Join Early Retirement Today

Why can't I just do it?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why can't I just do it?

Today was annual review day at work. Had been planning to tell the supervisor that my RE day would be April 1 (seems such an appropriate day). Before I got to it, he told me I was getting a 25K raise and I kept my mouth shut.

I don't think money's the issue, have 28 times annual earnings waiting to spend. I don't really like my job, don't hate it either. How do you get the words out?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Why can't I just do it?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
I don't really like my job, don't hate it either. How do you get the words out?
Maybe you're not ready. If you're not trying to get away from something, and you're not trying to run towards something, what is your motivation?

I gave notice when I was 39. The job wasn't bad, but I wasn't getting many new/interesting challenges, and the commute was a real drag. Plus, I thought it would be cool to say "I retired in my 30's."

Anyway, my boss responded with an offer I couldn't refuse, so I gave the place one more year of my life. I spent one more beautiful summer indoors. I tolerated one more year of mind-numbing BS.

I regretted wasting that year. I never regretted any of the money I left on the table. After that year, I played outdoors the entire summer! And every summer since.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Today was annual review day at work. Had been planning to tell the supervisor that my RE day would be April 1 (seems such an appropriate day). Before I got to it, he told me I was getting a 25K raise and I kept my mouth shut.

I don't think money's the issue, have 28 times annual earnings waiting to spend. I don't really like my job, don't hate it either. How do you get the words out?
Why did you keep quiet? Did it seem rude to tell your boss the bad news that you were leaving after he gave you the good news about a 25K raise? Is padding your nest egg --- certainly easier with a 25K raise -- an appealing idea to you? Is it something else?

Once you understand the reason for your silence, you can more clearly decide how to move forward on this (or not).

Best wishes,
--Linney
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps you will not have contributed $20,000 to your 401(k) plan by April 1st, so you aren't quite ready to RE? Why leave money on the table?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Perhaps you will not have contributed $20,000 to your 401(k) plan by April 1st, so you aren't quite ready to RE? Why leave money on the table?
LOL - good point.

Also, you can tell your boss that you are thinking about RE and that you want to set up a smooth transition for ABOUT April/May. As time goes on become more definative on the date. But do NOT write your resignation letter until two weeks before your exit date. Get all your physical check ups done. You just do not know what will might happen to you - an illness is discovered or you have a car accident.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My problem was telling some of my clients. I think I was a little worried about them quizing me too much, combined with the possibilty that they would try to talk me out of it. I also wanted a good plan in place to take care of them so I had to sell that plan.

I think I would have a hard time telling the boss right after getting a significant raise. Wait a bit and then tell them. Just walk in the door and blurt it out.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It can be very hard to tell people you are leaving. Especially if you feel like you are letting people down who value you - something the $25K raise may hint at. I went through a very weird few days when I decided to pull the plug. I was planning to wait about 2 years (job wasn't bad and I was highly appreciated) but less than a month after I reached eligibility for a full pension I woke up one morning and bam I just couldn't go to work anymore. I literally felt like I would not be able to put in another day. I even started dreaming up providing some sort of BS medical excuse and never going back in. DW got me straight by saying, "what, are you nuts - just go in and tell them you are leaving." Once I thought things through I realized I could put in a few more months until the end of the year which provided a reasonable transition. But I found it very difficult to tell my employees.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I know what you mean.

This past December my boss left the company. Two weeks later a key employee of mine left. My boss's boss asked me to take over my boss's job on a temporary basis. (been there done that before for 8 months in 2004).

My plan has been to RE once my cabin sells and I pay off a couple of mortgages and salt the remainder away for future cat food purchases when we get older. The cabin is still for sale and with 10 feet of snow around it will most likely stay that way until May. The boss and I reach an agreement and I will hang around and fill in until they find a replacement for my boss. Last time it took 8 months to find a replacement. I hope they work faster this time since my personal calendar of events (FIRE) date has been July 1, 2007 for several years and I have intention of changing that without some MAJOR compensation (which is very unlikely with this company).

So I guess this is a way to continue to feather my FIRE nest and get some much needed home upgrades done without dipping into my retirement stash. But, once Spring hits it will be very difficult to want to stick around here much longer...especially if the cabin sells since DW is now on permanant disability and has no work schedule to deal with.

Deja vu all over again.