Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why are people still holding cash?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never put much stock in the 6-month rule. It strikes me as a very personal decision, that is hugely affected by your situation and risk tolerance. I've got almost no cash reserves, instead putting almost everything into my 401k. If I really need cash for a while, I can always borrow against that. I know that's a big no-no, but I don't expect ever to suddenly need an emergency fund either. I don't have any dependents. Just a fairly cheap college loan that needs to be paid every month, with basic living expenses, and a fiancee who would help me out financially if really needed. If I was the head of a single-income household with kids, I might plan more carefully.

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
The only cash I hold is what would be needed to make the payments on the HELOC draw necessary to cover 6 months of living expenses.* This lets me invest a larger amount for growth. Opinions?* * * Grumpy
HELOCs are great for this.

Most people stash six months' expenses without considering that they'd be doing considerable belt-tightening as the first month dragged into two, then three... so six months' cash may actually last quite a bit longer.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:34 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Besides all the excellent reasons for holding cash:
Warren Buffett thinking, ScareBears, bond worries, realestate (REIT) bubbles, 2 faced Saudi cartels, Euro/Yen shell games, etc. :P

Cash is king (for awhile). I move in a bit at a time when it makes sense (to me) to do so. The transition from accumulation phase to distribution phase is a slow one. These things must be done dellllllllicately. A screw up could mean back to work

In the meantime (since ER in Jan.) I've invested about 25% in equities and 25% in bonds. The cash is doing well thank you, in Vanguard both taxable and t/free money market accounts... and I feel so fresh THAT might answer to why people hold cash. You can feel it. Loan it. Collateralize it. Invest it. Hoard it. Spend it. Its about as nutty a feeling as gold bugs have about gold.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Besides all the excellent reasons for holding cash:
Warren Buffett thinking, ScareBears, bond worries, realestate (REIT) bubbles, 2 faced Saudi cartels, Euro/Yen shell games, etc. :P
Does that mean that it is time to get rid of REIT fund holding?

Spanky
Old 06-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Read the HELOC documents and in many (I haven't seen all) there is an out for the bank. So in a dire emergency (yours or theirs) the funds might not be available, or at least might not be readily available. So some cash directly under your control is, IMHO, beneficial.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledrz
Read the HELOC documents and in many (I haven't seen all) there is an out for the bank.* So in a dire emergency (yours or theirs) the funds might not be available, or at least might not be readily available.* So some cash directly under your control is, IMHO, beneficial.
I carry no particular "reserve" or emergency fund. I agree HELOCs are
an excellent choice. I would have one now except for two (2) things.
Our primary residence is in a flood plain and I would be required to carry flood insurance, which I never have had, and both residences are
titled in corporate name which normally does not allow me to qualify for a HELOC. For most folks who want an easy way to tap that equity, it's a no-brainer.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Does that mean that it is time to get rid of REIT fund holding?

Spanky
Depends on the holdings. See if they are doing well individually, e.g. a REIT fund thats heavy with office space might be worse off than one with single family homes and retail space. If the top 10% are declining it might be time to sell.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I may pare off some of my reit holdings, although they're in my IRA and I wont be after that money for 20+ years yet, so maybe I'll let 'em ride.

What I've been doing though is having the dividends and gains sent off to buy small cap value index rather than reinvested though, so i'm sort of 'soft reducing' the holding.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #29

As an old Geography major from 40 years ago, I learned nobody should build on a flood plain.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Duh

Most of Louisiana is a flood plain - and then, and then hurricanes push water the other way.

Atop 12' plings is a modest concession - viewing Ivan from Dallas last year was just ducky.

A fish camp is a throw away item - like a coffee cup - you can keep reusing it for a while - until you can't.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
As an old Geography major from 40 years ago, I learned nobody should build on a flood plain.
I have owned property in this particular flood plain continuously since 1974.
The biggest problems I ever had were the mud which is left behind when
the water recedes, and where to put the dogs when they are swimming in their runs Otherwise, some simple precautions are all you need.
New construction has to be built up on pilings.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper

I too own coastal property. We that do spell relief F E M A
Great (cheap) insurance.

BUM
Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM

I too own coastal property. We that do spell relief F E M A
Great (cheap) insurance.

BUM
I'm also in the flood plain. There was about a foot of water on the property during the 93 flood. I built 7' above that so I should be OK. St. Louis would be under water before me. I pay less than $300 per year for flood insurance to cover $250K.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm
I'm also in the flood plain.* There was about a foot of water on the property during the 93 flood.* I built 7' above that so I should be OK.* St. Louis would be under water before me.* I pay less than $300 per year for flood insurance to cover $250K.* *
Wow, you have a deal. I bought a $100k 1200sq ranch on three acres in 1993. There is a trout stream in the backyard. In 1996 or so, we had a 100 year flood, but my house didn't get flooded. It's a daylight ranch so even if it did flood it would only flood the cement unfinished basement. It costs me $600 a year for the flood insurance and that doesn't cover any contents.

I've been thinking I'd drop the flood insurance once I pay the mortgage off next year.

I'm a big fan of insurance but in this case it doesn't seem reasonable.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I used to get a kick out of looking at property in certain areas of the CA central valley, much of which is a flood plain. Some realtors were pretty creative: "Seasonal Stream" or "Seasonal pond" on the properties were highly touted. I translated that to "barely controlled flooding".

Wifes old house was in a special flood hazard zone. We had three big floods in the time she lived there. Water came nowhere near the place. Glad we sold it as the army corps of engineers did a few million dollars worth of work to the levies nearby last year and then after finishing discovered that the levy foundations were shot and were offering nearly no flood protection at all.

New house is 35' above the 500 year flood line. You dont have to drive far to find homes with 3' deep ditches all around them. Lots and lots of rivers around here fed by Sierra snows. Lots of snow this year. Might be posting to you from an island sometime in the near future
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Might be posting to you from an island sometime in the near future
Waterfront property. $$$$$
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Hey and the fishing around here is good too.