Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In general, what you hear about debit card fraud is that it is fixable and gets fixed by the bank. It just tends to be a bit more hassle, especially if overdraws occur.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Trying to figure out what OWT means....
OldShooter?
Anybody?
Old 12-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...nd-debit-cards

Based on this article from the FTC, as long as you report the debit card as stolen your liability is limited. Max out of pocket if you report it within 60 days is $500. I think i would notice within 60 days if it were to be gone
another tool, if your bank offers it, are text and/or e-mail norifications on all account activity...deposits and withdrawls (checks, ACH auto-debits, ATM). we have our alert threshold set to >$1. anyone jacking our account will be noticed immediately. all of our CCs are set the same way.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

I've always had just one, the ATM card. Sometimes I've needed it to work as a debit.

Not getting rid of it ever.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

OWT = Old Wives' Tale
Old 12-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #126

I recently used a debit card. I was buying hair color (to be applied by me) from my hairdresser and to do it all online I had to use a debit card. So, I dug it out and used it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:31 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Online use of debit cards don’t generally require a PIN. They require expiration date and CCV just like credit cards.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
As a single woman in the early 80s, I got a bank card in my own name, by getting an account at that bank and paying a fee (I think it was $29 a year). So I don't know who "they" were who dissed you like that, but I didn't have to get married to get a CC. And boy was I glad to ditch that $##! checkbook at the point of sale. It was also nice not to have to go to the airport and pay cash to buy an airplane ticket.

I was an under 25 male then and I only got a CC from the bank because of my job... had to open a checking account and have the paycheck deposited there automatically.... and they TOLD me that... a whopping $300 of credit...

Took me less than a year to get other credit...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...nd-debit-cards

Based on this article from the FTC, as long as you report the debit card as stolen your liability is limited. Max out of pocket if you report it within 60 days is $500. I think i would notice within 60 days if it were to be gone

But read the next line... UNLIMITED.... with a CC the max is $50 no matter what...

Sure, you should notice in 60 days but why have something that can lead to more IF you do not do anything... a ticking time bomb IMO...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #130

I used them for awhile no problems. I like that the money came right out of the checking account. No bill to pay or be late with. The only things is it would be wise to get two checking accounts if they shut down one to work out a problem.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

My only debit card is a Target debit card which I get 5% back on every Target purchase. My credit cards give me rebates of 1%, 2%, 3% using a Citibank at Costco. I get 5% rebate at Amazon.com using my Amazon credit card. I have been so spoiled that I refused to use a credit card or a debit card from a bank without a rebate.

I do not pay cash for most things because I do not get a rebate.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #132

DW and I keep a small checking account with a debit card that pays ATM transaction fees. We use it a lot when traveling, as it's easier and safer than toting around a wad of cash.

Unfortunately, we haven't been traveling much this year, so the account has been dormant probably since October 2019. I tried to use the card at an ATM over the weekend and it had been deactivated. I had to call the bank yesterday to get them to issue us new cards.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Like the others...i use my ATM/debit card for ATM only. I have never, nor would ever want to use my Debit card for purchases. Very risky...I pay my Credit card off faithfully every month.
2retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #134
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think usually when you use a credit card to get cash you start paying interest from that day, regardless of when you pay the bill. That's the main reason for using a debit card instead at the ATM.
Correct. Gotta have a debit card for that purpose alone.
carty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

I have virtually stopped using cash except for gifts. Chase tried issuing my husband a debit card when we expressly requested an ATM card. I threw a hissy-fit at the branch, they tried to tell me that it was the same and that they don't provide ATM cards anymore. I almost told them that we would close the account but somehow they managed to send DH an ATM card.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by carty1 View Post
Or as I refer to it, my ATM card. I would never take cash from a credit card. That is a cash advance loan with a huge, daily interest..
2retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Several banks give us the option of locking our debit card.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by carty1 View Post
not with a Discover Card when you get cash back with a purchase. when we're on an RV trip we usually replenish or cash when getting groceries. that's usually limited to $60 but we're in stores often enough making that limit irrelevent. Discover treats that cash back as part of the purchase. and in the rare case we need cash from a bank ATM using our bank's debit card our bank refunds all foreign bank ATM charges.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Does anyone use the HSA Debit card for medical expenses?
I keep & use debit cards for
- HSA eligible purchases
- Buying groceries at stores that are debit-card-only
- Buying gas, saving 5 cents per gallon
- Getting cash back at Krogers/Target
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Probably I already was doing that to get free checking.

The only real issue I had with sexism in banking, was when I bought my first house. I applied for my loan through the real estate agent instead of going into a bank, and since I was an ideal customer, with a down payment, sufficient salary, savings, no debt, excellent credit and a unisex name that could easily have been male, there were no hiccups getting that 13.75% loan (groan).

But when I called the bank, about 3 weeks in, to find out the closing date, and they heard a young woman's voice, the next thing was a call back saying I needed a co-signer. The bank suggested "your father," which was not only sexist but futile. My dad wouldn't have cosigned a loan for Jesus himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I was an under 25 male then and I only got a CC from the bank because of my job... had to open a checking account and have the paycheck deposited there automatically.... and they TOLD me that... a whopping $300 of credit...

Took me less than a year to get other credit...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote