Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I had BofA give me ATM only for a long time on request but I eventually upgraded to a VISA logo debit card for overseas ATM use. But then I never used it because BofA charged a $5 fee plus 3% foreign exchange fee on overseas ATM withdrawals. The $5 fee could be avoided if you found a partner bank, but in practice these were very few and hard to find.
They aren't quite that bad now (if platinum honors preferred), but schwab and fidelity are hands down better when out of the USA.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 02:33 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It used to be that women were stuck using checks in line because they didn't make enough money to get a credit card. I've read that in the 1970's, some credit card companies wouldn't give a card to single or divorced women at all.

Got my first credit card (had an annual fee) at age 24, when my income hit their floor of $15K. Was never so glad to be free of paying at the counter by check!

But it was some time in the 90's that I went to a beauty-supply place, where the customers were all women, and I was the only one in the very long line who pulled out a credit card instead of a checkbook. Grocery stores, too, were places where checks were used.

I wonder if most debit card users nowadays are still women?
It’s true that women had difficulty getting credit cards in the 70s, this included married women in their own name*, but I’m pretty sure grocery stores didn’t accept credit cards back then either. It took a long time for most grocery stores to accept credit cards.

Here is a blast from the past. Apparently it started becoming far more common after 1991. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...393-story.html

That seems about right. I would say the 90s is about when we started using credit cards at grocery stores. Our household switched to a credit card only policy as soon as we could, lol, especially when perks/rewards became available. I still carry a checkbook with me just in case, but I haven’t run into an emergency requiring use of it. I’m sure one would happen as soon as I didn’t have it in my purse, lol! More convenient to write a check than go find an ATM.

*Ruth Bader Ginsberg helped pave the way: https://time.com/nextadvisor/credit-...t-card-legacy/
Old 12-12-2020, 03:50 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I have never used my debit card for purchases of any kind. Security and transaction protection being the prime reasons. I have always paid off CC's monthly.

I only use it at an ATM for cash.
+1.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bonds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:31 AM   #104

Quote:
I have never used my debit card for purchases of any kind. Security and transaction protection being the prime reasons. I have always paid off CC's monthly.

Ditto on all points.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I HATE debit cards... I refuse to get one... I insist that they give me a regular ATM card... my decision is based on working at a bank for over 20 years... I even sent a nasty note to the EVP of the retail bank when they sent me a debit card without me asking!!!
You sound exactly like my DW! Worked at the bank and won't get one.

Worse yet, she worked in the back office procedural area and she had "stories." She was unimpressed with a lot of things about debit cards, not just the lack of protection we see as consumers, but the actual internal procedures.

Yep. She saw the sausage being made and now refuses to eat it.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #106

I use mine only for ATM withdrawals. I stopped using Debit cards for purchases a long time ago; I just see no benefit to them anymore. Back in the "olden days" before credit card rebates, I used Debit cards for restaurants and buying gifts -- I had a philosophical distaste for buying anything with my credit card that I could not see when the monthly bill came
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

+1
Same here.

-AM23
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It used to be that women were stuck using checks in line because they didn't make enough money to get a credit card. I've read that in the 1970's, some credit card companies wouldn't give a card to single or divorced women at all.
I remember seeing I Love Lucy shows where Ricky was constantly threatening to close Lucy's accounts at various stores in NYC. It worked for at least 5 minutes of show time.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #109

I haven't used a debit card in years, and then only for ATM withdrawals which would not incur a charge.

DH has a debit card for ATM withdrawals. (Initially he used them for shopping and cash back until I reviewed the charges and risks, and that stopped.) He now uses a CC for almost all purchases, including gas.

I use a CC for online purchases. I pay off the balance about once a week so don't incur fees.

For most small in store purchases, I pay cash (although trying to limit store visits now). And yes, I add up the cost of the items in my head and have the money in hand before I get to the register.

When I need cash (and DH isn't around) I gasp!!!! go to the local bank and make a withdrawal. The bank is near McDonalds and that's an excuse for a large black coffee.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is my unsolicited advice to anyone of any gender who shops where there are lines to checkout. Spend at least a second while you're standing in line to think about the fact that you will need to pay when you get to the front of that line, and have your method of payment ready. The time to search through your pockets, purse, tote bag, or backpack to find your cash, checkbook or charge card is not after your items have been rung up.

Around here, people will just fume silently, but when I was in NYC, if you didn't have your money ready, the other people behind you in line would let you know about their displeasure. Loudly and profanely in some cases.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've read that in the 1970's, some credit card companies wouldn't give a card to single or divorced women at all.

In the early 1980's they wouldn't give one to a single male under 25 with a steady job, no debt, and a 7 year work history either. Simply being married was an enormous force multiplier whether or not you actually had any money. There's a joke in here somewhere about being "on the hook" in more ways than one.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
In the early 1980's they wouldn't give one to a single male under 25 with a steady job, no debt, and a 7 year work history either. Simply being married was an enormous force multiplier whether or not you actually had any money. There's a joke in here somewhere about being "on the hook" in more ways than one.
My first CC came from the bank I had my checking and savings account with. I was 22, single, male, and working for 6 months. I had student loans but was still within the 6-month grace period so no payments were due yet. The bank reduced its annual fee which was helpful, in enticing new customers. It was a bank rep who approached me at its ATM which got me started.

And once I had a CC, it became a lot easier to get another one, especially if it had low or a waived annual fee. This was the mid-to-late 1980s when annual fees were common. In 1989, through one of those unsolicited things in the mail, I signed up for a no-annual-fee card, a rarity back then. When ATT introduced its no-lifetime-fee ATT Universal card (also a phone card, remember those?) around 1990, annual fees began disappearing quickly.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A slew of us single males age 20 took a bus to the local JC Penny and signed up for their card, used it, and established credit. This was a college town and JCP advertised this to us. I think the limit was $200. Didn't matter, it got us on the radar.

That record helped me work my way up to real credit after school.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
This thread got me thinking. When was the last time you used a check to pay at a typical store? (Not buying a car or anything.)

For me, it was probably 1986.

The last time I saw someone pull out their checkbook was about 2 years ago.
i do the grocery shopping usually on saturday mornings. a few weeks back i was #2 at the checkout with just a few items but the lady in front of me had a fairly full cart. the checker was checking and the bagger was bagging. when the checker finished and told the woman the total then, and only then, did she open her purse and start rooting around in her purse, presumanbly for her wallet. nope. out \comes the checkbook. well, i'm retired. i've got nowhere to be and all day to get there.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My first CC came from the bank I had my checking and savings account with. I was 22, single, male, and working for 6 months. I had student loans but was still within the 6-month grace period so no payments were due yet. The bank reduced its annual fee which was helpful, in enticing new customers. It was a bank rep who approached me at its ATM which got me started...
married at 19 and 18 in 1970 our first CC was from K-Mart. flash forward to 1971. after a year of saving for it we started planning the honeymoon we didn't have and in the course of planning we developed a budget intending to pay cash and use AmEx traveler's checks (remember those?). a few days later the monthly statement from K-Mart arrived. the outstanding balance was a bit over $1000! on a K-Mart CC! so we took the cash we had saved, paid off the CC and since then have carried a balance on a CC only one or two times since then and never since 1980.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i do the grocery shopping usually on saturday mornings. a few weeks back i was #2 at the checkout with just a few items but the lady in front of me had a fairly full cart. the checker was checking and the bagger was bagging. when the checker finished and told the woman the total then, and only then, did she open her purse and start rooting around in her purse, presumanby for her wallet. nope. out comes the checkbook. well, i'm retired. i've got nowhere to be and all day to get there.
Flashback! So it still happens? Dang.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a B of A ATM card only. That and two CC’s (1 rewards) are all I need.
I’ve played the sign up bonus game for years and my credit score continues to
go up. I’ve never used a debit card. No use.
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

For the people who have a debit card ONLY for ATM.... well, it still can be 'stolen' or cloned and used... you are then at the mercy of the bank getting your cash back...

With an ATM only card I do not have to worry about that...

Edit to add...

I recently had a CC cloned and they bought about $450 of gas at different stations... called and got a new CC right away, no hassle... not a guarantee if it were a debit card...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #119
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...nd-debit-cards

Based on this article from the FTC, as long as you report the debit card as stolen your liability is limited. Max out of pocket if you report it within 60 days is $500. I think i would notice within 60 days if it were to be gone
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

As a single woman in the early 80s, I got a bank card in my own name, by getting an account at that bank and paying a fee (I think it was $29 a year). So I don't know who "they" were who dissed you like that, but I didn't have to get married to get a CC. And boy was I glad to ditch that $##! checkbook at the point of sale. It was also nice not to have to go to the airport and pay cash to buy an airplane ticket.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote