Join Early Retirement Today

Why is Starbucks so popular?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why is Starbucks so popular?

I just don't understand why Starbucks is so popular. Granted, I do not drink coffee, but I know so many people who love that place. Any ideas? Don't people realize how much money they could save in a year if they just made their coffee at home?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Don't quote me but a couple of years ago there was an article about how they come into a good location and gradually increase the caffeine content, hooking people who are already addicted to coffee.

Personally I like their stores but usually go to Peet's instead.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Confuses the heck out of me! I just don't get it.

Not only is Starbucks coffee/espresso waaaaaay too expensive, it is also BAD. They also way overheat the milk, giving it that yucky carmelized taste. To me their lattes always taste like warm (overheated) milk with just the barest hint of coffee flavor. Even if I ask for an extra shot or two! I suspect the usually let the espresso extract too quickly - a common problem when people don't know what they are doing.

My husband is quite the barrista, and we used to have a commercial grade plumbed in espresso machine back when we lived in a house. He made the best coffee I ever had in my life, and for a year or two I roasted the coffee beans myself. Fantastic, fantastically delicious coffee from our own roasting. One major thing I had to give up to move into a motorhome.

A lot of places overheat the milk and this problem seems to be getting more common. We've started to tell people to stop steaming the milk at 130 degrees or even less.

Back to Starbucks - I can only assume it's the ambience/culture that attracts the customers.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
...I can only assume it's the ambience/culture that attracts the customers.Audrey

Or herd mentality
Old 10-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think it's seen as a "hangout" more than anything -- a place where people get together, sit around and chat, have a beverage or two and surf around on their wifi.

I know there have been times when we've gone there after a social event, and it wasn't for the coffee, but rather a place to leisurely hang out, where "loitering" long after finishing what you paid for is accepted if not encouraged.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #6

Good locations on prime corners at busy intersections. Or high pedestrian traffic. Coffee shops get a lot of customers from pass-by traffic.

They are also ubiquitous. Those familiar with them can enjoy the same consistent quality, pricing structure, amenities and lingo the world over. Like McDonald's.

I recently went to a Starbucks for the first time a few months ago. I live a block up from it, and had never visited. Coffee was a little over roasted and tasted very strong. Otherwise no complaints. Not sure what it cost as it was expensed. Probably under $2 for a big cup.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I know there have been times when we've gone there after a social event, and it wasn't for the coffee, but rather a place to leisurely hang out, where "loitering" long after finishing what you paid for is accepted if not encouraged.
Sounds like Hemingway's idea of "a clean well-lighted place...." Sometimes we go to Starbuck's because it's the only coffee shop open until 10:00 p.m. Yum!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I just don't understand why Starbucks is so popular. Granted, I do not drink coffee
There could just be a link there.........
Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Good locations on prime corners at busy intersections. Or high pedestrian traffic. Coffee shops get a lot of customers from pass-by traffic.

They are also ubiquitous. Those familiar with them can enjoy the same consistent quality, pricing structure, amenities and lingo the world over. Like McDonald's.

I recently went to a Starbucks for the first time a few months ago. I live a block up from it, and had never visited. Coffee was a little over roasted and tasted very strong. Otherwise no complaints. Not sure what it cost as it was expensed. Probably under $2 for a big cup.
Ding! Exactly what I was going to say. You want a non-fat mocha latte no foam? You know exactly what you are going to get. Everybody knows a local place that is better, but when you are away from home, this is a known quantity.

Personally, I think their coffee sucks, and what's more, more than once I've gone in to get a cup of coffee and they've said, "oh, we don't have any right now, would you like an Americana instead?" - what's that second word under "Starbucks" on your sign again?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I go with the "hangout" theory - a place you can sit without hassle, read, browse the web, take a break. I rarely do that personally, but when I go in to grab a cup of coffee I always see people just hanging around

The music alone usually drives me off pretty quickly.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Granted, I do not drink coffee...
Blasphemer!!

Some believe the over-roasting is a way to make "inferior" coffee have more "flavor". I happen to light the slightly burned taste...

For everyday use, Kirkland's or "Great Value"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Drinking cheap homemade coffee as I write this, but I love Starbucks. I heard someone describe their marketing as creating a ten-minute vacation in your day. Yes it's overpriced comparatively but on the other hand it is an affordable luxury--most people can afford it, whether or not they choose to.

But I think the real reason that it's popular with the young folks is that coffee itself has no calories--a skim latte is a cheap indulgence both cost and calorie wise.

And they are supposedly great part-time employers with bennies. And they gave my developmentally disabled friend a job, too.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #13

i've been in a starbucks two maybe three times. doesn't do a thing for me.

when i was in washington dc last month i toured the dupont circle area by bicycle. trying to not lose my way i spotted a starbucks on a corner and made mental note of the landmark. but then i biked about a block or two and--freak me out--there it was again (boy, dupont circle really is a circle). for a second i thought i was hallucinating. so i turned around and looked down the street and sure enough i could see one of their locations from the other one. this sounds so absurd to me today that i'm not even sure if my memory is correct. nah, couldn't be. i must be mistaken. nothing could be that insane.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #14

No idea. Maybe to make yourself sound smarter by ordering a "Grande Misto dark roast w/ no foam", etc.

My DS hangs out there but she doesn't drink the "poor man's" regular coffee. Nooooooooo, she has to get what I call the "foo-foo" coffee - the mochacinno's and frappucino's at $4 to $5 a pop .

Personally, I'm addicated to Tim Horton's coffee. And at $1.75 for an extra-large, I don't feel too bad. I find Starbucks too bitter.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
when i was in washington dc last month i toured the dupont circle area by bicycle. trying to not lose my way i spotted a starbucks on a corner and made mental note of the landmark. but then i biked about a block or two and--freak me out--there it was again. for a second i thought i was hallucinating. so i turned around and looked down the street and sure enough i could see one of their locations from the other one. this sounds so absurd to me today that i'm not even sure if my memory is correct. nah, couldn't be. i must be mistaken. nothing could be that insane.
Starbucks Coffee, Vancouver Locations & Pictures, Robson Street, BC Ferries

Vancouver, BC
The City of Vancouver has the biggest concentrations of Starbucks outlets in BC with 88 stores. The majority of these happen to be located in the downtown core and in the neighbourhoods of Kerrisdale, Kitsilano and the West End. Robson Street alone has six outlets.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I've heard they're going to put a Starbucks "in a Starbucks"...

Jerry Seinfeld

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #17

I love it! I go to Starbucks a minimum of once a day 6 days a week.

First, it's not that expensive. A large "Venti" coffee costs me $2.05. This is $.25 LESS than they charge for a large coffee and Dunkin Donuts near my office. In addition, it's a nice place to sit, do some work, or meet people.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #18

I have no special affection for Starbucks, but there is one that happens to be a block from my work, and it's a nice excuse to wander out in the middle of the morning. Also a good place for a casual meeting, sometimes even work-related.

I do think when I am in a coffee shop with my laptop, I am far more efficient than at my office. For that reason alone, when I need to really concentrate and write, I sometimes go to a coffee shop. (Ideally without WiFi, because it can be very distractive)
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think it's seen as a "hangout" more than anything -- a place where people get together, sit around and chat, have a beverage or two and surf around on their wifi.

It's definitely a "hangout" in my opinion that provides weak but tasty beverages. I'm not a coffee drinker except for the few times a year my one girlfriend and I meet there for a few hours to catch up. It's a pleasant atmosphere that smells pretty good, and they don't mind if you sit there for hours.

But it still costs too much.
Miss_Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Starbucks is no dummy financially--it acquired Seattle's Best, which offers coffee that costs a little less, which is now available in Borders Bookstores.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote