Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2021, 05:19 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you have the proverbial 'enough' in ER, then winning the lottery becomes that evil one managed to avoid in ER.

WORK!

Heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
So seriously, how many of you would upend your lives? Move to a mansion, drive a rolls Royce and change your style of living?
I'd make changes, but not necessarily upend my life. I'd sign up for NetJets so I don't ever have to fly commercial again. I would get a different house, on a bit more land (with nice views), but mostly I'd have a large heated swimming pool. But other than that I don't think I'd change too much. I've already got beautiful views, but zoning won't allow the pool.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
There are a number of folks here, who have stocks/bank accounts worth a few million.
Far more than any regular bank robber could dream of getting in a heist.
Yet we rarely hear of old folks being robbed of all their savings at gunpoint.

Well, the next-door millionaires usually do not keep wads of cash under their mattress, and particularly do not advertise that they have loads of money. And they try to be anonymous on public forums.

And there was Andrew “Jack” Whittaker, who in 2002 won the biggest jackpot ever up to that time of $315 million. It did not end well for him. The strange thing is that he owned a construction business already worth $17 million when he won the money.

His life afterwards was misery.

Excerpt follows from https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...es-72-71536558.

Quote:
... he quickly fell victim to scandals, lawsuits and personal setbacks as he endured constant requests for money, leaving him unable to trust others. Several times, he was quoted as saying he wished he had torn up the ticket.

His wife left him. A friend of his drug-addicted granddaughter was found dead at his home in 2004. Three months later, his 17-year-old granddaughter was gone, too.

His daughter, Ginger Whittaker Bragg, died in 2009 at age 42 after struggling for years with cancer.

And in 2016, he lost a Virginia home to a fire.

He struggled with drinking and gambling. His home and car were repeatedly burglarized. At a strip club, thieves broke into his Lincoln Navigator and stole a briefcase stuffed with $245,000 and three $100,000 cashiers’ checks.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:51 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, the next-door millionaires usually do not keep wads of cash under their mattress, and particularly do not advertise that they have loads of money. And they try to be anonymous on public forums.

And there was Andrew “Jack” Whittaker, who in 2002 won the biggest jackpot ever up to that time of $315 million. It did not end well for him. The strange thing is that he owned a construction business already worth $17 million when he won the money.

I watched a program a few years back that detailed the "fate" of several big winners. I don't recall but one good outcome - apparently a couple was able to hide their identity in some fashion. I do not recall how.

Most had similar outcomes to Whittaker. While most managed to have some money left over, there were some who went bankrupt. It almost seemed that winning made these folks loose their common sense.

I think the sad part is that gummint agencies who set these lotteries up take no responsibility for protecting the winners. I recall one lotto winner complaining that the USPS routinely stuffed bags of mail into his mailbox (after he had moved to get away from the "fan mail.") Addresses were something like "Big Lotto Winner in Podunk AL."

I understand part of the marketing of these lotteries is to show the happy winner(s) with their big check with the big (false) numbers on them. In reality, 700 million is already drastically reduced by taking it as a single payout AND roughly 50%+/- taxes (IIRC). It's still a bunch of money (if you start with $700 mil) but it AIN'T 700 mil. I think lotto winners should be offered (maybe forced) to undergo counseling regarding their winnings. They should also be offered some level of protection against harassment.

I think the worst thing about lottos is the way they were originally promoted as all "sweetness and light." Yeah, we're gonna fund the SCHOOLS with all the money we take in. They never pointed out that schools were already funded and now the gummints would be able to use the "old" funding for something else. All smoke and mirrors and the most regressive tax one could image.

Okay, end of rant. Now returning you to the question of "who wants to be a billionaire (almost.)"

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wouldn't want to be a billionaire...everybody knows you are one, can't do anything spontaneous (have to send your security team in advance wherever you go)

e.g. Richard Branson...he had to buy an entire island just to have somewhere secure enough to kick back and relax w/o fear of being kidnapped
...or worse.

Would only buy lottery tickets if I could remain anonymous...but there are few states here in the USA that allow that.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

^ yes more worriers and problems involved with being filthy rich.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Wouldn't want to be a billionaire...everybody knows you are one, can't do anything spontaneous (have to send your security team in advance wherever you go)

e.g. Richard Branson...he had to buy an entire island just to have somewhere secure enough to kick back and relax w/o fear of being kidnapped
...or worse.

Would only buy lottery tickets if I could remain anonymous...but there are few states here in the USA that allow that.
I think when you are poor you think money solves problems when you are rich you think it makes problems. There is some truth to both views. I lived by a guy in the 80's that won 100k in the lotto. He had to turn off the phone. I don't think he answered the door either. Makes you kind of scared to think what happens to billionaires. I think you end being bugged to death and run away.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

...or worse.

If I moved out of my hometown why would anyone at my new hometown know I was a billionaire if I didn't tell them? I wouldn't advertise it. I think people think it would be more of a problem than it really would be. I'd volunteer to find out.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If I moved out of my hometown why would anyone at my new hometown know I was a billionaire if I didn't tell them? I wouldn't advertise it. I think people think it would be more of a problem than it really would be. I'd volunteer to find out.
I am guessing that some people would follow these people around. I think people would hunt you down over time to bug you. That's why I think a person would always be moving.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to be stinkin' rich and anonymous, with none of the accoutrements of wealth; I don't need them and I don't want them, but I'd love to go where I want when I want at a moment's notice.

Inwardly smirking all the while at the arrivistes who incorrectly believe they are impressing all those around them.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFJESUS View Post
I am guessing that some people would follow these people around. I think people would hunt you down over time to bug you. That's why I think a person would always be moving.

Some people will always remember and recognize the lucky you.

You could go to a nice 1st world country, like Malta, which accepts anybody who has a few million. The nice thing about a Malta citizenship is you then can go anywhere in the EU, or back to the US to visit.

Yep, that's what I would do, although I have to play the lottery first.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

I would think that if you put most of the money in a charitable trust and announced that you had done so, it would significantly cut down on the harassment. Especially if you have it managed by a well paid third party (like my daughter who has a different last name). Since the likelihood of this happening is close to zero I haven't put much thought into it. But I would think there would be ways to cut out most of the negative side effects.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All it would take would be one hungry "journalist" to track you down and blow your cover so s/he would have a front page story in the local gazette. Your need to move (again) for anonymity would get the "cub reporter" a nice $20/week raise. At least you would be "passing it on." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Frankly, Whittaker does sound pretty stupid and the story lists a bunch of things that would have happened if he had stayed only $17 Million rich:

What fool walks around with a briefcase stuffed with $245,000 and three $100,000 cashiers’ checks

It would be good if big winners got advice of how to behave after being suddenly rich with cash.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It would be good if big winners got advice of how to behave after being suddenly rich with cash.
The best advice they could be given (don't be stupid) is the same advice most people are given in many sets of circumstances. Most of them don't follow it either.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And most importantly, they earned their money gradually and had time to adapt to a slowly increasing net worth. Most of them likely lived quiet LBYM lifestyles and had years of good habits formed.

Those people have a far better chance of doing well after a lottery win than someone who blew every pay cheque and had to have the latest toy. A lottery win for them is just another excuse to spend....and now they can spend BIG!!
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

I guess I did think of a major lifestyle change that I would make if I won all that money. It only costs $55M to go to the ISS. I can't swing it without the lottery, but if I won the big bucks it would definitely be on the table.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I guess I did think of a major lifestyle change that I would make if I won all that money. It only costs $55M to go to the ISS. I can't swing it without the lottery, but if I won the big bucks it would definitely be on the table.
Maybe I'd go to the ISS with my NEXT $55M. Before that, I'd do some stuff closer to home - maybe Fiji, Japan, RP, etc. Wait! I can do that already - I just have to Blow That Dough so never mind.

Hey, if I win $700 mil, I'll pay YOUR way to ISS. (Can someone loan me $2?)