Join Early Retirement Today

Who owns both Wellesley and Wellington?
Old 10-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Right now, my traditional IRA only contains Wellesley, was thinking of adding Wellington.
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have both. Combined together you can achieve an equity/bond mix that is different than either one on their own.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Together they are roughly a 50/50 mix with a strong correlation in the stocks held and corporate bonds. You could do a lot worse than holding these two together. There is no magic, but it is easy if you leave them alone and let them run.

p.s. I have owned Wellesley in a 401K in the past.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

I TRY not to tell DW how to invest her own money (all Roths) but several years back, I DID get her to invest roughly equally in Wellesley and Wellington. All worked very well for several years. Typically, when one was a little down, the other made up for it. Since we are long-term investors (or at least I thought so) I never paid a lot of attention except to the year end statement which typically looked pretty good.

She read an article (heaven knows where or what it said.) Suddenly, she wanted to go to cash - and she missed some of the best growth ever available. A couple of years back, she sheepishly asked ME if she should at least go back to Wellesley. I tried to be cool and say "Yeah, that's probably a good idea." I can deal with the recent unpleasantness but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have both. I keep my immediate needs (1-2 years) in Wellington because it's not as volatile.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have both. Outputs are to my money market account for spending/checkwriting for large purchases..
Old 10-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXEX55 View Post
Right now, my traditional IRA only contains Wellesley, was thinking of adding Wellington.

Own both in Rollover IRA 50/50

Wellington for Roth

Taxable is VG Tax Managed Capital Apr, and VG Tax Managed Balanced
Old 10-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #8

We have both Wellesley and Wellington in our tIRAs and Roth IRAs. Those are the only MFs we have. The dividends from tIRAs are swept into a tIRA MM account that we draw from for RMD. We also have individual stocks in taxable accounts with Ameritrade and Cash in MM accounts and CDs.
I sleep well at night.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #9

Anybody own them in taxable?
FANOFJESUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFJESUS View Post
No, a good tax strategy for me. The majority of my portfolio is in IRAs and a majority of that is invested in Wellesley and Wellington.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Own both in Rollover IRA 50/50

Wellington for Roth

Taxable is VG Tax Managed Capital Apr, and VG Tax Managed Balanced
Quote:

Did own them early on in taxable as an income strategy in early retirement. They throw off decent (taxable) dividends, and capital gains. We didn't take out CGs but a couple of times in 9-10 years. It's easy to change from reinvest to bank at VG when needed. This worked for us as a good income stream while the taxable continued to grow, but moved taxable to VTMFX, and VTCLX (as shown in original attached post) in anticipation of RMDs now in a couple of years. They were moved gradually to avoid capital gains taxes.

We are flagship with VG, and 1/3rd of our holdings are taxable. We have no pensions, and rely on investments and SS for retirement income. Everyone's retirement (and tax) scenario is unique, so what worked for us might not be ideal for others...
Old 10-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

Yes. It's my primary taxable investment. Thought it was a good balanced investment (which is it) and wasn't worried about/considering the capital gains distributions at the time.

Since falling off the ACA cliff twice , I have periodically considered biting the Capital Gains bullet and switching to something that has a lower tax impact.
BeanCounter62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanCounter62 View Post
Yes. It's my primary taxable investment. Thought it was a good balanced investment (which is it) and wasn't worried about/considering the capital gains distributions at the time.

Since falling off the ACA cliff twice , I have periodically considered biting the Capital Gains bullet and switching to something that has a lower tax impact.

There was pretty good capital gains payout off Wellesley and Wellington 2-3 years back, that pushed us over the ACA cliff for DW's last year B4 Medicare. I looked back then, and it was substantially over average yearly payouts. We lost her subsidy for the three months prior to her turning 65 that year - it was a $2-3k loss. Thankfully it was just the three months. We had been slowly getting out of Wels and Wel, but that higher than normal CGs payout caught me.

I posted a reply on another thread here about self-managing, and this was what I posted about taxable -

Taxable account - Tax Managed Capital Apr. (VTCLX) and Tax Managed Balanced (VTMFX). Most all dividends are qualified (muni's are not taxed federally, but are added back for taxing SS), and they throw off zero capital gains (so far). This is long term leave behind money - hopefully..

Might want to take a look at them.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

I have had both in an IRA for over 10 years.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got them both, but I didn't want to tie up too much in them so I have diversified into a Vanguard stock fund to keep my allocation percentage on target.
Dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

I don't have too much tied up in these two funds either about about 16% of my portfolio.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't own either one.

I hear so much about these two Vanguard Balanced Funds that I think I should own some.

I do have a significant holding in Vanguard Balanced Index Admiral. It seems to be doing as well as any other balanced fund that I see.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but how differ from the two often mentioned funds Wellesley and Wellington ? and why is it so seldom mentioned as an option ?
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
I don't own either one.

I hear so much about these two Vanguard Balanced Funds that I think I should own some.

I do have a significant holding in Vanguard Balanced Index Admiral. It seems to be doing as well as any other balanced fund that I see.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but how differ from the two often mentioned funds Wellesley and Wellington ? and why is it so seldom mentioned as an option ?

It and the target date funds been mentioned here more in recent times I think
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't see the advantage of Wellington over Balanced Index. Wellington is far more concentrated, has a 10 year average annual return less than VBIAX and costs twice as more.

Wellesley income on the other hand is a good value oriented complement to my other more growth oriented holdings
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote