Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

The answer for the missus is simple. She considers it a game to get great value and spend as little money as possible.

I'm generally not overly frugal but I save because my goal of retiring early. I want to save more than enough for retirement because similar to Marita40, I have this fear of not having enough/running out of money in retirement. Financial security is really important to me too.
One thing that's helped is that I've been giving more scrutiny for "some" of my purchases on whether it will pass the "make my life more enjoyable or more efficient" test.
YVRRocketSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have friends that are retired and rich. They got rich by being frugal. Now they are ridiculous. We tell them to spend their money to make their lives easier. My Scottish roots helped me amass my current stash but now I am determined to enjoy it!

(They have upgraded their wine selections! But they still refuse to pay for above standard accommodations in PV for 6 weeks when they visit. They only have one heir and he is rich on his own.)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW beat it into me.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #84
Dryer sheet wannabe

Being frugal was a necessity when we were just starting out. Now, it is a habit. Clipping and using coupons for groceries and eating out (which doesn't happen often), growing a garden, planting 'productive' plants for landscaping.
cat wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #85

Taught by parents and learned. As children, we were all required to save a portion of allowances/gift money. When we got jobs in high school, we had to save a portion of our salaries. Some sisters learned to save and others didn't. I am a saver and frugal in a lot of areas but do splurge for vehicles. Top of the line F150 and corvettes, Danmar.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #86

I fondly remember my mom saving each paycheck to buy a piece of Ethan Allen furniture (on layaway). Or packing lunch (extra for friends) when mom and dad went golfing. So many little stories, but adds up to dad retiring at 47.

I happily live on $10K/year, but soon at 4% SWR, it will be ~$200K. Thanks to parents for planting the seeds of frugality.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #87

I haven't been frugal enough for my current reason: the more stuff you have, the more your stuff owns you.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have always been a saver. Mostly only purchased what I need. At some point in life, I came to the mentality that a dollar spent now, meant I would have to work for a dollar longer later in life.
Then, I came to think of purchases in "do I want that widget now, or do I want to work xx weeks longer?"
I am frugal because I am do not want to work forever. The reason why I work so hard now, is not because I am a hard worker, it's because I am lazy... At some point (very soon), I no longer want to work.
+1 (bold is mine).
Fits me to a "T"!
Never had much so never needed much and I am lazy and want to check out of the game as soon as I can.
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

My dad and I went fishing for the day's sustenance. It was a good day when we caught enough to feed the family. This taught me at a young age, to use only enough of your resources to keep you alive and store the rest for future use. So I grew up being content with very little and still found maximum joy in life experiences.
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
+1 (bold is mine).
Fits me to a "T"!
Never had much so never needed much and I am lazy and want to check out of the game as soon as I can.
Lol, I'm pretty lazy too. That said, my savings goals are aimed more towards financial security/independence due to fear of not being able to work once I'm in my 40/50s (health issues, need to take care of parents, etc) or of pension getting cut or needing long term care.

My grandmother only had ~$15K/year combined SS and pension. While that was mostly enough for her to get by, her children had to pitch in for any unbudgeted expenses (e.g. hospital bills, etc). She worries about money quite a bit and I hope not to be in that position once I'm older since I don't plan on having any kids (and even if I did, I wouldn't want them to shoulder that burden).

The tricky part is balancing my goal of financial security with consumption smoothing.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:54 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents were children of the Great Depression and they were my greatest influence regarding frugality. Heck, I even turn people's lights out when I visit in their home. Embarrassing sometimes.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
My parents were children of the Great Depression and they were my greatest influence regarding frugality. Heck, I even turn people's lights out when I visit in their home. Embarrassing sometimes.
That's funny about the lights.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post

Although I avoid turning off lights at other peoples homes, I did inherit the "turn it off when you leave the room" mentality from my parents. Now that we've converted to CFL and LED lighting I'm fully aware it saves very little money, but emotionally unable to resist flipping off that switch...
Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #94

I'd say I was born that way to some extent. My sister is a big spender and has tons of debt, other than a house and car, I've never owed anything.
I'm frugal because I don't want for much. I don't need a fancy car, big house,expensive clothes, newest TV. I don't feel I'm missing anything by not having those things, so it's easy to be frugal.
BTW, I think there's a difference between frugal and cheap (I know some people think I'm cheap). Frugal people just don't like to waste money, cheap people won't spend a dime no matter what. My wife and I take nice vacations every year, we don't care, you have to enjoy life. I'll grab the check if we go out with friends. I spend money on my nieces and nephews. I just don't waste money on things that aren't important to me.
My wife and I live by the saying "We'd rather DO things then have things"
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #95

Parents divorced -
1) we ate but it usually was modest fare - franks and beans
2) didn't always have money for the oil burner
3) always in fear of the next shoe to drop

I wanted to be able to live financially fear free.. I learned it was better then I had hoped.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #96
Administrator

Yup, another one that likes to turn the lights off and close the doors others leave open. I think it's a virtue, but one that does seem to irritate some other humans. It's not the money, it's the sense of easily avoided waste.

We are 5 siblings, our financial habits are different and can't easily be explained by genetics or upbringing. I don't know what it is, but sure am glad that thoughts like "save now", "rainy day" and "what if" have always figured in my decision making.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yup, another one that likes to turn the lights off and close the doors others leave open. I think it's a virtue, but one that does seem to irritate some other humans. It's not the money, it's the sense of easily avoided waste.
+1. Some of my friends shake their heads at me and say 'what do you care, you can afford it (being wasteful).' Not the point at all to me, but I don't preach/argue.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
My wife and I live by the saying "We'd rather DO things then have things"
+1
Build memories and not warehouses!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I am a saver and frugal in a lot of areas but do splurge for vehicles. Top of the line F150 and corvettes, Danmar.
Nothing wrong with that if your are fair to DW!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:28 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I am a saver and frugal in a lot of areas but do splurge for vehicles. Top of the line F150 and corvettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Nothing wrong with that if your are fair to DW!
I would guess that a F150 is for his wife, it's a good passenger vehicle to go to the grocery store with.

He would likely get a F350, Diesel. A real truck (like mine). 2017 coming soon.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote