Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why is VG Prime Money Market expense ratio so "high?"
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why is VG Prime Money Market expense ratio so "high?"

It's bad enough that yields are 0.02%, but I hadn't noticed until I did my annual detailed spreadsheet update that the VMMXX ER is 0.16%! So Vanguard is eating up 89% of the "fund" return with expenses! Ouch!

Don't get me wrong, I remain a Vanguard devotee but...most if not all my index fund ER's are less (my portfolio ER is 0.13%), why on earth would a money market fund have higher ER's?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't what the yield before expenses is, but most MM funds have absorbing a lot of the expenses. I assume they have some fixed overhead cost, maybe the check writing feature is a big cost.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I don't what the yield before expenses is...
Neither do I, but doesn't it have to be at least 0.18% if yield is 0.02% and ER is 0.16%?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Neither do I, but doesn't it have to be at least 0.18% if yield is 0.02% and ER is 0.16%?
Should, but I was thinking if they are absorbing some of the expense, don't know the ER reported is before or after the absorption. At one time it was thought some MM funds might actually start charging a fee to hold your cash.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's bad enough that yields are 0.02%, but I hadn't noticed until I did my annual detailed spreadsheet update that the VMMXX ER is 0.16%! So Vanguard is eating up 89% of the "fund" return with expenses! Ouch!

Don't get me wrong, I remain a Vanguard devotee but...most if not all my index fund ER's are less (my portfolio ER is 0.13%), why on earth would a money market fund have higher ER's?
That yield should be after ER.

Yep, before long, MM funds may be charging us to hold our cash - or else we have to be willing to live with a "float" - i.e. a share value that occasionally drops below $1.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

correct, yields are after expenses
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Yep, before long, MM funds may be charging us to hold our cash - or else we have to be willing to live with a "float" - i.e. a share value that occasionally drops below $1.
+1

These days I only use my VG MM account as a sweep account into which the dividends go, and I immediately move them to my bank savings account, making a massive 0.8%.

Consequently the MM account is never more than $100 most of the year, and if the yield was before expenses then that sum would go down a few pennies a month instead of going up a few pennies.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
correct, yields are after expenses
I thought my second sentence in #1 and post #3 acknowledged that. The question was why would MMF ER's be higher than almost all my index fund ER's? Seems counterintuitive to me...but I learn something every day.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
T
I understand the rationale for proposed new rules that would require MM funds to float, but as a practical matter I hope it can be avoided (through company efforts, pooled insurance, etc). The big advantage of these sweep funds, for me, is to avoid the paperwork and fuss of share price fluctuations/cap gains considerations.

These MM funds are presently not making the fund companies any money, and their operation is probably being subsidized from elsewhere in the company. I don't mind paying the ER, there's a lot more going on than meets the eye in the present environment.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #10

I bet the MM funds have a super high turnover, since they deal only in the shortest duration debt. Then add to that the number of investor transactions they have to deal with as a quick place to transfer money in and out of. That seems much more active than a simple buy and hold index.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
These days I only use my VG MM account as a sweep account into which the dividends go, and I immediately move them to my bank savings account, making a massive 0.8%.
NFCU's money market savings account offers interest rates of 0.40-0.55% and PenFed is 0.10-0.25%.

I don't know why Fidelity & Vanguard even bother.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #12

Of course Vanguard could do like Wells Fargo and provide a bank account that could be swept to (at all of .05% pa). But then Vanguard would aquire a new regulator if it owned the bank.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Ally Bank's MM rate is .95% APY. Write up to 6 checks per month, no monthly fees, and an ATM card (no Ally ATM fees) that can be used to access the dough as often as you want.

Heck, that's better than the national average 3 yr CD rate (.55%) according to Bankrate.com.

But, for someone counting on the internal strength of the company's resources to prevent their MM fund from "breaking the buck" in a crisis, maybe Ally Bank's not the best choice.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Ally Bank's MM rate is .95% APY.
In fact, their online savings account is also at 0.95%. It's a good deal.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote