Join Early Retirement Today

Why does Fidelity say I have cash but won't let me buy a CD
Old 10-11-2023, 07:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Why does Fidelity say I have cash but won't let me buy a CD

For some reason I'm not "getting it" with Fidelity website. All I am trying to do is buy CDs. My acct says I have plenty of $, but when I go to buy a CD, it says I don't have enough (3 x less). My ultimate goal: Buy CDS and when they come due, have the cash flow back into a bucket where I can buy more. At first Fidelity told me to use a money market - but when that stopped letting me buy CDs I transferred all the funds into a sweep, thinking 'for sure' that would work, but it didn't. (still says I don't have enough $)

Can anyone give met the kindergarten level explanation of how I can just have an account where I buy CDs, and when they come due (and I get the cash back), it just flows back in a place where I can buy more. How that happens isn't working for me. Vanguard and Schwab seem easy, Fidelity website is confusing. My money seems in jail.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2023, 07:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want to buy $10,000 worth of CDs, are you entering 10,000 or 10?
Settlement timing may come into play as well.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
If you want to buy $10,000 worth of CDs, are you entering 10,000 or 10?
Settlement timing may come into play as well.
Yes, I'm entering it correctly. I've bought several CDs in the past, so I'm familiar with the process. (I do understand the quirk of that section too. It would be easy to type too many zeros if you aren't paying attention).
Old 10-11-2023, 08:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook2 View Post
Yes, I'm entering it correctly. I've bought several CDs in the past, so I'm familiar with the process. (I do understand the quirk of that section too. It would be easy to type too many zeros if you aren't paying attention).
How fast after having the cash do you attempt to enter the new order?
Old 10-11-2023, 08:34 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why don't you call them and ask?
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I can't help with your question except to say that I too find Fidelity's site confusing when it comes to portfolio positions. As an example, I get some cash added to the various core positions of my accounts. Yet, I'm not exactly sure why.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I can't help with your question except to say that I too find Fidelity's site confusing when it comes to portfolio positions. As an example, I get some cash added to the various core positions of my accounts. Yet, I'm not exactly sure why.
All the transactions are detailed Activities and Orders. If there are numerous core transactions, just unclick the box that says view settlement account transactions. It can be found in the filters link.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:47 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Call Fidelity and ask them - they have excellent phone support in my opinion.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:20 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
You are experiencing the reason why I did not choose Fidelity, despite all its good points: the website is a cluster-flop. Clunky, confusing. You chase your own tail. Not for me.
GhostofTomJoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:07 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofTomJoad View Post
You are experiencing the reason why I did not choose Fidelity, despite all its good points: the website is a cluster-flop. Clunky, confusing. You chase your own tail. Not for me.
Funny, thatís the reason I left two other firms and consolidated to Fidelity. Itís the most logical and straightforward to me vs. others Iíve used.
Yipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #11

Not being able to easily buy a CD is discouraging to me as a potential future joiner of Fidelity for that express purpose.
Brook2 if you get an answer do you mind posting it here?

I think I am getting stupider I just realized I paid a bill for $5 that was actually not owed. It was a $5 credit to the account not a debit. Oops. Details. So now a little extra credit.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofTomJoad View Post
I find it just the opposite. I think you can do more things via the website without having to call. I think itís pretty robust.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Not being able to easily buy a CD is discouraging to me as a potential future joiner of Fidelity for that express purpose.
Brook2 if you get an answer do you mind posting it here?

I think I am getting stupider I just realized I paid a bill for $5 that was actually not owed. It was a $5 credit to the account not a debit. Oops. Details. So now a little extra credit.
Itís easy to buy fixed income at Fidelity. The OP has an issue that is likely a simple answer.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:04 AM   #14

Using Fidelity site is really easy and I have not had any issues buying CDs using available cash. Either you have pending unsettled activities or you are not doing something right. Just call Fidelity.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
All the transactions are detailed Activities and Orders. If there are numerous core transactions, just unclick the box that says view settlement account transactions. It can be found in the filters link.
Thanks for the tip. Now I have a bread crumb to work with.

Actually, in my case by clicking the box to show settlement account transactions, hopefully I can see what cash deposits going into the cores are coming from where. At first glance seems like dividends are getting put in core. I'll have to look closer when I have the time.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:32 AM   #16

Quote:
For some reason I'm not "getting it" with Fidelity website. All I am trying to do is buy CDs. My acct says I have plenty of $, but when I go to buy a CD, it says I don't have enough (3 x less). My ultimate goal: Buy CDS and when they come due, have the cash flow back into a bucket where I can buy more. At first Fidelity told me to use a money market - but when that stopped letting me buy CDs I transferred all the funds into a sweep, thinking 'for sure' that would work, but it didn't. (still says I don't have enough $)

Can anyone give met the kindergarten level explanation of how I can just have an account where I buy CDs, and when they come due (and I get the cash back), it just flows back in a place where I can buy more. How that happens isn't working for me. Vanguard and Schwab seem easy, Fidelity website is confusing. My money seems in jail.

I have found that if I had a "good until cancel" buy order in the system, that some of the money in the sweep account is set aside to cover the not yet pending buy order and that reduces the money available for a another buy order, regardless of what is shown in my sweep account balance. Check if you have any other buy orders in the system.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:36 AM   #17

Fidelity has been easy for a beginner like me to buy CDs and Treasuries.
My guess would be the OP is trying to use money already reserved for a pending settlement but why not just call Fidelity and they will be happy to check it out for you.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:00 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I stuck with Fidelity all these years because I have found their website so straightforward and comprehensive that I very rarely need to call.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:01 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Fidelity has been easy for a beginner like me to buy CDs and Treasuries.
My guess would be the OP is trying to use money already reserved for a pending settlement but why not just call Fidelity and they will be happy to check it out for you.
That was my guess too. +1 on just call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
I have found that if I had a "good until cancel" buy order in the system, that some of the money in the sweep account is set aside to cover the not yet pending buy order and that reduces the money available for a another buy order, regardless of what is shown in my sweep account balance. Check if you have any other buy orders in the system.
Yep.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
That is probably interest, dividends, capital gains distributions, etc.