Join Early Retirement Today

Why bother diversified? Why not all in Index SP500?
Old 06-02-2023, 05:45 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
What about all in for VTSAX and chill?

That’s a solid option. However, because I have a large taxable brokerage account I use VTI (which is VTSAX in ETF format) and VOO and use them as TLH partners. I also have QQQ because I’m a software engineer and feel that the technology sector is going to continue to innovate and perform well in the decades to come.
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2023, 05:58 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt49 View Post
That’s a solid option. However, because I have a large taxable brokerage account I use VTI (which is VTSAX in ETF format) and VOO and use them as TLH partners. I also have QQQ because I’m a software engineer and feel that the technology sector is going to continue to innovate and perform well in the decades to come.
VTSAX is mostly technology.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:13 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
VTSAX is mostly technology.

True but only because many of the technology companies just happen to be some of the largest companies in the US. I like QQQ specifically for the technology sector-specific companies. Also, QQQ’s historical returns have been excellent and greater than VOO or VTI.

YMMW
Old 06-03-2023, 12:31 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True but only because many of the technology companies just happen to be some of the largest companies in the US. I like QQQ specifically for the technology sector-specific companies. Also, QQQ’s historical returns have been excellent and greater than VOO or VTI.

YMMW
I just can't imagine having all my eggs in one basket - good track record or not. The more diversity, probably the lower the overall returns - over time. BUT at any given moment, diversity is more likely to protect what you have. I prefer that to the opportunity for higher returns most of the time. It's very much a YMMV situation.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:34 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Oh, to live in a world where the balance is high enough that a 2% T Bill pays all the bills!
Old 06-03-2023, 07:46 AM   #66

A: People like to gamble. And try to beat the house.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:55 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I just can't imagine having all my eggs in one basket - good track record or not. The more diversity, probably the lower the overall returns - over time. BUT at any given moment, diversity is more likely to protect what you have. I prefer that to the opportunity for higher returns most of the time. It's very much a YMMV situation.

Regarding diversity and having “all eggs in one basket”, VOO is Vanguard’s S&P 500 ETF (and thus 500 individual stocks). VTI is Vanguard’s total US stock market which contains several thousand companies. QQQ has just over 100 technology companies.

Sure, there’s overlap across those 3 ETF’s and given the “weighting”, the “bigger” ones have more exposure. However, holding thousands of individual stocks (with 3 ETF’s) is not “holding all my eggs in one basket”.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post

+1. Vanguard has us in a globally-diversified array of bond and stock index funds, which, last I tallied, exposes us to some 27,000 securities. Seems like one could approximate that with just two funds, the Vanguard World Stock and the World Bond fund, but who am I to argue with our Vanguard CFP?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutan View Post
If you have enough to live on or have the risk tolerance to take in large market drops, yes just put it all in S&P 500 or total stock market. Big market downturns such as the one in 2000 still scare me so I prefer 50% in stocks and the rest in bonds, gold, cash.
+1 -- I do not have the stomach for a 20+ percent decline.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:14 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Oh, to live in a world where the balance is high enough that a 2% T Bill pays all the bills!
Years ago, I read a book by Zvi Bodie who recommended (IIRC) to place most of your stash into TIPS. At the time he wrote the book, they were paying 3% over inflation. Had I read the book earlier, I just might have done that. Of course, now, Tips are basically paying inflation IIRC. I haven't looked for a while as I've had little interest.

But, that would be kinda nice - 3% over inflation. I could live on that!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:00 PM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
What is the Fidelity equivalent of VTSAX (ETF) ?
soylentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:51 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soylentgreen View Post

I’m not sure but my accounts are with Fidelity and you can buy Vanguard ETF’s on Fidelity’s platform. VTI is the total US stock market index ETF.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:17 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That would be FSKAX. Fidelity doesn’t do ETFs.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:11 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
iShares Core S&P Total US Stock Market ETF (ITOT) https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/ishares
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:18 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That would be FSKAX. Fidelity doesn’t do ETFs.

Also FZROX. Fidelity has several ETFs, just none that track major broad stock indexes.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:30 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I’m not sure but my accounts are with Fidelity and you can buy Vanguard ETF’s on Fidelity’s platform. VTI is the total US stock market index ETF.
Is there an extra cost for purchasing Vanguard ETF's/Mutual Funds within Fidelity?
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:39 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Is there an extra cost for purchasing Vanguard ETF's/Mutual Funds within Fidelity?

Nope it’s 100% free. I also have algorithmic day trading accounts with other brokers like TD Ameritrade and my algo leverages ETF’s (like VOO) and it’s 100% free as well. My favorite ETF’s for algo trading are TQQQ and SQQQ because TQQQ is a triple leveraged ETF that tracks QQQ and SQQQ is the inverse of TQQQ.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:11 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
+1. Vanguard has us in a globally-diversified array of bond and stock index funds, which, last I tallied, exposes us to some 27,000 securities. Seems like one could approximate that with just two funds, the Vanguard World Stock and the World Bond fund, but who am I to argue with our Vanguard CFP?
To me that is not unreasonable, over a long enough period of time should work for investors and retirees in withdrawal but I have become uncomfortable with BND/IBND for fixed income without finding a single fund to replace them. So I have ibonds, MM, some TIPs and my TSP G fund (no CDs right now) and balanced funds like VG W&W. When the BND 12 month yield to catch up with its current monthly yield I would go back to BND and maybe go back to sleep for the rest of my now shortening investment horizon.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
I view both my pension and VA disability as the equivalent of a large portfolio of government bonds.
Same here, however I do not consider them as bonds. Because they are not bonds. Did you consider your military pay as bonds? Probably not. Same deal. BTW, thanks for your service.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Same here, however I do not consider them as bonds. Because they are not bonds. Did you consider your military pay as bonds? Probably not. Same deal. BTW, thanks for your service.
Think of them as bond-like or just ballast for equities. In any case, they are "safe" and "reliable" income producers which mean (to some of us) we can take a bigger stake in equities. As always, we all have our ways of looking at things so YMMV.