Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2020, 12:54 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassa View Post
Hello,

Fidelity no longer charges any fees to buy or sell ETFs.

https://www.fidelity.com/why-fidelity/pricing-fees
All ETFs, or just Fido’s ?
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 04:50 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All stocks and ETFs.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
All ETFs, or just Fido’s ?
All. In the past they had a deal with iShares only where they traded with no commission. But now it's all.

They do, however, have a small activity assessment fee still when selling an ETF ranging from $0.01 to $0.03 per $1000 of principal.

https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/overvi...%20investments.

Cheers.
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #44

Yeah, as far as stock/ETF commissions, several app-based investment brokers had ways to trade free, and then someone not quite as small went commission-free, then in September/October Schwab did too, and the other big dominoes fell quickly. (Meaning Vanguard, Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, etc.)

There was a transition period there where several brokers had a program or family of ETFs that could be freely traded either freely or as part of a robo-advisor, but now market and limit orders for U.S. stocks & ETFs are free. (Well, depending on brokerage, but any brokerage who doesn't have free trades may not be around much longer.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #45

We own a mix of Vanguard and iShares ETFs, all housed at Fidelity. I prefer ETFs in our taxable accounts due to minimal capital gain distributions. We own the same ETFs in tax-advantaged accounts just to keep the overall number of tickers to a minimum, and I do like intraday trading on the rare occasion that we make a trade. However, if I ever get around to it, I'll probably move all of our VTI positions in tax-advantaged to FZROX for the 0.0% ER. CGDs aren't a problem there. We own a lot of VTI and the compounded effect of the small ER difference is fairly substantial over 30 years. Definitely worth the 5 minutes to move it all.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
However, if I ever get around to it, I'll probably move all of our VTI positions in tax-advantaged to FZROX for the 0.0% ER. CGDs aren't a problem there. We own a lot of VTI and the compounded effect of the small ER difference is fairly substantial over 30 years. Definitely worth the 5 minutes to move it all.
At this point perhaps the tracking error is more of an issue than the expense ratio.

It used to be the case that Vanguard made up for the expense ratio by clever strategies such that their after expenses return was very nearly equal to the index return most of the time. It was only off by a few basis points, and this was back when their expense ratios were on the order of a dozen basis points. If they are still as clever, I would expect the Vanguard index funds to beat the index itself by 5-10 basis points.

I think FZROX is too new to know for sure what their tracking error will be.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
At this point perhaps the tracking error is more of an issue than the expense ratio.

It used to be the case that Vanguard made up for the expense ratio by clever strategies such that their after expenses return was very nearly equal to the index return most of the time. It was only off by a few basis points, and this was back when their expense ratios were on the order of a dozen basis points. If they are still as clever, I would expect the Vanguard index funds to beat the index itself by 5-10 basis points.

It's true that FZROX has little history. But Fidelity's index funds have a long history of fee offsets as well. This is not unique to Vanguard. Here's an article that compares Fidelity's zero funds (FZROX) to Vanguard (VTI) on several criteria. The writer grades them "even" on fee offsets or positive tracking error and provides some historical data to support that. Overall, he gives the nod to VTI, but primarily due to tax efficiency. Of course, that is a well-documented advantage for ETFs in general, which is why I'll continue to hold VTI in taxable accounts. But more importantly, it is not relevant for tax-advantaged accounts, which is where I'll hold FZROX.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

Based on some reading across the internet, especially in the early months of its existence, not everybody may realize that FZROX tracks a proprietary index created by (or for) Fidelity and, as such, is the only fund anywhere that tracks that index. So, it is important that it tracks its own index and I expect it will since both the fund and the index belong to Fidelity.

Now, it is a total market index, very similar to many other total market indices and comparing long term performance to those indices is important - time will tell. But there's no reason that FZROX should track those indices perfectly since it's not set up to.

My guess: In terms of performance, it will be well within envelope of other Total Stock Market funds, so unlikely to matter if held in a tax advantaged account. Key thing to watch out for if it's held in a taxable account and what its tax efficiency will be vs. other choices.
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have the ETF equivalent of the mutual funds in my taxable portfolio. For one thing, it does not distribute capital gains so no surprises.
Also, one thing I really dislike about mutual funds is that if I buy/sell, i have no idea what the price for the transaction (or number of shares purchased) until after it is all over. I like being able to know the price of the ETF.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

My issue is the selection of investments. FBGRX doesn't have a comparable investments in an ETF