Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
While researching an upcoming book, I'm finding that many billionaires go to great lengths (legal and illegal) to increase their wealth.

Why is that? What can you do with two billion that you can't do with one billion?

My guess is that it's just an insatiable and irrational desire to get more money—like collectors who go to extremes.

Your thoughts?
I don't know, but its probably the same reason that got them a billion in the first place.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Yes, they have more money.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, they have more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Billionaires are no different than the rest of us. They want "more", as do we all.
As I recall, "more" was what legendary labor activist Samuel Gompers said he wanted.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
The richest people i know are still working on their late 60, 70, and the richest is in his 80s.
It's their lives, what else would they do?
And at least some of them measure themselves by their net worth.

Me? I got out as soon as I figured I could. Now I'll never be a billionaire.
+1
Old 03-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Why do athletes try to get the Olympic gold medals? Why do people risk their life to climb Mt. Everest?

Billionaires look at making money as a challenge, not because they need to get more to spend. Actors and sport players make money to spend, and spend they do.

heh heh heh - Yep. Establishes the pecking order or leader of the pack or ?.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #25

Why do millionaires want more?

....feel free to weigh in...
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #26

I only met one. He is a majority owner of units in our condo in Florida. You would think he has better things to do, but he attends many of our association conference calls and as a majority owner dictates how to cut expenses. He also attends social functions held at our condo. He owns 2500 units in Florida and about 3500 apartment units in Los Angeles. He made over a billion buying credit default swaps on subprime mortgage back securities as housing crashed after 2008. Instead of calling it quits and relaxing, he rolled his gains into buying condos that owners/developers were defaulting on. Most of those were in Florida. All in all, a smart move. He is a workaholic and extremely driven. When he was younger, I was told he traveled across the country selling circus tickets to help him pay his expenses at Harvard. I was also told he bought his first house as an MBA student at Harvard and rented out rooms to other students. He had 18 properties at graduation. For him it's not about money anymore, he just likes what he is doing, likes taking calculated risks, and micro-manages the world around him.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I do part time contract work for a European billionaire in the top 100 of world incomes. They are a down to earth family that likes to travel and camp with their three children in a ten year old RV. They keep in great physical shape and invest wisely (made another billion last year). If they sat next to you in a diner you would have no idea they are rich unless you were very perceptive and notice their undercover security.
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #28

Quote:
While researching an upcoming book, I'm finding that many billionaires go to great lengths (legal and illegal) to increase their wealth.

Why is that? What can you do with two billion that you can't do with one billion?

My guess is that it's just an insatiable and irrational desire to get more money—like collectors who go to extremes.

Your thoughts?
My thoughts? Billionaires are people and I certainly don't think that they all alike and have the same motivations. I don't like putting people in a box, but since it is a very small "class" it seems to be an acceptable prejudice.

Some billionaires have been very clever creating businesses, and their businesses are their babies - their creations, and they are motivated to grow their creations. It's a feeling of accomplishment. Some feel a responsibility to their employees and/or customers and/or families. I don't espouse an arbitrary number where one has to roll over and stop being involved with his/ her business/ creation or be "insatiable and irrational." Some want to grow their wealth to fund technologies or charities.

Some people of course will do anything for money. There are "bad" people on all ends of the economic scale. There are people who will murder someone for their wallet. Of course some billionaires are motivated by a desire for power and control, some recognition, some get their jollies by watching their net worth grow. Hmm, seems I've seen that one before, albeit on a smaller scale.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Those thoughts will be useful, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post

1 Million: Coach
2 Million: First Class
3 Million: Chartered Jet
10 Million: Private Jet
Old 03-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

heh heh heh - Yep. Establishes the pecking order or leader of the pack or ?.
Yes, that is it! For some billionaires, and I cannot say that applies to them all, as I do not know any, let alone what all of them think.

I read a biography of James Clark, founder of Silicon Graphics, Netscape, myCFO, and Healtheon, in that order of time. He ordered a sailing yacht built, called Hyperion, that had the tallest mast for a while. It barely cleared the Golden Gate bridge. He got bent out of shape when someone else's yacht had a taller one.

Quote:
Those thoughts will be useful, thanks.

1 Million: Coach
2 Million: First Class
3 Million: Chartered Jet
10 Million: Private Jet
Sorry to tell you that 3M is not enough to charter a jet. Well, you can but cannot travel very far or very often, as a 2-hour flight will cost $10K for a smaller jet, in addition to membership fees.

And $10M is definitely not enough for a private jet, as a Gulfstream IV is about $40M. Maybe a decamillionaire can get a smallest jet, a Cirrus Vision with 7 seats. It costs an "affordable" $2M.

The problem is the short range of the Cirrus. It is only 600 nautical miles. How are you going to cross the ocean?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

One factor. Some people simply cannot sleep at night knowing that somewhere in the world, someone has more money than they do.

There are studies that give folks choices like these:
(a) you get $50, someone else gets $25
(b) you get $100, someone else gets $200

The majority of folks pick the (a) choice, even though it means they will have less money.

I have seen this play out among some of my Ivy League classmates. I have related how at one reunion one of them, who was worth in the tens of millions, was miserable when he found out another classmate that he thought was inferior to him was worth hundreds of millions. He did not think that classmate deserved it, and he started planning moves to make more money for himself, in the hopes that he would have more by our next reunion.

Not saying this is the only reason, as there are many others as noted above. Some with money also want to make more because they want to give any more or support more causes. Which is not a bad thing if done legally.

But as was mentioned above, there are probably those who are not millionaires who wonder why anyone needs to have more than a million. I have family members who if they knew we had $100K in cash in the bank would say that we didn't need that much, and we would be greedy for wanting more. I also have had a discussion with more than a few people who feel that "no one needs to make more than $100K in yearly income, anything beyond that is greedy".

So... wondering why others who have more would want more might just be all relative.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Case 1: Primitive man: Lives in a hunter-gatherer or agricultural society with a barter economy (i.e. the way most of humanity has existed for most of our existence). He's hot when it is hot, cold when it is cold, hungry most of the time, riddled with parasites and maladies, and, if very lucky, lives to the age of 35.

Case 2: You and I.

Case 3: A billionaire.

The difference between the quality of life of the primitive man and you and I is >much< larger than between us and a billionaire. We can eat whenever we want and choose from a wide variety of foods from around the world. We can communicate with anyone anywhere, we can visit any spot on the globe for the price of two weeks labor. We are seldom uncomfortably hot or cold, we live twice as long as primitive man could hope for ,and the majority of that time is spent in pretty good health. We generally die before most of our children, an amazing accomplishment. The primitive man would surely ask why anyone who lived as we do would ever want more. But, most of us do.

If we understand that, we'll understand the billionaire.

Anyway, it is not just about "getting things." As many have mentioned here, it is also about helping those who depend on you (in the business, in the family, friends, etc). That can mean continuing to run/stay involved with the business.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=NW-Bound;2024148]Yes, that is it!

Sorry to tell you that 3M is not enough to charter a jet. Well, you can but cannot travel very far or very often, as a 2-hour flight will cost $10K for a smaller jet, in addition to membership fees.

And $10M is definitely not enough for a private jet, as a Gulfstream IV is about $40M. Maybe a decamillionaire can get a smallest jet, a Cirrus Vision with 7 seats. It costs an "affordable" $2M.

-------------

Yes, I'd agree those amounts are not enough. At $10M, you have to think pretty damn hard about first/global business class at full retail prices. If you come from modest places, this is a very big jump, take it from me.

Forget private planes at those levels. IMO, $25M would probably be that entry point or perhaps even higher.
timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
... there are probably those who are not millionaires who wonder why anyone needs to have more than a million. I have family members who if they knew we had $100K in cash in the bank would say that we didn't need that much, and we would be greedy for wanting more. I also have had a discussion with more than a few people who feel that "no one needs to make more than $100K in yearly income, anything beyond that is greedy".

So... wondering why others who have more would want more might just be all relative.
Yes. Thank you.

I was trying to say the same thing in an earlier post, but perhaps I was too subtle.

There are people who are trying to make ends meet with minimum wage. And here we are, a bunch of fortunate early retirees discussing "blowing the dough" on business class seats to fancy foreign land.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #35

Quote:

To RE!
Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Controlling personalities?
Narcissism?
Manic depression, i.e. Ted Turner?
Nothing else to conquer?
Never learned to relax?
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
To RE!
Eh, one can RE with so little. Google "Cheap RV Living" to see how people live on $500/month.

But you say "I want to live in my 3,000-sq.ft. home with a garage for our German autos, business-class seats to exotic vacation spots, etc...".

Why can't others say "I want my own jet, mansions around the world, bodyguards to keep harm away, doctors on call for my sniffles, etc..." ?

Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #38

Why Do Billionaires Want More?

Do billionaires "want more?" Maybe, but "more what?"
I don't know for sure, but I can make something up.

OK, I figure a billionaire is good at what got him that billion (assuming he didn't simply inherit it) or that he did inherit it, but made the billion grow into some big money.

And, maybe it's all of a fun game for him (although it might be a her). He's good at it, he gets to play against the best and he gets to work with the best. He doesn't see it as work. He is not stuck in a cubicle; he makes huge deals in exclusive resorts and restaurants. Or, he is creative and enjoys the creative process--which also brings him satisfaction and money. Why should he stop doing what he does so well?

Maybe best of all for him, he will never cross paths with the likes of me.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

And he does not bother to debate with peons like us on this forum.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I only met one. He is a majority owner of units in our condo in Florida. You would think he has better things to do, but he attends many of our association conference calls and as a majority owner dictates how to cut expenses. He also attends social functions held at our condo. He owns 2500 units in Florida and about 3500 apartment units in Los Angeles. He made over a billion buying credit default swaps on subprime mortgage back securities as housing crashed after 2008. Instead of calling it quits and relaxing, he rolled his gains into buying condos that owners/developers were defaulting on. Most of those were in Florida. All in all, a smart move. He is a workaholic and extremely driven. When he was younger, I was told he traveled across the country selling circus tickets to help him pay his expenses at Harvard. I was also told he bought his first house as an MBA student at Harvard and rented out rooms to other students. He had 18 properties at graduation. For him it's not about money anymore, he just likes what he is doing, likes taking calculated risks, and micro-manages the world around him.
Was he in The Big Short?