CARES act now allows for such.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
Example: Used Discover to purchase $0.26 of produce at Kroger and selected $40 cashback. The machine spit out two twenty dollar bills and the receipt reflects a total purchase for $40.26 with change provided as $40. When the transaction hits Quicken, it has a separate line that states Cash Over Purchase (or something like that; I just delete those lines) and the line for Kroger has $40.26
But you are charged the APR for that cash starting immediately.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have never paid any Fee or Interest for using the Discover cashback feature because the monthly balance is paid in full each month. Since I let Discover autodebit my checking account, I have never been late or paid any interest or fee in decades.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Only for ATM withdrawals. Does anyone use the HSA Debit card for medical expenses?
Yes, DH used his for the first couple of Medicare premium payments before we got the billpay set up.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I use CC's for just about all purchases I make but rarely use any debit cards...Certainly for anything over ~$50. It makes on line purchasing super easy and I get 1.5% cash back on everything I buy. To me that's free money and it's a better return rate than I can get on CD's now .

I never pay any annual fees for my CC's and I also pay off the balance each month so there's no interest to pay... Everything is done on-line so I don't even need to buy stamps.

Another plus, when I buy something off Amazon they "ask" if I'd like to just use the points/credits on the CC that I last used with them.... Almost like getting "things" for free. When I first saw this happening I wasn't sure I liked the idea that Amazon knows that much about my CC accounts. Then I realized, that's probably insignificant compared to what they really know and can do...
Old 12-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

The only debit cards I've used have been rebate or gift cards. And I don't like those, because sometimes they don't work, especially online. I have a $50.00 Visa card (for a rebate) that failed to work in two different stores.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
I have never paid any Fee or Interest for using the Discover cashback feature because the monthly balance is paid in full each month. Since I let Discover autodebit my checking account, I have never been late or paid any interest or fee in decades.
OK, most articles incorrectly state otherwise, but this one clearly says not. https://www.creditcardinsider.com/bl...ash-over-perk/
Old 12-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #29
Administrator

I've have a debit card but have never used it for spending and probably never will. I run everything through a single credit card, which allows me to keep better track of spending and to get the associated points for air travel (assuming we ever get to travel again). I do use it for ATM withdrawals at my bank.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #30

I am part of the "only using debit cards for ATM withdrawals" crowd.

Quote:
I have one but have yet to use it. I prefer to pay for individual expense transactions and will do a bulk withdrawal as desired from my HSA.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Another plus, when I buy something off Amazon they "ask" if I'd like to just use the points/credits on the CC that I last used with them.... Almost like getting "things" for free.
Very minor difference, but I always use my 5% Amazon store card, and have rewards applied to statement credit. If I use my credits at Amazon I miss out on that 5%!
Old 12-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This is incorrect.

Discover provides getting cash at checkout up to $120 per day with absolutely no fees or interest. Do it as much as you want through the month. If you pay it off in full at the end of the month, it's completely free.

I've done it plenty - saves trips to the ATM.

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...purchases.html
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... Does anyone use the HSA Debit card for medical expenses?
No, I pay them using my regular credit card... or some like Part B and Part D premiums are transfers from our checking account... and then once a year I do a withdrawal from the HSA to reimburse myself.

For me it is easier.. besides it is inevitable that DW would pay some HSA qualifing expense with the regular credit card so I would need to make a withdrawal anyway. This keeps it simple.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I use my debit cards for ATM transactions only. Never, ever use them to purchase anything.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
This is incorrect.

Discover provides getting cash at checkout up to $120 per day with absolutely no fees or interest. Do it as much as you want through the month. If you pay it off in full at the end of the month, it's completely free.

I've done it plenty - saves trips to the ATM.

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...purchases.html
Yes, I corrected my earlier post with a reply to CDRE.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #36

Never use a debit card. Got an offer to spend $300 and get $100 with a new debit card, that is the only reason I'm using one now.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks all.

I have used my debit card in the past for many purchase but, will change that now. I am turning over a new leaf ... like Scrooge on Christmas morning!
CC for all purchases, DC for ATM cash only

God bless us one and all!
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
I use my debit cards for ATM transactions only. Never, ever use them to purchase anything.
Seems like most of us, me included.

I went a step too far, and it gave me trouble.

Had the Visa logo debit for travel ATM cash, worked great, but I didn't want the Visa logo, I wanted "just an ATM card", and my credit union swapped it. The next trip, it didn't work. Even though it said "Cirrus network" or whatever on the card and several ATM's I tried, it never worked. Various matching networks, various ATMs. So when I got home, I ditched the no-logo ATM only card back to the Visa logo card, and the next trip, worked fine.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I got rid of our debit cards about 15 years ago due to security concerns. Banks always want to issue them to us and we refuse. Now with Covid I use my credit card for everything and will probably continue that practice after Covid. Get cash back on our credit card.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Seems like most of us, me included.

I went a step too far, and it gave me trouble.

Had the Visa logo debit for travel ATM cash, worked great, but I didn't want the Visa logo, I wanted "just an ATM card", and my credit union swapped it. The next trip, it didn't work. Even though it said "Cirrus network" or whatever on the card and several ATM's I tried, it never worked. Various matching networks, various ATMs. So when I got home, I ditched the no-logo ATM only card back to the Visa logo card, and the next trip, worked fine.
Yep, gotta have a VISA or MasterCard logo for ATM use in Europe. I had to “upgrade” one of mine.