Who/How am I billed for Part D IRMAA adder?

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In yesterday's mail I received a poorly-written letter from the SSA telling me that in effect, they will be holding onto ALL of my little spousal SS to pay for my 2022 IRMAA Tier 1-dinged $238.10 Part B. And that I owe them XX $. Four pages of stuff of little value. Took us hours to go over and over the numbers we knew, trying to figure out how they came up with their bill $ to me, and was it $ per-month (wrong), $ per 3 month (wrong) or a total $ I need to pay them in one lump sum for 2022? (we think that is the correct one). I think most Jr. High kids could have written a shorter, clearer more informative letter.

Sooo, what about IRMAA for Medicare Part D? Who bills me for that? Will it be a lump-sum for the upcoming year?, or monthly? How does one pay it?

2022 will be the first, and probably the last year of IRMAA for me.

The one year it happened to us, I set up autopay with SSA and had it pulled from my checking account monthly. It's been a while but I think I got a notice from SSA regarding it.

In yesterday's mail I received a poorly-written letter from the SSA telling me that in effect, they will be holding onto ALL of my little spousal SS to pay for my 2022 IRMAA Tier 1-dinged $238.10 Part B. And that I owe them XX $. Four pages of stuff of little value. Took us hours to go over and over the numbers we knew, trying to figure out how they came up with their bill $ to me, and was it $ per-month (wrong), $ per 3 month (wrong) or a total $ I need to pay them in one lump sum for 2022? (we think that is the correct one). I think most Jr. High kids could have written a shorter, clearer more informative letter.

Sooo, what about IRMAA for Medicare Part D? Who bills me for that? Will it be a lump-sum for the upcoming year?, or monthly? How does one pay it?

if it isn't being deducted from your Social Security (mine is) it will be invoiced by CMMS. Prior to Medicare I had all my CMMS bills on direct debit through my bank account. You can pay the old fashioned was as well.

They will send you a bill. We use billpay at a brokerage account to pay our CMS Medicare bills. You can also use a credit card to pay online.

We set up EasyPay on the Medicare website. They withdraw everything from our checking that isn’t paid directly to the supplement/prescription companies.

Did you just start Medicare? My MIL is paying IRMAA for 2021 and the letter she got a year ago was pretty straight forward with breakouts of income & charges.
* 2021 monthly premium
* 2021 monthly Part B deduction - both the total and & separate line breakout of std Part B premium + Part B IRMAA deduction
* 2021 monthly Part D deduction
* final monthly benefit amount after deductions

However, she has been receiving SS & Medicare for a number of years and her benefits were sufficient to cover all the IRMAA deductions and still have some benefit left to be deposited in the bank. Though this the first year and hopefully last she pays IRMAA.

Last edited:
Update!

I received a letter from CMS two days ago. It was the infamous CMS-500 form, with the usual "This is not a bill" printed in the box in the upper right corner. I hadn't received one of these since SSA started pulling Part B premiums from my little spousal SS benefit.

But this copy had printed in RED, that I owed them $12.40 for the Part D IRMAA for January 2022, and it was due 12/25! Gee, doesn't leave a lot of time for mail, this time of year, does it! And also in RED, it pointed down to the tear-off and stated send it back with my payment of check, money order, or credit card (must include credit card # and signature, as they need signature).
OKAY... but what about just deducting the $12.40 monthly from my EasyPay, that the form shows I'm signed up for? Like they were using before SSA started deducting Part B premiums?

So I called Medicare today and waited out the 25 minutes. Once I explained, the agent went off for 5 minutes to research it. Came back and said they WILL use EasyPay to pull the $12.40 Part D IRMAA. Good!
Now I need to be watching that they DO pull it on the 20th, and don't pull anything else!

Oh, the letter came with a folded note with samples of NEW forms for 2022! The NEW CMS-500 form looks different, and will only be a bill. A totally NEW form, CMS-20143, will be a "Medicare Easy Pay Premium Statement". Glory Be! So pulling those COBOL programmers out of nursing homes to make changes worked! Or, at least the forms will be there. We'll see if they linked them all up right :D I'm going to keep a positive attitude about it :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom