Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
We are living on cash until hubby turns 70 and collecting SS. We are 67 and 65).

I am also waiting until age 70. Working with a FA and he advises such. Wants us to do Roth conversions even more so than Traditional IRA withdrawals It will help with alleviating some of the tax burden that will come once we have to take RMD's at age 72.

Yeah- it bothers me a bit to do this. Using cash and paying taxes on Roth conversions with more of our cash instead of taking our SS. My thing is if we die before then, our son gets less inheritance. Otherwise, I wouldn't care about it.
Have you run opensocialsecurity.com to check as to when you should withdraw SS? Many FAs are not as smart as they market themselves to be. They don't think about individual situations.

I told my FA that I will be taking my SS at 62 and my husband at 70 and he said asked me to wait until 70. Heck no, we have a significant age difference and in order to collect more/breakeven. My breakeven is when I turn 80 and when my husband is 94. I don't think so!
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #142
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Discount grocery stores?
Aldi is one example. We save a ton of money on produce by going there first and then filling in at Costo. Usually milk is cheaper at Aldi too.
klscaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
This is not true under current law. The SSA can only spend SS funds, not general funds. The trust funds are prior excess SS/Medicare taxes collected and "invested" in special treasury securities - they actually earn interest which is credited to the fund. The trust fund is just as real as the 10-year Treasuries in your portfolio. When the trust fund runs out, SSA can only pay out what it collects in current SS taxes - about 75% of obligations.

Again, this is all under current law. That doesn't mean Congress can't change the law and they will clearly need to do something, sometime.
I think most of us assume Congress will make (us) old voters happy by somehow coming up with the difference. I recall a mere mention of a "tweak" to SS back in the 80's - I don't even recall the details. DW's parent instantly changed political allegiance and never changed back even though nothing ever came of the proposed tweak. The "third rail" analogy still applies for many people though YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I recall a mere mention of a "tweak" to SS back in the 80's - I don't even recall the details.
Details are here - Here is How We Fixed Social Security the Last Time it Was Broken - https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...ime-it-wa.aspx

To fix it this time, these are some of the proposals being considered: "The CBO evaluated 36 potential changes to Social Security and what their effects on the funding gap would be. All of these changes fell within five specific categories:
  • Increase revenue to Social Security
  • Change the benefit calculation formula
  • Increase the full retirement age
  • Change the way cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) are calculated
  • Adjust benefits for specific groups of people, such as wealthy retirees"
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...right-now.aspx
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Details are here - Here is How We Fixed Social Security the Last Time it Was Broken - https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...ime-it-wa.aspx

To fix it this time, these are some of the proposals being considered: "The CBO evaluated 36 potential changes to Social Security and what their effects on the funding gap would be. All of these changes fell within five specific categories:
  • Increase revenue to Social Security
  • Change the benefit calculation formula
  • Increase the full retirement age
  • Change the way cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) are calculated
  • Adjust benefits for specific groups of people, such as wealthy retirees"
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...right-now.aspx
Yeah, I lived through all this. That wasn't the "tweak" that DW's parents objected to. It was likely a "leak" or "trial ballon" in advance of the "permanent fix" to SS.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote