Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I am confused you have posted in the muni thread about individual bonds you bought.
I think that is a different Graybeard. I believe you may be thinkinig of Mr._Graybeard.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 02:35 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamo View Post
I would say, preventing further losses. What did you move to from TBM/BND?
We didn't have a lot, and still have some other bond funds besides the BND we got out of.

We did put $95K into I-bonds this year, and are looking at buying treasuries but have to learn how
Old 06-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Always hard to predict movement, but with known Fed increases, bond funds had to decrease in the short run.
With this movement up in yields, MYGA's/CD's and Stable Value for me for the "bond" allocation.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
People would not think what I did is bad if I called it re-balancing, selling my less loosing BND (-10.7%) fund to buy shares that have fallen 20%.
Heh, heh, I'll believe it if you will.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:53 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Have held bond funds for the entire lifespan of my portfolio which would be roughly 30 years. The longest duration one would be VGIT but am confounded by the performance of TIPS and floating rate which make up a sizable portion of my FI. I'm about 49% equity. Down close to 13% YTD as of today. Occasional advisor doesn't seem to think i should be making any changes. I assume those with 60+% equity AA and a basically B&H approach are doing worse than 10% on average this year. FWIW my AA is supposed to be moderate-conservative so i don't know if my loss percentage is higher than most others with a similar risk profile.
mikes425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:44 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am confused you have posted in the muni thread about individual bonds you bought.
I have posted in several threads about bonds. If the thread was about munis what I was referring to was the Intermediate Term Tax Exempt Bond Fund in my taxable account. In my Rollover IRA I had (sold it all) corporate bond funds - Short Term Investment Grade and Ultra Short Term Bond Fund. All 3 funds were/are Admiral shares. I did buy some T bills in both my taxable and Rollover IRA, 13 and 26 week bills. These were the 1st bonds I ever bought and it was recent. I hope that clears up the confusion.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
I have posted in several threads about bonds. If the thread was about munis what I was referring to was the Intermediate Term Tax Exempt Bond Fund in my taxable account. In my Rollover IRA I had (sold it all) corporate bond funds - Short Term Investment Grade and Ultra Short Term Bond Fund. All 3 funds were/are Admiral shares. I did buy some T bills in both my taxable and Rollover IRA, 13 and 26 week bills. These were the 1st bonds I ever bought and it was recent. I hope that clears up the confusion.
I think I had you and Mr_Graybeard confused. My bad.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:37 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes425 View Post
Have held bond funds for the entire lifespan of my portfolio which would be roughly 30 years. The longest duration one would be VGIT but am confounded by the performance of TIPS and floating rate which make up a sizable portion of my FI.
If you have a TIPS fund that is going to go down in price as TIPS real returns rise. TIPS real returns went from negative on the 5 years to .64 as of today, in a pretty short period of time.

Floating rate bonds tend to be from higher credit risk companies, so investors may be selling them on recession fears.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:53 PM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Do you actually have some quotes of Bogleheads, or anyone, saying that? It's easily disputed since BND (I assume that's what you're talking about?) had a negative total return last year, a minuscule loss in 2018 and a loss in 2013. And you say people are always claiming that?
I should have been more careful in how I said this. Let me expand a little. Look at the first post at this link. I have great respect for the Bogleheads but I think they tend not to mention the real risks of rising rates.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254674

And this statement:

"The Aggregate Bond Index had only three negative years (all small) reflecting very low risk."

TBM year to date is -12.68%. We all know that the rates increases are just starting given the public statement from the Fed. I'm sorry but this does not reflect low risk.

And they are not the only ones. Vanguard has soothing papers on rising rates which I think are very misleading.

https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...d-rising-rates

This kind of performance has real issues for those needing to do RMDs and even rebalancing as others have pointed out on the thread.

I have not seen a thread on the Bogleheads saying given the situation let's discuss alternatives.
Bergamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:24 AM   #50

I had an early lesson in bond fund avoidance in 1987. Natively, I believed the "stocks zig, bonds zag" line. That was after my BIL warned me away from bond funds and urged short individual issues! But the impact was smaller back then as it was not as many years of saving. Unfortunately, the tax law based accounts I'm stuck with don't have the ability to buy individual bonds. One has a stable value fund, and everything in that account is in the SVF, but that leaves more to be allocated to bonds. So even though I'd rather not own any bonds through a fund because bond funds are forced to sell at fire sale prices when the "wisdom of the investors" takes flight to cash, I'm still invested in a bond fund.

A question about the statistic about flight into money market funds. Does that track through to the final destination? I can imagine selling the long bond fund and buying a very short one. It seems like market timing (of the bond flavor) would be to twist the knob to short in situations when there's going to be rate increases and twist the other way, towards long, when the rates aren't going any higher.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I had an early lesson in bond fund avoidance in 1987. Natively, I believed the "stocks zig, bonds zag" line. That was after my BIL warned me away from bond funds and urged short individual issues! But the impact was smaller back then as it was not as many years of saving. Unfortunately, the tax law based accounts I'm stuck with don't have the ability to buy individual bonds. One has a stable value fund, and everything in that account is in the SVF, but that leaves more to be allocated to bonds. So even though I'd rather not own any bonds through a fund because bond funds are forced to sell at fire sale prices when the "wisdom of the investors" takes flight to cash, I'm still invested in a bond fund.

A question about the statistic about flight into money market funds. Does that track through to the final destination? I can imagine selling the long bond fund and buying a very short one. It seems like market timing (of the bond flavor) would be to twist the knob to short in situations when there's going to be rate increases and twist the other way, towards long, when the rates aren't going any higher.
This makes sense to me. And I don't see it as "traditional" market timing. Of course, I'm the world's worst investor, so what do I know?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

We have three 401Ks with different rules with what we can buy. One had only funds and no stable value, but we could put money into a money market fund. I put our stocks allocation in that one and switched to a dividend paying stock fund. It has still gone down, but less than the S&P the last time I checked. The rest I just left in the money market. We will take our withdrawal for the year from that account to help drain it and then probably convert the rest of the money market funds to an IRA.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #53

Quote:
I think I had you and Mr_Graybeard confused. My bad.
No problem. I have been thinking about a screen name change, my name and the other are way too similar.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:14 AM   #54

Thinking about doubling up on my taxfree CA Muni ETF. Price is down, it's in my brokerage acct (why I sort out taxfree), no idea where else to park cash. Market sucks so I'll put 2K into stocks from current income.

WHY NOT??
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:47 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

With a 3% divvy that CA tax free muni ETF looks pretty good to me.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In 1981, 10-year Treasury stayed above 14% for several months, to give people plenty of time to buy, buy, buy... It even got as high as 15.7%. The 30-year Treasury was only 0.5% lower.

Imagine locking in that high rate for 10-30 years. Who needs stocks?

I was young and did not have much money nor financial experience to take advantage of that.

PS. In 1979, just 2 years earlier, 30-year bond was less than 8%. I imagine a lot of bond holders sold at a loss in 1981 to trade up to 14-15% interest for 30 years.
Had friends in brokerage business in the late 1970’s - early 1980’s. They did a ton of business doing “bond swaps”, recognizing tax deductible losses, buying other bonds to replace, which usually had higher coupons.

In hindsight, 15% for 30 years was pretty good, but few people did it. Although you could have locked in 15% for 30 years, you also could get about 15% in money funds or short term bonds. Maybe it was “recently bias” that prevented people from going long, thinking they’d always be able to get high rates without taking the interest rate risk longer bonds carry.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:23 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I was a large believer in the hold bond fund so I didn't sell at the beginning of the year.
However even though I was locking in my loss I sold the 3rd week in April...
Glad I did as the BND has fallen ~4% since then.
Literally ~$3 per share.

I'm not buying back into BND right now as I think it will go down further as I think interest rates will rise more. I've seen them at 15% or more before, so right now rates are very low.

People would not think what I did is bad if I called it re-balancing, selling my less loosing BND (-10.7%) fund to buy shares that have fallen 20%.

I have to wonder, if people sell the bond fund now are they locking in losses or preventing further losses...
I was on the phone with a Vanguard rep today. I was surprised when he told me that he had a lot of clients selling equity funds right now and buying bond funds. That really sounds like locking in losses.

But, I guess I am on the other extreme and too hesitant to lock in losses. When bond funds starting going down, I didn't want to lock in the loss. Now they are down much more, and I don't want to lock in the bigger loss. I think I'm going to do like you and transfer some of the money in my retirement account bond funds to equity funds that have lost even more. And, yeah, it's rebalancing.

I feel foolish for having accepted the conventional wisdom about bond funds and not doing more research into bonds and other fixed income alternatives. I really need to educate myself. Can anybody recommend a good book? I am admittedly woefully ignorant. I see terms like MYGAs, TIPS, I Bonds, etc. and don't really know much at all about them. I just know money markets, savings accounts and CDs.
NomDeER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:13 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomDeER View Post
But, I guess I am on the other extreme and too hesitant to lock in losses. When bond funds starting going down, I didn't want to lock in the loss. Now they are down much more, and I don't want to lock in the bigger loss.

I don't really understand how you can lock in a loss by selling a bond fund. Bonds are not stocks and behave differently. Freedom56 has a good post here on the subject - https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2788533
Old 06-20-2022, 08:15 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I was talking about folks who just now are selling their depressed bond funds. That locks in the loss I believe. Holding the fund until it comes back (hopefully) is sort of a non-event if you come out the other side.

I'm just thinking that if there is ever a reason to hold bonds, that reason doesn't go away just because bonds are depressed in price - just like folks always want to be in equities, even when markets are falling. In theory, the balancing of a portfolio should still go on, even as both bonds and equities are falling in value - or did I miss something.

Now, switching bond funds for Treasuries is probably a good idea - if you know that bond funds are going to drop in value. I think you could make a case that we "knew" bond funds would fall beginning of the year, so going to Treasuries may well have been wise. Of course, we'll not even know that for a year or two (if we're lucky). Let us hope this mess is over in a year or two - but I wouldn't count on it.
I am struggling with this now. I did not sell my bond funds in January. The the total bond fund at Vanguard is down about 11 1/2%. The US Bond fund at Fidelity is I think down about 12%.

Note with equity funds I have no problem with that kind of thing. I haven't sold any of my stock funds -- down about 23 to 24% for the year. I haven't even sold Wellesley down about 11 1/2%. During that unpleasantness some years ago I didn't sell my equity funds when they were down 40+%. The point is that I don't panic because something is down and I don't try to do market timing.

But in this case I feel like I made a mistake in having all my fixed income in bond funds (well except for the part in Wellesley). And, if I recognize now that this was a mistake shouldn't I rectify it? Looking at it, yes, I don't like locking in the loss I've had so far which is about $11k. But, if I feel now that the bond funds were not a good idea should I continue to perpetuate something that wasn't a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomDeER View Post
But, I guess I am on the other extreme and too hesitant to lock in losses. When bond funds starting going down, I didn't want to lock in the loss. Now they are down much more, and I don't want to lock in the bigger loss. I think I'm going to do like you and transfer some of the money in my retirement account bond funds to equity funds that have lost even more. And, yeah, it's rebalancing.

I feel foolish for having accepted the conventional wisdom about bond funds and not doing more research into bonds and other fixed income alternatives. I really need to educate myself.
I feel foolish also. In my case I can't rebalance into equities as I was a bit over allocated in equities this year. I am not about to my target allocation. If I sell all my bond funds I am thinking that perhaps the Treasury bills for the moment would be OK while I try to learn more about all this.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:13 PM   #60

Katsmeow, I hear you. With the Fed continuing to raise the FOMC rate at least 2, 3, who knows how many times, the losses will just deepen. You can cut your losses now and stop the bleeding or ride it down but it may well take several years or longer to break even again depending upon if rates stop or continue to rise. The duration of the Total Bond Market Fund is 6.7 years so a 1% rate increase will lose another 6.7% of your nav, 2% is 13.4%!

If it's in an IRA or Roth there's no tax consequences to exchanging out of the bond fund. I had a short and an ultra short term bond fund cuz I was concerned about duration and still lost a lot so I dumped them both, accepted the loss and will put the money into T bills. Maybe CDs one day. I'm done with bond funds unless we find ourselves in a decreasing rate environment, then your nav increases.