Join Early Retirement Today

Who Is Buying?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Who Is Buying?

Sitting on the sidelines with a lot more cash than I want to have because the market is so flaky. Where do you hide from the volatility? I'll be looking at FAX, FCO and TGINX when the market opens on Monday after a big down day Friday. Anyone see any bargains out there?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Everything is well within my rebalance bands, so standing pat.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I buy twice a month as usual via 401k contributions. Other than that, I am not out of balance and stuff I would like to buy is not quite cheap enough for me to liquidate bonds and jump in, aside from what I have already bought (AXL, most recently).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

On Friday, I bought a few blue chip stocks that had become cheap enough to interest me.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Like brewer I buy twice a month. It will be whatever needs to be boosted to maintain my asset allocation, I'm guessing total international.

DD
Old 06-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #6

Being retired I will shift things around but it's more rebalancing.

Despite I say I won't market time, I am close to moving some from my Stable Value fund to an index fund that tracks the S&P 500 in my 401k, I kept some money in the 401k when I retired prior to 59 1/2 and never moved it. Yeah this would be a market timing move, looking for about 1250 or 1260 on the S&P 500 and I'd leave it there until mid/3rd week in July then move it back to the Stable Value fund. If it goes lower to say 1210 I'd move some more. Seems we are over sold, time for a bounce, earnings reports out in early July, bonds yielding nothing with nav increases with yield increases that are due one day but it is summer and I suspect July-October will be a dangerous time to try and time anything.

If I am wrong, buy and things go down and stay there I can wait until they recover. I am not moving a lot, maybe changing from say 35/65 to 40/60 or 50/50 at the most. While I try to stay the course I feel like gambling just a little, it's an acceptable risk, not like going to 60/40 or 70/30!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44 View Post
Anyone see any bargains out there?
This board is nowhere near enough doomy & gloomy to start buying.

But when prices dip down below their long-term averages then I'll buy more of our Dow Dividend and international value ETFs (DVY, EFV).

Y'all have two or three months left to get some really good despair going before Wall Street execs come back from their Hamptons...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #8

Staying the course. Still buying regularly as I accumulate on my preset allocation.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I put myself all in last week...no guts no glory
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went "shopping" on Friday and scooped up some more of a Canadian utility stock that I have which pays a nice dividend.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am finished selling but not close to buying yet.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #12

I went out, not in. I rebalanced from the run up.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Only mutual fund investor here along w/ TSP. Sold off chunk of SP 500 Index and moved all my TSP into G-Fund back in April-May. Waiting for a major fall to move back into Small Cap. Staying put in my other funds since I recently rebalanced and moved into a couple of new sectors (energy).
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44 View Post
Sitting on the sidelines with a lot more cash than I want to have because the market is so flaky. Where do you hide from the volatility? I'll be looking at FAX, FCO and TGINX when the market opens on Monday after a big down day Friday. Anyone see any bargains out there?

DH/I sold some of our gold and silver (held in GLD and SLV) a couple months ago, and I've been waiting to buy into a healthcare REIT. I'm still researching, with an eye on the market...I'd like to see it pull back a little further.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #15

Been buying TGINX,PONDX, MLPY and GABUX. Sold about 1/2 my individual stock positions, moving to mutual funds and CEFs.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am finished selling but not close to buying yet.
Ditto!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka
Being retired I will shift things around but it's more rebalancing.

Despite I say I won't market time, I am close to moving some from my Stable Value fund to an index fund that tracks the S&P 500 in my 401k, I kept some money in the 401k when I retired prior to 59 1/2 and never moved it. Yeah this would be a market timing move, looking for about 1250 or 1260 on the S&P 500 and I'd leave it there until mid/3rd week in July then move it back to the Stable Value fund. If it goes lower to say 1210 I'd move some more. Seems we are over sold, time for a bounce, earnings reports out in early July, bonds yielding nothing with nav increases with yield increases that are due one day but it is summer and I suspect July-October will be a dangerous time to try and time anything.

If I am wrong, buy and things go down and stay there I can wait until they recover. I am not moving a lot, maybe changing from say 35/65 to 40/60 or 50/50 at the most. While I try to stay the course I feel like gambling just a little, it's an acceptable risk, not like going to 60/40 or 70/30!
Im only buying S&P below 1150. And then increase my investment for every further 100 point drop. I'm no longer an investor above 1150, with the exception of dividends.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have been making final adjustments to prepare for FIRE over the last year. I rebalanced to our strategic target over the last month.

We do not need to touch our equity holdings for years.

The only equity I am buying right now is when a mutual fund manager rebalances (we hold a couple of balanced funds).

Other than that I will rebalance to our strategic target (buy equity) if the correction takes my equity position under a certain threshold.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Ditto!
+1
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

You nor anyone else can predict what the market will do, why would you sit it out? When will you jump back in? How will you know?
Set an AA and stay the course.