Who protects annuities if the insurer fails?

Maurice

Full time employment: Posting here.
AIG sure has sold a lot of those things.

I've heard that most states limit recovery of annuities to 100k of present value.

AIG sure has sold a lot of those things.

I've heard that most states limit recovery of annuities to 100k of present value.

That's pretty much it, THEY (the insurer) is on the hook to "guarantee" the funds.....

You'd think that even AIG would lay off some annuity reinsurance.
I'm sure Lehmans would sell them some.

This is the little spoken of risk with annuities. Ultimately, you are a creditor of the insurance company. In some cases you "own" high fee mutual funds in a VA but not always. If they do fail, all of your "guarantees" to not lose money and all the other promises go away. Even your smiling annuity salesman goes away.

I'm sure as of 6 months ago no one would have even considered AIG would need to "restructure."

I've run across an occasional person that has lost money in an annuity. One guy had a $10,000 per year payout that was restarted after about 2 years of legal hassles at about $1,000 per year.

I read an article a few months ago about insurance companies not having the assets to cover the annuities if the market went south. From what I remember there is fine print in the contracts saying that you would only get a certain minimum, and therefore the "guarantees" aren't really guaranteed. I'll see if I can find it again.

I read an article a few months ago about insurance companies not having the assets to cover the annuities if the market went south. From what I remember there is fine print in the contracts saying that you would only get a certain minimum, and therefore the "guarantees" aren't really guaranteed. I'll see if I can find it again.

Some insurers have LARGE promises to keep (AIG and John Hancock) while others have much less (ING). 40% of John Hancock's revenue comes from VAs with living benefit guarantees........:eek:

years ago i was bought a whole life policy as a gift and it promised all kinds of nice payouts in the marketing literature. i read the small print and it said that nothing is written in stone

There are a few states that guarantee higher. DC covers $300K, Washington State $500K. I'm sure it would be a PITA to go through the claim process.

Gosh..... in all the zillions of posts I've read here concerning annuities, I've never really considered questioning the so-called "guarantee." AIG's current situation and the comments in this thread regarding insurance limits, etc., are an eye opener.

I'd considered putting some of my RE portfolio in an annuity since DW is not comfortable with financial matters but never got around to it. It's looking even less likely now......

Where are all those annuity salesmen who once flocked to this board whenever the word "annuity" showed up in their Google alert? You'd think at least one or two of them would pay us a visit to reassure folks their "investment" was safe.

Where are all those annuity salesmen who once flocked to this board whenever the word "annuity" showed up in their Google alert? You'd think at least one or two of them would pay us a visit to reassure folks their "investment" was safe.

They will be along shortly.......O0

Careful what you wish for - they'll be here bragging that their products paid a straight 4.6% interest rate the whole time the market was losing 20% annualized, housing was depreciating, and recession roared on.

(Maybe they won't tell you about the 4% when the market was doing 10%.)

Based on pure naivete, I suspect that if AIG or another big annuity writer was on the brink of default, you'd see a huge rescue effort by the insurance titans. They can't afford to let that happen - it would kill their new annuity sales in a heartbeat.

Careful what you wish for - they'll be here bragging that their products paid a straight 4.6% interest rate the whole time the market was losing 20% annualized, housing was depreciating, and recession roared on.

:D:D

(Maybe they won't tell you about the 4% when the market was doing 10%.)

Why would they? :rolleyes:

Based on pure naivete, I suspect that if AIG or another big annuity writer was on the brink of default, you'd see a huge rescue effort by the insurance titans. They can't afford to let that happen - it would kill their new annuity sales in a heartbeat.

No,I think the other insurers are cold-blooded and would have no problem seeing AIG fail. Then Prudential, ING, Hancock, Pacific Life, and others can swoop in an pick their bones.......:eek:

Yes, where is Art G when you need him?

Oh wait, I put him on ignore. Never mind.

No,I think the other insurers are cold-blooded and would have no problem seeing AIG fail. Then Prudential, ING, Hancock, Pacific Life, and others can swoop in an pick their bones.......:eek:
Who knows.

To me, knowing that thousands of SPIA owners lost 25% of their entire net worth would give me a ton of hesitation about buying such a product from anyone.

If they rescue, people might feel reassured that even in the worst of times, no one lost a nickel in SPIAs.

I doubt they're in good enough shape to pick anyone's bones.

I do believe a highly publicized, highly visible failure would destroy the appeal of annuities for a few years.

I head someplace this morning the Mr Warren B. is in "important" talks with AIG - maybe he is looking for a better deal than BAC got of MER?

Opps: Just saw this at MSN Money: "NY Gov. Paterson says state will effectively lend AIG $20 billion and urges Fed to step up as well. More soon." Wonder what the interest rate is?

I head someplace this morning the Mr Warren B. is in "important" talks with AIG - maybe he is looking for a better deal than BAC got of MER?
Buffett won't do anything unless he can steal it. It would have to be full of clean assets that will eventually be easily liquidated for big profits. Berkshire's balance sheet is very strong so it could wait this out but Warren B loves cash right now.

Or they're discussing the impact of AIG's other business to the reinsurers owned by BRK. Warren could be on quite the hook, if they have substantial reinsurance contracts with AIG.

-- Rita

Or they're discussing the impact of AIG's other business to the reinsurers owned by BRK. Warren could be on quite the hook, if they have substantial reinsurance contracts with AIG.

-- Rita
It might be fun to watch the Oracle of Omaha sweat a little.

-- Rita

They just got a bit cheaper, if you can skip the liability:

"NY Gov. Paterson says state will effectively lend AIG $20 billion and urges Fed to step up as well. More soon."

Opps: Just saw this at MSN Money: "NY Gov. Paterson says state will effectively lend AIG $20 billion and urges Fed to step up as well. More soon." Wonder what the interest rate is?

every time some company is in trouble there is always a rumor that Buffet is coming to the rescue. i bet they are started just so the pro's have a supply of suckers willing to buy the stock on hope and dreams

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom