Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
India is in Asia? who knew...I thought that cultures......kinda like the difference between Norway and Sweeden Good luck with either getting behind the other's candidate...
OMG, that is an inside observation!

Bestefar ut fra Telemark
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
i need to get out more often.

enuff
Does this mean you are announcing your candidacy?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

If my dad was born here and at another time in history, I bet he would have ran for presidency. Of course I never appreciated it, but he was great with politics... and he raised me, one with no interest (although he did instill in me to vote). He was a self-proclaimed "political commentator" and said so in English to me! He could analyze things of the world and make predictions way before the rest of the world... or at least the media. He knew about the political goings-on in other countries. He wrote an essay back in the day predicting that MLK Jr would be assasinated for being outspoken (well, other reasons too at the time, I'm sure), he told me that the war in Iraq was wrong (way before most said so), etc. Alas, he was born in China and died last year at 93.

To really answer the question... I don't know... waiting for Barack is possibly one of them... I know as a minority woman, I do tend to see if other people can do something before I'm willing to try (this was much more the issue when I was younger like when I was going to be the next Connie Chung when I grew up, yet there were no other Asian women newscasters on TV), but I think lack of mentorship (umm, how exactly can I become president... since I happen to qualify by birthright and age), lack of money (no way I could raise more than the $3,000 I did to walk in a marathon, for example, so millions is WAY above me); lack of network (you have to know people, don't you?), lack of experience (not running for the smaller positions, not getting elected to the smaller positions, etc.), and some others as well that would take too long to get into because they are generalizations, and I don't want to start problems.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

well spoken Retireby50, again i apologize for using the immature tone on the topic. however, i do think about it alot and i do agree with you that lack of networking, lack of mentoring and "don't want to start problems" are very common traits for asian. Asian tends to hang out with similar group and as i said earlier "i do need to get out more often" meaning going out of my comfort zone of hanging out with family and other asian. Even in the office, i noticed that many asian have great ideas, work very hard but seldomly spoke up and/or willing to take leading role.

some asian are doing well financially but it certain take more than money to run for political office.

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why do so few Asian Americans run for office?
I am sure there are many reasons. The main reason, I think, is differences in cultural values. Most Asians immigrated here in search of a better life. They put a lot of emphasis on integrity, honesty, humility, diligence and character. These beliefs may run counter to those required to be a successful politician. Because of their heavy influence on their children, many Asians prefer to seek occupation in science, engineering, medicine, and entrepreneurship. However, the trend is changing as younger Asians become more indoctrinated into the American culture as they recognize the rewards of being CEOs, celebrities, lawyers and high-power politicians.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
however, i do think about it alot and i do agree with you that lack of networking, lack of mentoring and "don't want to start problems" are very common traits for asian. Asian tends to hang out with similar group and as i said earlier "i do need to get out more often" meaning going out of my comfort zone of hanging out with family and other asian.
Enuff, this reminded me of a male Asian friend of my oldest daughter. They attended high school together and were casual acquaintances, but ran in different circles. Both graduated near the top of their class. Two years after graduating, they ended up at the same college. He didn't have a car and would catch a ride home with her some weekends.

Spending hours in the car together they got to know each other pretty well. He confessed to her that his greatest fear in life, both when he was in high school and now in college, was that he would turn out to be "the dumbest Asian in his class". That's some real pressure.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
They put a lot of emphasis on integrity, honesty, humility, diligence and character. These beliefs may run counter to those required to be a successful politician.
Subtle understatement is a true art form...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
He confessed to her that his greatest fear in life, both when he was in high school and now in college, was that he would turn out to be "the dumbest Asian in his class". That's some real pressure.
That's true that Asian parents pressure their kids to excel in education. My daughter is a straight A student. We are proud of her academic achievement but continuously encourage her to participate in activities of leadership, to network more, to improve on communication and influence management skills, and so on.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Spending hours in the car together they got to know each other pretty well. He confessed to her that his greatest fear in life, both when he was in high school and now in college, was that he would turn out to be "the dumbest Asian in his class". That's some real pressure.
I suppose one can err in either direction, but where I grew up/went to school, only a minority felt this kind of pressure. Many had the opposite idea, that you were some kind of wuss if you were smart or studious...

Take a drive through that town, and see the results...

"I was the smartest PWT in my class..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #30

The Valedictorian in my H.S. class was 2nd gen. from China...She ended up going to Harvard...I dont think she ever considered running for student office...The ones in those positions were the stuck up cheerleader-types...enough said?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #31

Quote:
That's true that Asian parents pressure their kids to excel in education. My daughter is a straight A student. We are proud of her academic achievement but continuously encourage her to participate in activities of leadership, to network more, to improve on communication and influence management skills, and so on.
Spanky: I don't post much any longer, but I do read the board from time to time. (Enough to know that you are a very good father, and want what's best for your children).

But a couple of points. Remember you don't own your children. (More like a lease).

It has taken a while for me, but I've figured out that one of the easiest ways to drive a wedge between your relationship with your adult children is to show disapproval that they didn't follow your advice for the way to live their life.

Your daughter is a straight A student. She will make her own way in life, in the way that is best for her.

Trust me, this will remove a lot of tension in the future when you have the occasion to get together.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Why do so few Asian Americans run for office?
I am sure there are many reasons. The main reason, I think, is differences in cultural values. Most Asians immigrated here in search of a better life. They put a lot of emphasis on integrity, honesty, humility, diligence and character. These beliefs may run counter to those required to be a successful politician. Because of their heavy influence on their children, many Asians prefer to seek occupation in science, engineering, medicine, and entrepreneurship. However, the trend is changing as younger Asians become more indoctrinated into the American culture as they recognize the rewards of being CEOs, celebrities, lawyers and high-power politicians.
I agree, seeing how most politicians carry/conduct themselves and how much "acting" they have to put up to get elected, I wouldn't want my kids grow up as one. You wouldn't want your kids to go grow up to be a used-car-sales man(or woman) right? then why politician?
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
You wouldn't want your kids to go grow up to be a used-car-sales man(or woman) right? then why politician?
To get you a pardon from prison?

Ha
Old 03-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
well spoken Retireby50, again i apologize for using the immature tone on the topic. Asian tends to hang out with similar group and as i said earlier "i do need to get out more often" meaning going out of my comfort zone of hanging out with family and other asian.
I wasn't at all offended by anything you posted, by the way. You mentioned many of the generalizations that I didn't put down last night (I was getting sleepy, so it's hard for me to ensure I'm saying things correctly), but yes, the traits you mentioned would certainly be some of things I was thinking. You sort of just know that you weren't supposed to bring the limelight to you or your family. Stay under the radar. Umm, can't get elected like that! There's also fear. I can imagine my mom saying, "No, don't do it. Someone might try to kill you."

I totally understand the part about "getting out more" as well. All my childhood best friends are Chinese... it just ended up that way because we have a large Chinese population. I was filling out a survey several years ago, and it asked, "when was the last time someone of a different race came over to your house as an invited guest?" I guess that meant not the salesperson. That question stopped me in my tracks. Looking back then, it was probably been at least 3-4 years!

ne of my hobbies is scrapbooking which I started about 10 years ago. I would go to a "scrapbooking convention" and notice that I was possibly one of several Chinese/Asians in the whole place of thousands of women... the convention was only 50 miles away, but at the time it wasn't a hobby that Asians got into. It's much different now, but that's 10 years later. So when magazines had scrapbooking page contest, of course I never saw any Asian names. Now there are more. Sort of a small version compared to politics perhaps? Scrapbooking has given me a venue to know people of other races better (and again, not purposely seeking out people of other race but a by product of getting together to enjoy the hobby and other people's company). For example, my scrapbooking buddies happens to consist of a Caucasian (is that PC?!), a Filipino, and a Hispanic, and we get together once a month!

Anyway, I think this is way off topic, so I'll stop now and move onto more FIRE topics.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
I agree, seeing how most politicians carry/conduct themselves and how much "acting" they have to put up to get elected, I wouldn't want my kids grow up as one. You wouldn't want your kids to go grow up to be a used-car-sales man(or woman) right? then why politician?

hey hey hey mr ER_Hopeful. You leave my profession out of it. Are you telling me a new-car-sales man is a better person than a used-car-sales man??

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
hey hey hey mr ER_Hopeful. You leave my profession out of it. Are you telling me a new-car-sales man is a better person than a used-car-sales man??

enuff
oops, my apology, guess I should take greater care when expressing certain views on a open forum. Now I understand the meaning of "subtle understatement is a true art form"
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
Spanky: I don't post much any longer, but I do read the board from time to time. (Enough to know that you are a very good father, and want what's best for your children).

But a couple of points. Remember you don't own your children. (More like a lease).

It has taken a while for me, but I've figured out that one of the easiest ways to drive a wedge between your relationship with your adult children is to show disapproval that they didn't follow your advice for the way to live their life.

Your daughter is a straight A student. She will make her own way in life, in the way that is best for her.

Trust me, this will remove a lot of tension in the future when you have the occasion to get together.
Thank you for the complement. We are in agreement that we do not own our children. Our role is to to provide financial and emotional support and guidance if needed. We can only advise, and hopefully they will listen and make the 'right' decisions on their own. My philosophy is that they should always think for themselves.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Two forms of public transit failed this morning but the second one dumped me within a twenty minute walk of work. (How timely since the powers-that-be are debating raising monthly transit passes by a full 1/3). So I took a very pleasant walk through Chinatown and noticed a plaque on a grade school indicating that the name of the school had changed five times; it is now called "Gordon Lau Elementary." I remember Lau very well, in fact I still have one of his big bright yellow campaign buttons; he ran for supervisor in my district in the ‘70s. It probably was just a coincidence but I remember that just after he was elected the bus service improved mightily, from sardine-city to an express bus a block from my house where people lined up for the best seats instead of the last inch of space up by the driver. Currently this city has Asians in all areas of public service; there are always Asian names on the ballots.

But, Enuff2eat, you are so right to bring up the subject; the area I live in has a shameful history of prejudice and oppression against Asians; in fact a major street in Chinatown is named after the politician who wrote the Chinese Exclusion Act. We’re coming up on the 102nd anniversary of the ‘06 quake and fire. Over the years I’ve gone to some of the 5 a.m. commemorations; it was always a dwindling number of survivors (all white) dressed to the nines honored for their memories, ready to sing "San Francisco, open your Golden Gate..." once again. The last time I went (probably 1994) I walked through Chinatown and realized that there are probably many many Chinese survivors around but I never heard them interviewed.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote