Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, you can’t say the market is down just a little now.
Just posted similar on a different thread--"just" 10.5 this month, so far.

Good thing I wasn't 100% equities, but I did about 20% of the rebalance on the 23rd!
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I find there is an element of MARKET DROPPED 2% OMG ARMAGEDDON IS UPON US emotion in the way it is reported. The stories on the drops all mention how the markets are down this year, for the first time in several years - but never point out that they are still up from 2008-2009, or even from 2015.

Edited to add: In sum, bad news sells. Good news does not, so folks tend to look for any bad within the good. Human nature.
While there is some greedy manipulation of reporting to drive viewer interest for sure, I think sometimes we're just giving them too much credit.

There is an old joke that "those who can't do teach, and those that can't teach consult."

I offer an addendum: "those that can't consult report"

It would be fascinating for everyone in the financial news media to have to disclose their own investments, savings rate, and financial moves. I suspect these people would by-and-large have horrid financial situations due to both human frailty (the usual problem of not saving enough) and being so close to the news cycles that they try to market time everything.

Throw in their own confirmation bias -- we all want to be right -- and you get a recipe for a feedback loop in the financial news media.

Negative begets negative actions by news employees begets negative confirmation bias reporting more negative news.

Positive beget positive actions actions by news employees begets positive confirmation bias reporting more positive news.

I watch CNBC every day because I find it interesting, but I don't take any actions based on opinions I hear there.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
However, somebody who is a year from retirement is also in the accumulations phase, but any benefits of a "sale" will be dwarfed by the losses from what's already been invested.
Yes, but....

For some of us we can buffer the sadness of the losses by doing the old re-balancing trick to buy more stocks and telling ourselves "This to shall Pass" and when it does we will be even better off than before. Granted, there are no guarantees, but for many folks, the historical odds seem favorable.

IMHO, this is not the time for the average investor to go All-In or totally Bailout.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
True Story: I am on the investment committee for a nonprofit and the investment guy for the firm running the money has been reluctant to sell some donated Class A mutual funds because a big front-end load fee aka sunk cost was paid for them. The funds are dogs. After 6 months of waffling with us waiting for him to grasp the obvious, we finally just directed him to sell. He is a former CPA and has these initials on his bio: CFA, CFP, CPWA. I think he is really not too bright but has real talent for passing multiple choice tests.
An investment guy who doesn't understand 'sunk costs' should be torpedoed.

We also need to understand that the current media circus is all about getting people worked up and upset. They have monetized outrage, fear and anger, and they realize nobody is going to watch, click and buy if they give a calm rational perspective.

Those 'investors' who will soon be plucked are getting worked up about the President maybe firing the Chairman of the FRB. The smart guys and gals are considering re-balancing their AA early so as to get a better deal on their investments.

My 2˘, take what you wish and leave the rest.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #65

People- like me- worry. Not complaining. We don't have pensions and will have to live on our money in another year or so. We were hoping to postpone taking SS and if stocks go down we probably won't be able to, living in a high tax state and trying to sell our home and move.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
"Humans may be hardwired to be loss averse due to asymmetric evolutionary pressure on losses and gains: for an organism operating close to the edge of survival, the loss of a day's food could cause death, whereas the gain of an extra day's food would not cause an extra day of life (unless the food could be easily and effectively stored)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion
Daniel Kahneman won a Nobel prize for research on this topic. “Prospect Theory” and supporting research showed that people value a gain much less than they fear (value avoiding) an equivalent loss. Economists for centuries had based their science on the “rational man” model ($1 gained is equal to a $1 loss avoided), which Prospect Theory refutes. Google either Kahneman or Prospect Theory for more information.
RIGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm retiring shortly. I have a 50/50 stock/bond & CD allocation and a 40 year retirement plan. Or said another way, in a down stock market, I can live off the bonds & CDs for 20 years before I need to sell any stocks. History has shown that down stock markets only last a few years.

It's a little unnerving seeing the down stock market, but not enough to postpone my retirement!
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote