Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fidelity.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have worked for TD Ameritrade, Schwab, Fidelity and Merrill.

Personally I use Schwab and absolutely love the website. Would never use Merrill. If you're thinking of going to Schwab, the way I would do it would be by going back to TD, getting a cash incentive and then your accounts will migrate to Schwab.

https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/2500/index.html
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #23

Happy Vanguard client here. When I worked at my financial services job, Vanguard and Fidelity were our main competition and I was happy to move my 401(k) to an IRA at Vanguard.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #24

FIDO
Old 03-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #25

Fido,Morgan Stanley, T.Rowe
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have 57% with Fidelity, the rest is split between ETrade & Vanguard. I also have a smaller amount with TD Ameritrade so I guess I'll be a Schwab customer.

I think ETrade has the best interface for making trades and getting performance information. Vanguard has the worst web/app interface. TD Ameritrade's interface is slick/complicated, even for a small software developer like me.

If I had to consolidate my accounts, I would keep ETrade & Fidelity.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve always used Fidelity and have been happy with their service and planning/research tools.
ATXFIRE2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
TDAmeritade is no longer; bought by Schwab and getting integrated as we speak. I would not consider them simply because you don't know which people and which offices will survive. They will certainly be rebranded regardless.
This is a somewhat false statement. Yes, they have been bought by Schwab and are being merged. As of now, they are still separate.

I am a TD Ameritrade, Schwab, and Fidelity customer. Ameritrade's Think or Swim (TOS) platform is significantly better than Schwab's Street Smart Edge (at least in my opinion) and Schwab has announced that TOS will live on post-merger.

It will be interesting to see how they handle merging of customer data and the non-TOS (i.e. web/simplified mobile) platforms.

I've been a customer of all of three of these for a long long time, and each has their advantages. From a trading perspective, TOS/Ameirtrade shines. From an overall asset management perspective, Schwab or Fido. A Fidelity advantage would be if I decided to consolidate (in terms of brokerage) my individual holdings with my ex-mega corp-holdings). I can't really comment on Fidelities active trader product as I don't use it, the vast majority of my Fidelity account is 401K/403B holdings, and my individually managed account only has a few long term holdings. I have heard from some "active" traders that it (Active Trader Pro) is quite good.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
I have 57% with Fidelity, the rest is split between ETrade & Vanguard. I also have a smaller amount with TD Ameritrade so I guess I'll be a Schwab customer.

I think ETrade has the best interface for making trades and getting performance information. Vanguard has the worst web/app interface. TD Ameritrade's interface is slick/complicated, even for a small software developer like me.

If I had to consolidate my accounts, I would keep ETrade & Fidelity.
I agree with Etrade and Fidelity (I have no experience with TD Ameritrade or Schwab).

I'm only with Etrade because the place I started with eons ago was bought out, and that repeated about 4 times, and it's been Etrade since (made me look!) 2006.

Fidelity has the advantage of brick and mortar presence, and you never know when you may need it. And even though I rarely trade, the Etrade site just seems so much easier to find what I'm looking for than Fidelity (or Vanguard).

I was also able to get a low rate LOC from Etrade (Fidelity had only high rate margin loans), which I'm using for a new (to us) home purchase.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard, we have been very happy with them.

We just retired effective 1-Feb-21.

To simplify things, we consolidated all monies from megaoil corp to Vanguard upon retirement.
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Etrade, which I opened as Morgan Stanley Discover Brokerage in 1998, which was sold to BMO/HarrisBank, which was sold to Etrade. And Vanguard, which has most of my business. Also, DW has an HSA at Fido.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:30 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

TDAmeritrade, which is alive and well though owned by Schwab now, and E-Trade, which is also alive and well after being purchased by Morgan Stanley. A bit at Fidelity.

Did not change. I'm happy with what I have-the largest portion is at E-Trade. I also have a lot of experience with the Schwab platform as I was trustee of our company's 401(k) which was on the Schwab platform. I think Schwab is okay but I think the interface is clunky compared with E-Trade or TD Ameritrade.

Kiplinger and Barron's each do annual reviews on the brokers. I believe NerdWallet does one roo. Those are excellent places to go to learn the pluses and minuses of each platform. Vanguard does not participare in these.

Brokers have improved so much tbat for folks that at not active traders I think it comes down to which interface you like best. More on that can be gleaned from the reviews.

Also TD Ameritrade, E-Trade and Ally pay significant money to people opening new accounts there, depending on how much money is transferred. That can be something to consider as well.

You might want to look in particular at customer service. There were reports of very long waits for customer service late last year with Fidelity and Schwab, at least. I can verify that there were very significant hold times at Fidelity, 45 minutes to an hour. So that is something to look at.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:13 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard for us. We like it's unique ownership structure..
Old 03-04-2021, 06:17 AM   #34

Schwab since 1993. Very easy platform to use. I moved my employer sponsored HSAs (two companies) to Fido last year.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:00 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard and Morgan Stanley (for when I want to discuss something that I need more familiarity with)

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:20 AM   #36

Mostly Fidelity - some Schwab for us.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard for IRAs and Ameritrade for taxable. If I was starting over I would probably just put everything in Vanguard.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

TRowe for nearly 30 yrs. Personally, I like them as they NEVER bother me. If I want something I ask and they respond very quickly.
SomedaySoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Fidelity, TDAmeritrade, and Schwab. I opened the Schwab account specifically after Schwab announced their acquisition of TDA to get a promotion on new accounts by transferring money from TDA to Schwab without poliferating accounts. I'll consolidate when merger is done. They did even better than the promotion of $500 for $100k move, and also matched a generous promo Chase was offering at the time for another move of TDA money. That required a call to the 'back office' so YMMV. As a retired person it's great to have a way to get more money into roth and ira accounts.

I've liked all 3 brokerages about equally, but found recently when gifting stock that it was super easy to gift from my TDA account to giftee's TDA account. First time I've done it, so maybe super easy is normal.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:56 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Folio Investing just rolled us over to to IBKR. I recently opened an account at Fidelity because I've heard you all talk about them and also I like the ability to trade fractional shares. I am planning on rolling my IBKR funds over to Fido.

This is just my individual equities, non retirement.

I use Vanguard for the retirement accounts and another taxable account.

Question for you Fido people. How is their customer service? Seems here lately I've had a couple of questions regarding setting up the account that is taking over 10 days to get an answer via private message on their site.
Camas Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote