Join Early Retirement Today

Why Do Billionaires Want More?
Old 03-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why Do Billionaires Want More?

While researching an upcoming book, I'm finding that many billionaires go to great lengths (legal and illegal) to increase their wealth.

Why is that? What can you do with two billion that you can't do with one billion?

My guess is that it's just an insatiable and irrational desire to get more money—like collectors who go to extremes.

Your thoughts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Why do athletes try to get the Olympic gold medals? Why do people risk their life to climb Mt. Everest?

Billionaires look at making money as a challenge, not because they need to get more to spend. Actors and sport players make money to spend, and spend they do.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

To run up the score. Personally I'm in a prevent defense. Hope it works better than in the NFL.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
Administrator

I think money is the way they measure themselves, and others.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
While researching an upcoming book, I'm finding that many billionaires go to great lengths (legal and illegal) to increase their wealth.

Why is that? What can you do with two billion that you can't do with one billion?

My guess is that it's just an insatiable and irrational desire to get more money—like collectors who go to extremes.

Your thoughts?
I don't personally know any billionaires. Since there are only about 550 billionaires in the US, it's likely that nobody here personally knows any billionaires, so folks are just guessing at their motivations. I know many millionaires. I'm guessing you could ask exactly the same question about millionaires.

I think we each individually decide what is enough and what is not. For some, having more than [the others] is what constitutes "enough". For others, having a few dollars to let them get by while living off the grid and retiring at 30 is "enough". For some, having funds so that their children can eat is "enough".

In much of the world, almost all of us would be accused of having "an insatiable and irrational desire to get more money" as well.

Enough is always in the eye of the beholder.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always figured it was a form of 'hoarding disorder', where people use stuff to fill a personal void. Some people hoard pets or stuff they think they or someone else might use again. Some people hoard money.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Administrator

Billionaires are no different than the rest of us. They want "more", as do we all. Its the whole reason we have the 10th Commandment.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1
Old 03-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If people want more, and are willing to work within the legal and ethical framework to make more money, I don't think their action is any different than any other human endeavor.

I recall an interview of Bartiromo with Soros. When asked why he still worked, Soros said that it was to prove to himself (and perhaps to others too) that his view of the world was correct.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #10

Because they feel insecure .. or they unconsciously want to suffer because of the insatiable desire of wanting more.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If people want more, and are willing to work within the legal and ethical framework to make more money, I don't think their action is any different than any other human endeavor.

I recall an interview of Bartiromo with Soros. When asked why he still worked, Soros said that it was to prove to himself (and perhaps to others too) that his view of the world was correct.
And think about that, people always have the desire to show that they are better or smarter than the next guy. For billionaires, money is the way to keep score. Bezos can now say that he knows about retailing and distribution more than any other businessman. Who can refute that? Steve Jobs said he knew what gadgets the public did not even know they wanted until he showed them.

Down at our pedestrian level, people enter into endless discussion about the best way to invest. And it involves other people's money, not even our own. Why, the desire to be smarter is with everybody.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Lot of billionaires are into their 70s or even in their 80s.

They continue to work.

Certainly goes against the ethos of ER. Not even sure if it's about leaving a huge inheritance. Some of them have committed to giving large portions of their wealth.

The robber barons founded universities and endowments. I'm sure there will be many hospital wings and university buildings named after them.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I have no way of knowing, but my guess is that it's not about the money. Maybe up to a point, but I believe they are driven by whatever their passion is. Especially after a certain level is reached.

Another alternative my be the fear of losing it all if they don't keep going. They keep doing what got them to the party and while they may not be after more money, they want to stay at the party and the money becomes secondary.

Personally, I've never seen or read a billionaire say that they do it for the money. They typically talk about their passion. Maybe that's just PR bull crap, but I don't think so. I think they genuinely are passionate about what they are doing.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #14

Another reason is that billionaires must continuously strife for success and growth as a mechanism that provides meaning to life. Without growth and success, life is boring or meaningless (to them). However, they fail to recognize that wanting more than you ever need is the root of suffering - how ironic!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #15

I've met the founder of EPIC Systems (not that I really know her) and she recently got onto the Forbes Billionaire list. (so I guess I met a billionaire) Seemed like a nice but driven person. She apparently loves building the company and that is her passion. She lives in a house that many of us here could afford, so I guess it's not the money.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Personally, I've never seen or read a billionaire say that they do it for the money. They typically talk about their passion. Maybe that's just PR bull crap, but I don't think so. I think they genuinely are passionate about what they are doing.
It's highly plausible that they truly have a passion of creating products and services that benefit society and continuously building their business.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Billionaires are no different than the rest of us. They want "more", as do we all. Its the whole reason we have the 10th Commandment.
Don't know about the 10th commandment (had to look that up) but agree with Gumby. I want more and if you don't want yours, I'll take it!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to work for a billionaire in a family company with a very long history in business. He is in his 80's now. I believe that his desire is for the business to continue to be very successful in order to preserve the legacy of the company and provide for future generations of his family to be able to continue to run the company in this tradition.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #19

The richest people i know are still working on their late 60, 70, and the richest is in his 80s.
It's their lives, what else would they do?
And at least some of them measure themselves by their net worth.

Me? I got out as soon as I figured I could. Now I'll never be a billionaire.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I always figured it was a form of 'hoarding disorder', where people use stuff to fill a personal void. Some people hoard pets or stuff they think they or someone else might use again. Some people hoard money.
This is exactly what I think. Best answer, from my point of view anyway.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote