Join Early Retirement Today

Why does this name sound familiar? Rob B.?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why does this name sound familiar? Rob B.?

Opened MSN this morning to find the story of a Mr. Bennett, who I thought was a pariah on a number of boards. I guess you can't argue with success, success being defined as retiring by 50 and surviving. Somehow the LEGO story sounded familiar....

Retired by 50: Earning independence - MSN Money
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Opened MSN this morning to find the story of a Mr. Bennett, who I thought was a pariah on a number of boards. I guess you can't argue with success, success being defined as retiring by 50 and surviving. Somehow the LEGO story sounded familiar....
Ms. Weston is taking a lot of heat from discussion boards and readers. They claim that she didn't do the research that would've been merited by five minutes on Google or a page-flip of Bennett's "book". Or asking about his 100% fixed-income asset allocation. Or his attempt to crash a Vanguard Diehards reunion to interrogate Bogle about his bad investment advice. Or Bennett's death threats to various people like Dory.

Geez, even asking Bennett a simple question should've been a warning to her...

It'll be interesting to see if she has the guts to do a follow-up.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ms. Weston is taking a lot of heat from discussion boards and readers. They claim that she didn't do the research that would've been merited by five minutes on Google or a page-flip of Bennett's "book". Or asking about his 100% fixed-income asset allocation. Or his attempt to crash a Vanguard Diehards reunion to interrogate Bogle about his bad investment advice. Or Bennett's death threats to various people like Dory.

Link to discussion board please?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

This isn't the first article in which she has featured Rob Bennett. She links to another one that she wrote called, "To Cut Costs, Move to Small Town USA", in which Bennett's life is featured. Guess she doesn't get it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Guess she doesn't get it.
If it is generating traffic to MSN Money, she 'gets it'.

I don't even thumb through the financial magazines when I get stuck in a waiting room anymore. Just hash-re-hash the the same old stuff or just plain meaningless drivel.

I guess 'real' information is not very marketable.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If it is generating traffic to MSN Money, she 'gets it'.

I don't even thumb through the financial magazines when I get stuck in a waiting room anymore. Just hash-re-hash the the same old stuff or just plain meaningless drivel.

I guess 'real' information is not very marketable.

-ERD50
Pretty much...look at Yahoo finance as a good example....UM's idea of just not reading any books, is probably the best financial guidance that I have ever have read
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #7

Huh huh huh... Rob uses a mac... Figures.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #8

ooo.. a low blow indeed, justin.

Um.. and OJ Simpson and Kim Jong Il use Windows...

(?)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

uh oh - mac/windows, ford/chevy, index/active, early SS/not, mortgage/not - the beat goes on.

I still think Greaney is performing a noble service - the isolation ward of the internet.

Of course in the old days - even the Indians got off the reservation once in a while and raised some hell.

heh heh heh heh - what we have here is a failure to understand! That is TWD(terminal wealth dispersion) and thus my name may turn up 'Mudd' on a certain forum. But I say show me your kurtoskewness! Make me a believer. Meanwhile ala Gummy - I'm doing a modified 5% variable. Party on!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Huh huh huh... Rob uses a mac... Figures.
probably was just for the picture.

Judging by commercials and TV and movies, you'd think Apple had 95% of the market. And that everybody was young and attractive.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #11

... and your point is?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

UncleMick- What's wrong with having the name "Mudd"?

Mudd
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #13

Is this the Rob Bennett of the "Passion Savings"?

-----
[urgh. I was going to post a comment about a new arrival on the board, but heretofore refrained]

Quote:
I'm passionate about getting people ahead in life..
Quote:
..talking to families about money is an absolute passion.
Ya know, I never understood people who talk like this, in ANY line of business.

To my mind, if you have to blab about what your "passion" is (whether it's selling financial advice/products or selling cars or coming up with a new fabric softener) that's a red light right there that says "insincere".

Passionate people communicate their passion intrinsically, without powerpointing it out.

--
Is it this Robert Bennett, Senator?:

who looks almost separated at birth from this, other Senator:
Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Dr Samuel Mudd - sentenced to life in the post Lincoln assassination trial - pardoned by Andrew Johnson. He did good deeds in prison.

'My name is Mudd.' illustrates the long legs some slang phrases have.

I grew up with that one.

Perhaps not as difficult as a 'Boy named Sue.' But none the less

heh heh heh - I had a distant relative from Michigan named William Hendrickson who changed his name to Cambell in the Marines cause they kept calling him Ollie Olson from Minn - e - sota. Never did understand that one. Mr Mudd's descendants engaged in a long campaign to clear his name - not totally successfully.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Rob is clearly an attention whore. Still, I think it is kind of funny that the guy who is the butt of so many retirement board regulars is getting to be a celebrity in that world.

I wouln't be surprised if someof his many vocal detractors are a bit jealous this morning.

Ha
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I wouln't be surprised if someof his many vocal detractors are a bit jealous this morning.

Ha
Absolutely - I'm 'green' with envy.

Just you wait - once I get the math and illustrations done to clearly communicate my 'Unified theory of Chickenheartedness' - the world will take notice.

Better than the Big Bang and - AND! I don't need no stinking Dark Matter neither!

heh heh heh - so there! Just you wait! You'll see!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #17

Well one thing we can all agree on ... Legos are expensive. Spent $200 on a Lego robot kit (NXT) for my sons BDay. No end in sight.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

If television wants RB, they can have him. Kyosaki is another one. Whatever keeps them away from my reading is fine by me. Is TV going the talk radio path of controversy is better than information?
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quoting h*cus as an example of prudent early retirement is like citing Wikipedia in a doctoral dissertation.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Back off Ziggy- I have wasted plenty a good long hour "researching" on Wikipedia!

Mudd
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote