Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It pissed him off that an RN could make as much as a high grade government employee.
Heck, an RN can save my life; don't think the gubmint folks could do that (regardless of what they are trying to push, these days) ...

You're worth it...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No one, including myself.

Some numbers used to show up in my checking account, result of direct deposit. Occasionally balanced checkbook within a few hundred bucks. All checks I rounded to the next dollar when subtracting.

Being a cheapskate, there was always enough.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

The only one who knew how much I made was the IRS. Now, I told DH how much I made, but he didn't pay much attention to it or how much he made until raise time came around.

He knew I took care of the finances, so it never mattered much to him.

Even though we get a pension, we make nuthin' now. He's able to remember that easily.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

When asked, i've told my parents, brother, grandma, and aunt. I wish I hadn't. My brother makes barely half what I make and the only three other people my age in the family(cousins) make just as little so my $48K/yr seems really high. I'd rather them think i'm as poor as the rest.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We decided at a very early age that if our kids knew what I made (DW now works too), there would be no way that we could get them to accept the number of refusals for clothes and treats which they were getting.

On the other hand, we never refused a request for sports equipment, tuition, or travel. When our daughter was 14 she had a school friend leave to return to Buenos Aires. There was an open invitation to come visit, but we were the only one to pick it up. We didn't think twice about paying for the air fare, but we made sure that she knew that this was onl possible because of our consistent, ah, thrift in other areas.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I guess the flip-side of this is do you ever tell people how much you have? My answer still is no, I keep that info close to my chest. If folks persist, I get in "lecture mode" and say "if you have kids start starting out a career, tell them to invest early, max out their 401Ks and IRAs, LBYM, etc. etc." often for some reason this is a conversation killer

It was simpler when I was w*rking, because others didn't know squat. But now when folks know I've FIRE'd some misunderstandingly assume....FIRE'd = loaded with $$$.

Whereas, for me FIRE'd = living on a fixed income, have to watch budget closer, have to make what I have last a lifetime.

Not that I'm complaining, as I'd much rather be where I am now, than still in the rat race.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife, my accountant and the IRS. My son has a pretty good idea.

No one else.

I would never reveal my income to friends or family, to much chance it would cause problems. When the chance arises, I always do anything reasonably possible (without lying) to make it look smaller than it actually is. My father ask directly as one point and I just told him, more than X where X is about 33% of what I really make. My lifestyle is consistent with X, so I felt safe with that.

My wife thinks I am paranoid, but I think only bad things can come of anyone knowing what we make, or our net worth.

Oddly, I actually think it might be a good idea if everyone's tax return was public knowledge. Problems would be created, but I think the sum total would be positive. I know that sounds nuts.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My accountant and Revenue Canada know exactly what I earn. With close family I have shared only on an as needed basis. Like Fuego, if interested in a new opportunity I will provide a general range if it will get me the information I need to know whether I am interested in pursuing the opportunity. Other than that it's MYOB.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Everybody and nobody knew what I made when I was working. I say everybody because as a public employee my salary was a matter of public record and anyone with the inclination could have found the amount. I also say nobody because except for DH (who was not that interested in finances) I would not reveal the amount even when asked. My mother asked several times over the years but I would not answer (I am sure she knew ballpark) for the same reason I didn't answer my 6 year old niece---both lacked the good judgement about who and when to reveal this info. I wouldn't have minded them knowing, but I didn't want it to be a topic of conversation.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My GF, my Dad (mom probably has a ballpark idea), my brother, and one of my good friends. As far a knowing what I have, it includes a couple of guys that I work with in my sailing, because both of them retired from "real" work young (one from IT at 40 and the other from owning a small video store that he sold before the DVD ate the industry alive). The IT guy works 6 months a year as a ship captain for fun, the other spends winters managing snow groomers in Vail (comes with an all valley ski pass) and summers being a sailing captain on Lake Michigan. They know because I've asked them for advise, recommendations, and one fo them used to be my roommate/landlord (and may I say that a roommate who spends half the year living in Vail and leaving me in his very nice condo is a GOOD roommate!)

I think that, within my immediate family, it's not a huge issue, in large part because I don't think that we are valuing people based on earnings. My sister and brother are both married, my sister with a new master's degree, my brother managing a dairy making (very good) cheese. Both make enough to live, my brother works his tail off, and in the very near future may go from making 2/3 what I do to making 5/3 what I do, and more power to him. I make more than they do, but don't enjoy what I'm doing as much, and will do other things when I can. We're not competing.

My GF knows because she wants to know when I can walk away and do fun wanderings with her for indefinate periods, and is willing to wait, but is as impatient about it as I am, and eager to figure out how she can help speed things up!
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I guess the flip-side of this is do you ever tell people how much you have?
This has always been easy for me. "I have nothing but debt"; etc. I would never share that I have a positive net worth (even once it is true).

I will usually share a ballpark salary income; though I've shared my exact income with my DF and my best friend.
Coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #32

My salary is known by the IRS and my employer. My DW sees my previous years income on our joint tax filing. I have no reason to keep my salary a secret from her. I don't even know exactly what I made the previous year until tax time. I am mostly concerned with how much I have to spend after bills are paid and savings are taken out.

I can't even remember any friends or family asking me how much I make or how much I am worth, this is a topic that was normally never discussed by my immediate family when I was growing up so I guess I sort of continue it.

Most people that know me fairly well know that I am debt free and that we live below my means. They also know that I want to RE if I can ever get enough saved to do it.
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My SO knows.

Nobody has ever asked me how much I make, but some of my friends freely share their money information; some in detail. I do share my annual budget info with friends though.

After reading this thread, I am thinking I may give a huge range if ever asked...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #34

My wife.
The partners in my firm.
Two banks that I obtained loans from know what I earned at the time of application.
Tax authorities.
People who know which firm I work for will be able to guess a range as the average profit per partner is published data.

It's kind of scary when I think about it. I would rather that nobody knew.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #35

Uh, no one really other than my accountant. I earn a fairly modest salary but with great benefits. I have a lot of tax deferred income and will earn more after age 60.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Oddly, I actually think it might be a good idea if everyone's tax return was public knowledge. Problems would be created, but I think the sum total would be positive. I know that sounds nuts.
This is actually the case in France. You can go along to the tax office and ask to see what your neighbour filed last year. The press regularly trawls through politicians' returns.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #37

If many of you made under 30k or a low wage would you feel the same way?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #38

My salary is on the web, in a search able database...
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #39

DW and close friends.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
If many of you made under 30k or a low wage would you feel the same way?
Given my education and experience, I would not disclose that I'm making only $30k if I were working in one of my current professions. Unless I had a "fun job" that I should have been paying to work at. Or a public interest law job, where that isn't too far from a typical salary.