Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not in every state. I think Alaska, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri (some counties), Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming are non disclosure states which do not consider the sale amount a matter of public record.
Does Zillow work in these states? That is usually where I look up home sales.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #102
Administrator

Quote:
Not in every state. I think Alaska, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri (some counties), Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming are non disclosure states which do not consider the sale amount a matter of public record.
Do they not have property taxes and the associated tax assessor's database?
Old 11-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Texan here. Zillow and the county all publish the sales price. In fact with knowledge of prop tax adhustments, you can determine who is over 65, who is a disabled veteran, and surmise just how disabled. Just by looking at the county website. Which you need to do before you buy. Example: ad May say prop taxes last year 8k. But when you look it up, you'll see some categories are frozen and the owner is also a DV. If you are not, and you buy that prop, next year your tax bill may look VERY diff.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Does Zillow work in these states? That is usually where I look up home sales.
No home sales info available. Zillow numbers are estimates of market value, often usually far from accurate.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Texan here. Zillow and the county all publish the sales price.
In Texas, the county publishes tax appraisal price, not sales price. Zillow prices are estimates, they do not have access to actual sales prices.

The Real Estate industry has successfully lobbied against making sales prices of real estate public. This way you are almost forced to use the services of a Realtor to learn comparable market values when buying or selling.

Edit: From a real estate website, quoting a real estate agent in Texas...

Quote:
Here's a list of the Non-Disclosure states, as reported by Realtor.com

http://www.realtor.com/home-values/H...sclosurestates

Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming

In these states, the ONLY WAY to secure accurate sold comps, will be through someone who has access to the MLS. No Zillow, Trulia, Public Records, Redfin, Realtor.com, etc.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Do they not have property taxes and the associated tax assessor's database?
Yes, this information is available online.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

I talked to a couple friends several times about how and why I'm keeping my taxable income lower in retirement (as a tax strategy) and their only take-away from all our talks was, "you live like a pauper." One of them said this at a party we attended and she too is in retirement. She totally did not understand the concept of withdrawing from different 'buckets' and how that's advantageous because the IRS doesn't tax withdrawals from regular savings and CDs, unlike they do for pre-tax IRAs and 401Ks.

What her comment told me is she absorbed nothing about what I talked about and that people don't get it. Speaking about your own situation is a waste of breath.

If you want to educate people and help them then talk about how important it is to use 401K and IRAs, why it's good to have a growing nest egg, in other words, advice they can use for themselves. What you're specifically doing and how you're doing it will not make the impact you think it will, and it can cause a lot of confusion and even some resentment.
IrishMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #108

I’ve spent far too much time trying to educate adults on financial literacy just to realize they nod appreciatively, thank me and don’t change their habits. No more. But with my kids (who are still kids) I take every teaching moment opportunity to help ingrain good habits and mindset. And I volunteer for Jr Acheivement in schools to teach entrepreneurship and financial literacy. Kids are a more receptive audience than grown ups.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
I’ve spent far too much time trying to educate adults on financial literacy just to realize they nod appreciatively, thank me and don’t change their habits.....
Yup. I recall a conversation with some good friends who are recently retired... but he still works part time. They have ACA health insurance like we do.

She was so proud that they had a platinum level ACA plan... almost puffing out her chest. And then I explained that our health care costs are negligible since we are healthly so we preferred a catastrophic plan since the premiums were so much lower our total health care costs of premiums, deductibles and co-pays were low.

Her husband was intrigued by the idea... I think he "got it"... but she didn't.... in her mind, platinum was the only/best way to go.... even though the premiums for their platinum plan were $15k a year more than the premiums for our plan... all they are doing prepaying a deductible that more often than not they'll never use.

Thankfully, they are both eligible for Medicare now.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #110

We keep all our finances in MS Money and have been using it since 1989. My wife has access to this data and it contains all our assets. In addition, we went completely paperless over 11 years ago so all statements are kept on our home network server and backed up onto other media.

As far as immediate family and friends, family members are savvy enough to figure out that we had the financial means to retire early and maintain three homes but they don't know how much we have nor do they care. My childhood friends retired five years ago like I did but we never discuss numbers but they are smart enough to know what it costs to maintain our lifestyle. They have similar lifestyles. They have been to our homes in Florida and Switzerland many times and they are smart enough to figure out that we manage ourselves well financially. For that matter so do they.

As for our other friends and neighbors, they are completely baffled by how anyone can retire early and live in Southern California. Many are older than we are and have been living on the edge and are planning to move out of state after they retire. This seems to be a trend in California, elderly people with almost no savings and younger low income earners who can't afford to live here are moving out of state. More affluent people are moving into California driving up home prices. To me that's a win win situation.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #111

Quote:
In Texas, the county publishes tax appraisal price, not sales price. Zillow prices are estimates, they do not have access to actual sales prices.

The Real Estate industry has successfully lobbied against making sales prices of real estate public. This way you are almost forced to use the services of a Realtor to learn comparable market values when buying or selling.

Edit: From a real estate website, quoting a real estate agent in Texas...

Just for giggles I went into Zillow and looked up recent home sales in my Texas county. Every sale I checked had the sales price. I checked the verbiage looking for words like "estimate" or an asterisk taking me to a subnote saying it was an estimate etc. It was the sales price. I even checked my house and it was accurate. It also listed the source of the info. In every instance, it was the realtor, and provided the realtor's name (and photo). My realtor's comps from MLS always aligned with Zillow. If the realtors are providing the sales price, like they are in my area, do they have an incentive to lie upwards or lie downwards? Both and neither I would say because they want those selling to think they will get a high price and those buying they will get a low price. So I think they incentive is to be accurate. This is my speculation. Now if you purchased a property say early 1990's or something, I would not count on your purchase price being a published number. But if you bought lately, plan on it being public.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #112

As for sharing info to help advise others, far from necessary, and as most here have stated - fairly useless to try.
Two friends have asked for advice. One never followed through, the other was already on track to changing his future and really just needed the encouragement that 50 is not to late. He may not get to millions and retired early, but he's now in track to have a few $100K banked and SS instead of SS and debt.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #113

The people I shared details with weren't people I was trying to advise, they are childhood friends who are alternate trustees on our revocable living trust, and alternate guardians for the kid. I trust and like them more than most of my blood relatives.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I agree with others here that most people don't get it or think they know it all. It is hard to determine if someone is really interested or just being polite.

I wonder how other cultures handle money discussions. How do Germans or French or UK people talk about this? Is it verboten?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Lots of comments and admittedly I have only read the first 10 or so. For me, it's stealth wealth all the way. There are very few people who know what we have accumulated in our lives. Early on, I let a handful of friends know of our situation and a couple of them have turned out to be quite resentful in our "status" and makes social outings uncomfortable. I am not out to be a FA for my friends and family, and to be honest, I don't think they want my opinion, anyway.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Don't know how all folks from the UK handle it but my family experience is that the Scots hold it very close to their chest. That was my upbringing and from what I could see was common to those with the same background.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just for giggles I went into Zillow and looked up recent home sales in my Texas county. Every sale I checked had the sales price. I checked the verbiage looking for words like "estimate" or an asterisk taking me to a subnote saying it was an estimate etc. It was the sales price. I even checked my house and it was accurate. It also listed the source of the info. In every instance, it was the realtor, and provided the realtor's name (and photo). My realtor's comps from MLS always aligned with Zillow. If the realtors are providing the sales price, like they are in my area, do they have an incentive to lie upwards or lie downwards? Both and neither I would say because they want those selling to think they will get a high price and those buying they will get a low price. So I think they incentive is to be accurate. This is my speculation. Now if you purchased a property say early 1990's or something, I would not count on your purchase price being a published number. But if you bought lately, plan on it being public.
I just looked up my home in Texas that we bought in 2014. Zillow's "sale" price is about 10% more than what we paid. Actually, that price was the listing price at the time.

It now values our home at what the County appraises it for tax purposes. We just got our tax statement last week. Zillow is not accurate for Texas or else it would have listed our final purchase price in 2014.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #118

Might check Redfin.com. IMHO it's better than Zillow b/c it lists recent sales prices in your neighborhood.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #119

Quote:
Just for giggles I went into Zillow and looked up recent home sales in my Texas county. Every sale I checked had the sales price. I checked the verbiage looking for words like "estimate" or an asterisk taking me to a subnote saying it was an estimate etc. It was the sales price. I even checked my house and it was accurate. It also listed the source of the info. In every instance, it was the realtor, and provided the realtor's name (and photo).
Interesting. That conflicts with everything I can find online regarding TX non-disclosure laws. Here is another quote from a real estate website, information provided by a TX Realtor:

Quote:
You’ve likely heard that Texas is a non-disclosure state when it comes to real estate prices. But what exactly does that mean? In short, prices for real estate sales do not become part of the public record. Sales prices are not listed in any publicly recorded documents nor is the sales prices shared with a governmental agency. Texas is one of about a dozen states that has some form of non-disclosure law. The warranty deed is the legal document transferring ownership of a property that is part of the public record. In Texas, the sales price is not on this document but instead wording something like “Ten Dollars and other good and valuable consideration” is used. If a mortgage is utilized in the purchase, the amount of the mortgage is publicly available in both the warranty deed and the deed of trust. To keep in the spirit of the Texas non-disclosure laws, most of the Multiple Listing Services in the state have rules that mirror the law by prohibiting real estate agents from disseminating sales data to the general public. The sales prices can be shared with clients for purposes of pricing homes, making offers on homes, and other specific reasons, but not publicized in a general manner.
https://www.realestateinaustin.com/t...closure-state/

TX law does allow real estate professionals to report sales prices to the local MLS service, which is the source of the sales price information mentioned in the last line of the above quote. But Zillow isn't associated with MLS and, according to law, should not be provided with actual sales prices without the consent of the seller. Of course it is possible permission to do so could be buried in the fine print of the agreement sellers sign with real estate agents when listing their house for sale. Who knows...

One more point: Note the word "most" in bold above. Perhaps the MLS service in your county is an exception and isn't following both the spirit and the letter of the non-disclosure law when they provide sales prices to Zillow?
Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Might check Redfin.com. IMHO it's better than Zillow b/c it lists recent sales prices in your neighborhood.

Zillow shows sales in your neighborhood, just select the yellow sold icon in the menu, it will show a yellow circle on the map for all homes sold (with price and sold date) within the period selected.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote