Join Early Retirement Today

Whole life with LTC rider, yikes!
Old 04-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Whole life with LTC rider, yikes!

Hello everyone,

After reading the threads about LTC on this board, I spoke to a few insurance agents about LTC and whole life insurance w/ LTC rider option. I knew they would be expensive, but wow!

I’m 48 and DH is 52, non smokers, and average health, and I was looking at 500k policy which would cover up to 5 years of LTC. The cheapest quote I received was $1200 per month for the two of us. Obviously this may change based on medical exams, we may get declined for all we know. But wow, how do people afford LTC insurance??
Popsicletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not a fan of whole life at all and at your ages it is way too young to consider LTC IMHO.
Put 1200/month in an index fund for the next 20-30 years and you'll have a big pile to self insure with.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicletoes View Post
Hello everyone,

After reading the threads about LTC on this board, I spoke to a few insurance agents about LTC and whole life insurance w/ LTC rider option. I knew they would be expensive, but wow!

I’m 48 and DH is 52, non smokers, and average health, and I was looking at 500k policy which would cover up to 5 years of LTC. The cheapest quote I received was $1200 per month for the two of us. Obviously this may change based on medical exams, we may get declined for all we know. But wow, how do people afford LTC insurance??
Have you priced whole life insurance equal to desired benefit? First to die policy?

I would rather own life is insurance (known cost, sure to pay off) than LTC (unknown cost, good chance you will never need).

But to respond to your question, I self-insure.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you think LTC is expensive now, wait until you see how much the premiums increase each year after you sign up. And after you dump a whole pile of money into it, you may never collect. The qualifications for being eligible are murky and subjective. There are many threads here about a person being denied coverage because they don't meet the requirements, even though they really can't take care of themselves.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote