Join Early Retirement Today

Who should live in the "Coffeehouse"
Old 01-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Who should live in the "Coffeehouse"

I have been reading lately about the so-called coffeehouse portfolio. Old hat I know, but I am new to this game.

For those that don't know, the portfolio is structured as follows:

40% TOTAL BOND MARKET
10% LARGE CAP
10% LARGE VALUE
10% SMALL CAP
10% SMALL VALUE
10% REIT
10% INTERNATIONAL

Seems like a well-rounded diversified portfolio. Low cost, easy to set up and manage and can structure it in the most tax-efficient way possible.

My question is, is this type of portfolio appropriate at all stages of life. Is it meant for retirees, those saving for retirement or both? Is this a portfolio I could use for life. I am 30 and want to retire in 20 years.

I would describe myself as having moderate risk tolerance.
carlg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who should live in the "Coffeehouse"
Old 01-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IMHO -- It's one of many options for a balanced portfolio based on asset classes. It's ideal for indexing.

There are many options. Why don't you read Scott Burn's collection of columns on variations of the "Couch Potato Portfolio."

http://assetbuilder.com/?cat=18

I don't follow any of his exactly since I do not like bond mutual funds for fixed income. I am, however, almost entirely indexed. Vanguard is my bulk of my holdings.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

For those who don't have the link: http://coffeehouseinvestor.com/Default.htm

Schultheis claims that the coffeehouse portfolio is for everyone. Personally I think that 40% bonds is a bit high for someone in their 20's with a long time horizon, say 30 years before ER. I'm 58 so it looks good from where I sit. I'm not following it exactly, but sort of. I like Larry Swedroe's "The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy", and Bernstein's "Four Pillars of Investing", and the Vanguard Diehards' message board on Morningstar.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Charlie is a big coffee house investor IIRC. You might try PM'ing him...he'll probably get an email notifying him of the pm and might come back for a post or two on the topic.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
For those who don't have the link: http://coffeehouseinvestor.com/Default.htm

Schultheis claims that the coffeehouse portfolio is for everyone. Personally I think that 40% bonds is a bit high for someone in their 20's with a long time horizon, say 30 years before ER. I'm 58 so it looks good from where I sit. I'm not following it exactly, but sort of. I like Larry Swedroe's "The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy", and Bernstein's "Four Pillars of Investing", and the Vanguard Diehards' message board on Morningstar.
I agree I don't think anybody under 40 who is still working needs 40% in bonds. If I was just starting out in investing I'd go with Scott Burns Margarita portfolio 1/3 TIPS, 1/3 Total Stock Market 1/3 Total international Market.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
I agree I don't think anybody under 40 who is still working needs 40% in bonds. If I was just starting out in investing I'd go with Scott Burns Margarita portfolio 1/3 TIPS, 1/3 Total Stock Market 1/3 Total international Market.
uhhh... that 1/3 in TIPS is close to "40 % in bonds." I like the Margarita portfolio as well btw.

I think you have to go with whatever portfolio will allow you to not make any rash decisions. If that's 100% stock , that's fine, but I know that I need some bonds to help me sleep at night. I'm 31 and have b/w 35-40% bonds.

Here's a nice short article written by Peter Bernstein on 60/40:

The 60/40 Solutions
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone was nice enough to collect many of the various index-ey asset allocations available including the Bernstein collections, Coffeehouse, using DFA funds, etc here:

http://www.geocities.com/finplan825/...lios-Data.html

But sounds like Coffeehouse is as good as any other if you're comfortable with it.

Hope this helps (and isn't just overload)...
Olav

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Engineer vs Hacker www.evsh.net

Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

I humbly suggest one sit down and study the recommended ages/asset mixtures in the Vanguard Target Retirement Series and decide if you fit the intended audience or are a - 'dirty market Timer' ala psst Wellesley, Balanced Index, etc.

heh heh heh

Postscript - 1966 to 1992 with the great benefit of hindsight ages 21 to 49 I held asset classes in the handgrenade range of Ben Graham's 50/50 to a pension like 60/40 at various times. I never calculated the difference but I suspect a heavy aka as close to 100% stock would have served me better in spite of the 'infamous' 1966 to 1982 flat stock market period.

Ah to be young again - with what I know now(or at least think I know).

Go Saints.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote