why is it the Asian boys never run for Political Office??

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was once asked about why Asian doesn't run for office eventhough Asian is sterotype into "hardwork" catagory. Some seem to be successful in their profession doctors, engineers, computers, business owners, professors...

my answer: waiting for hillary and/or obama first...

your comments please.

enuff

I find the original post to be a little weird and offensive - "Asian boys?" :confused:?

What kind of response are you expecting to such a [-]troll[/-]message?

to be elected president you have to have charisma, at least more than the other guy running. no one really cares about the issues, it's about the person and how you present yourself.

there is a reason Reagan, Clinton and both Bush's won

Reagan beat sweater boy and mondale
Clinton had charisma and reminded me of a used car salesman, but much better than the stuck up eastern old money that bush portrayed
bush 1 easily beat the gnome
bush 2 beat al bore and lurch

and i predict Obama is going to beat Hillary and McCain. the former is like al bore and like to lecture people and everyone knows she is full of 5h1t when she speaks. the latter looks and talks like he is constantly chewing skoal

I was once asked about why Asian doesn't run for office eventhough Asian is sterotype into "hardwork" catagory. Some seem to be successful in their profession doctors, engineers, computers, business owners, professors...

my answer: waiting for hillary and/or obama first...

your comments please.

enuff

Gary Locke (politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wilma Chan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hiram Fong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Edmund C. Moy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shien Biau Woo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Judy Chu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Matt Fong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bobby Jindal, governor of Louisiana: watch this name for the next few years.

PS: I see by a search on your name that you are Asian--I hope the answers in this thread give you some answers to the people who are asking you why Asians don't run for office, because they do.

Last edited:
I find the original post to be a little weird and offensive - "Asian boys?" :confused:?

What kind of response are you expecting to such a [-]troll[/-]message?

I thought Enuff2Eat was Asian or Asian-American himself??

In answer to his question, lots of Asians run for office and lots win. I was represented for some time by Daniel Inoue, Hawaii's Senator for many years and a Japanese-American war hero. The governor of my present state (Bobby Jindal) is American born, and of Indian ancestry. Last I heard, India was located in Asia. He also represented me as the U.S. Congressman for my district prior to becoming Govenor. There are many, many other successful candidates for office who are of Asian ancestry. As in, get real!!

I thought Enuff2Eat was Asian or Asian-American himself??
In answer to his question, lots of Asians run for office and lots win. I was represented for some time by Daniel Inoue, Hawaii's Senator for many years and a Japanese-American war hero.
There are many, many other successful candidates for office who are of Asian ancestry. As in, get real!!
Asians seem to have plenty of political offices-- in Asia. Women as well as men.

Oh, maybe you mean America. Well, maybe Asians don't run for political office in America because they're not citizens.

Oh, maybe you mean Asian-Americans. Maybe they don't run for political office because they're too smart to get suckered into that ego trap. Maybe they'd rather earn their own money, spend quality time with family, have a life, and retire early. Sshhhh... don't give away the secret.

Or maybe they're still dealing with generations of racial discrimination. Hawaii's Democratic party pretty much swept to office on that platform in the 1950s and has held it ever since. Inouye's one of the most senior members of the Senate and shows no sign of giving it up. He probably thinks of Warren Buffett as a wet-behind-the-ears kid.

Let me add other trailblazers like Dan Akaka (Hawaii's other senator) and recently deceased Patsy Mink -- one of the authors of Title IX legislation. Maizie Hirono is ever-present politically even though she can't seem to make up her mind on which elected office.

Gosh, are we going to have to explore this explosively offensive question for other genders, skin colors, races, religions, ages, marital status, education levels, hairstyles, sexual preferences, and organ sizes?

And to think that there's still eight months to go...

[...] and organ sizes?

Oh please do! I'd love to hear about THAT one. [-]I heard a rumor that Monica Lewinsky said Clinton's was the size of ... Oh, never mind. (blush!)[/-]

Oops! Thought this one was in the "Other Topics" section.

ask for forgiveness

i am sorry if i offended anyone. the tone of the question is unaccepatable and demeaning. won't do that again.

yes, i am asian and proud of it. and there some asian ran for office and won. i need to get out more often.

enuff

Gosh, are we going to have to explore this explosively offensive question for other genders, skin colors, races, religions, ages, marital status, education levels, hairstyles, sexual preferences, and organ sizes?

And to think that there's still eight months to go...

Well, we certainly don't have to explore race and gender factors in politics here Nords, but I'm betting that with Hillary and Barack running for the presidential nomination of their party, the impact of race and gender on political aspirations will be getting lots and lots of press for a while.......

I agree with you, it's offensive to discuss and all political candidates should be considered only for their personal characteristics that pertain to the job. No debits or credits for race, gender, or the rest of your above list.

Yep, it's going to be a long eight months! :p

i am sorry if i offended anyone. the tone of the question is unaccepatable and demeaning. won't do that again.

yes, i am asian and proud of it. and there some asian ran for office and won. i need to get out more often.

Thank you, Enuff.

Apology accepted - your intentions were obviously not the way I interpreted the post. You may be aware of the negative connotations of the term "boy" in our troubled American past (and present).

Anyhow, I know now that you meant no offense.

India is in Asia? who knew...I thought that cultures in Asia were different across different countries and even in some countries and those folks didnt like to be called "asians"....kinda like the difference between Norway and Sweeden ;) Good luck with either getting behind the other's candidate...

In addition, to large number of Asian politician in Hawaii (easily more than 1/2).

California also has a significant percentage (don't know exact numbers) at both the state and Congressional level.

Before Norm Mineta left in 2006 (after seving as Cabinet secretary under both Clinton and Bush 43), there were two Asian Americans in the cabinet Elaine Chao labor secretary. For those of you into quotas this would make Asian -Americans slighty overrepresented in the cabinet.

I would have to guess you don't "perceive" there are very many Asian-Americans in politics is because Asian-Americans comprise a very small percentage of the US population.

I really would be hesitant to assume they are under-or over represented as I don't know the data.

I do have a perception that African-Americans may be slightly overrepresented in politics, but again I don't know the data - could just be an impression I have gotten from the media.

One might have thought that OP had a pass, since he is himself a member of the group. But I guess he forgot that he only grown up organism left on earth who can be called a boy is a white man. He he can be called "boy" by anyone, not just members of his own group.

Aren't PC rules entertaining? :)

Ha

I am at the age, that being a called boy would be a complaint, sort of like being carded.. (Has not happened in a decade :( )

India is in Asia? who knew...I thought that cultures......kinda like the difference between Norway and Sweeden ;) Good luck with either getting behind the other's candidate...

OMG, that is an inside observation!

Bestefar ut fra Telemark :)

Last edited:
If my dad was born here and at another time in history, I bet he would have ran for presidency. :) Of course I never appreciated it, but he was great with politics... and he raised me, one with no interest (although he did instill in me to vote). He was a self-proclaimed "political commentator" and said so in English to me! He could analyze things of the world and make predictions way before the rest of the world... or at least the media. He knew about the political goings-on in other countries. He wrote an essay back in the day predicting that MLK Jr would be assasinated for being outspoken (well, other reasons too at the time, I'm sure), he told me that the war in Iraq was wrong (way before most said so), etc. Alas, he was born in China and died last year at 93.

To really answer the question... I don't know... waiting for Barack is possibly one of them... I know as a minority woman, I do tend to see if other people can do something before I'm willing to try (this was much more the issue when I was younger like when I was going to be the next Connie Chung when I grew up, yet there were no other Asian women newscasters on TV), but I think lack of mentorship (umm, how exactly can I become president... since I happen to qualify by birthright and age), lack of money (no way I could raise more than the $3,000 I did to walk in a marathon, for example, so millions is WAY above me); lack of network (you have to know people, don't you?), lack of experience (not running for the smaller positions, not getting elected to the smaller positions, etc.), and some others as well that would take too long to get into because they are generalizations, and I don't want to start problems. :angel:

well spoken Retireby50, again i apologize for using the immature tone on the topic. however, i do think about it alot and i do agree with you that lack of networking, lack of mentoring and "don't want to start problems" are very common traits for asian. Asian tends to hang out with similar group and as i said earlier "i do need to get out more often" meaning going out of my comfort zone of hanging out with family and other asian. Even in the office, i noticed that many asian have great ideas, work very hard but seldomly spoke up and/or willing to take leading role.

some asian are doing well financially but it certain take more than money to run for political office.

enuff

Why do so few Asian Americans run for office?
I am sure there are many reasons. The main reason, I think, is differences in cultural values. Most Asians immigrated here in search of a better life. They put a lot of emphasis on integrity, honesty, humility, diligence and character. These beliefs may run counter to those required to be a successful politician. Because of their heavy influence on their children, many Asians prefer to seek occupation in science, engineering, medicine, and entrepreneurship. However, the trend is changing as younger Asians become more indoctrinated into the American culture as they recognize the rewards of being CEOs, celebrities, lawyers and high-power politicians.

Back
Top Bottom