Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yes. The box in the back is full of W231.
Come to think of it I have Clays, VV310, WST, and a jug of some kind of Hodgden rifle powder.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Come to think of it I have Clays, VV310, WST, and a jug of some kind of Hodgden rifle powder.
+1
Somewhere around here there's a big jug of Bullseye. Dirty, accurate, and cheap.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

If my 2018 spending is as usual, I've got 40k left over to invest if the markets crater. Otherwise, I'm happy with the somewhat defensive moves made in Oct. Seventy six percent of my IRA equities are now in 2 funds. Combined balances are up 3% YTD. It's WAY too early to know if that was a good move. I'll monitor as the quarterly statements arrive.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have more cash on hand than we've ever had but it's still a relatively small percentage of total portfolio. We've been rebalancing from time to time over the last few years but we find ourselves feeling a bit lopsided recently. We do plan to trim a few more things when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Overheard on the Mad Money show a few days ago : 'the machines were triggered to selloff overseas'. I was miffed to see how Europe/Asia mirrored the USA's pattern, but I guess that shows the true influence the USA has on the rest of the world. Or at least the influence 'the machines' have over the rest of the world. Dow Theory Forecasts newsletter
recently said '$234 billion flowed into international mutual funds and ETFs last year, while domestic stock funds saw outflows of roughly $39 billion, according to Investment Company Institute'.[whoever that is]
Mike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:55 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sufficient dry powder but I don't see this as a sale any more than it was a few months ago when the prices were the same. This is just a blip. I'll wait for the "Blue Light Specials" before I consider more purchases. Of course age and health is a big part of decision making. Sometimes buying more stock can just be seeing how much a person can accumulate before buying the farm. Bulls, Bears, and Pigs.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Whos got dry powder?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Whos got dry powder?

Bonuses get paid here next Thursday. All mine is planned for S&P500 index fund. Drop , baby, drop.
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:00 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike93 View Post

Investment Company Institute'.[whoever that is]
ICI - They track everything.

https://www.ici.org/
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Sufficient dry powder but I don't see this as a sale any more than it was a few months ago when the prices were the same. This is just a blip. I'll wait for the "Blue Light Specials" before I consider more purchases. Of course age and health is a big part of decision making. Sometimes buying more stock can just be seeing how much a person can accumulate before buying the farm. Bulls, Bears, and Pigs.

Cheers!
exactly where I'm at with this. When we hit these numbers on the way up I didn't think they were bargains.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #50

Good to see there are others with dry powder. How about the rest of the components?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I put $2K into a 2018 IRA today - VWENX. Who knows if it's the right time? It's 2018, and I have the earned income.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #52

sitting on about 4% cash right now. Might start nibbling in some equities if there are a few more down days like the last couple. Don't need it for living expenses as pension and deferred comp covers that.

Then again...nothing wrong with a wad of cash!!!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
... How about the rest of the components?
Good supply of brass, bullets and primers for .45ACP, .38WC, and .223. Also a bunch of (loaded) .22SV and .22 Target Shorts. Haven't been shooting much lately.

On Topic: I'm waiting for the blue light specials too. Another couple of thousand points on the Dow, I think.

Re hitting the numbers on the way up my sense, having been through these since pre-'87, is that the safest time to buy is after a big correction. No hope to exactly call the bottom of course, but the rebound seems to always go through the old top safely and go on to grow again. Over 3-5 years of course.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Good to see there are others with dry powder. How about the rest of the components?
Many shooters here. Wonder if any has a big bore, like 50 caliber? That will let you use up your powder faster.