Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It can be something new and untreatable like AIDS or it could be common and simple and just spread faster than it can be contained. In these cases having better medicine might help those with resources.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Could be. I don't think it would be like the plague, though, which was bacterial. Anything that comes along and wipes out a large percentage of the world population will likely be viral in the age of antibiotics.
Probably viral, not requiring an insect vector, present in a difficult to treat/eradicate animal population (reservoir of disease), easily communicable, high mortality after a fairly lengthy communicable period. Bird flu meets all these factors except the easy communicability criteria, and there's every reason to believe it will acquire this trait with enough time.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, if the natural resources of the earth + ingeniuty of its inhabitants can support 10 billion people - problem solved!

If it can't - problem also solved. Mr Darwin's theories will be amply demonstrated. If creationists have something on this that will be demonstrated too...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Biologically, humanity is overdue for an epidemic. Those impacted the greatest will be in the world's slums and just like the Black Plague the well to do will not be spared. I don't think medical science can react fast enough to prevent the contagion once it is under way. It might be the Bird Flu, and if it is the current form of the virus will reduce the World's population by at least 50% (my opinion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Probably viral, not requiring an insect vector, present in a difficult to treat/eradicate animal population (reservoir of disease), easily communicable, high mortality after a fairly lengthy communicable period. Bird flu meets all these factors except the easy communicability criteria, and there's every reason to believe it will acquire this trait with enough time.
Spouse spent most of a year in one of her Reserve billets going to FEMA, state Civil Defense, & military conferences on dealing with pandemic influenza.

Technically H5N1 has already acquired the ability to go from birds to humans, and it's just a matter of time for human-->human transmission.

The book "The Great Influenza" describes many instances where civil & military authorities kept bringing people together. WWI troop movements, city parades and public events, and other quarantine failures allowed plenty of opportunity for the virus to spread.

That lesson has supposedly been learned. Under current emergency planning, the first H5N1 outbreak on American soil will bring national movement pretty much to a halt for two-three weeks while people hunker home with hand sanitizers and facemasks. (The Dow would easily reach 5000-- but the stock markets would be closed.) Hospitals & EMTs would try to treat as many symptoms as they could but unless an effective antiviral vaccine is discovered then 20-somethings are going to have to hope that their immune systems don't get exposed.

As for other epidemics-- look what AIDS is doing to African societies.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

SamClem and I are of the same mind.

I am in no way a biologist but from what I have read mortality decreases or is delayed once a disease becomes easily communicable. AIDS, for example, has a delayed onset probably as a defense mechanism of the virus.... if humans died quickly it would be less communicable.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That lesson has supposedly been learned. Under current emergency planning, the first H5N1 outbreak on American soil will bring national movement pretty much to a halt for two-three weeks while people hunker home with hand sanitizers and facemasks. (The Dow would easily reach 5000-- but the stock markets would be closed.) Hospitals & EMTs would try to treat as many symptoms as they could but unless an effective antiviral vaccine is discovered then 20-somethings are going to have to hope that their immune systems don't get exposed.
Thanks - That's good to know.
During the early 80s, I looked into survival ism and food stocks.
A simple thing to do is buy 2 cases of all the food you normally eat and then replenish it by 1 case after you have eaten 1 case. This can last quite some time for a single person. You have quite a bit of water in your hot water heater, pipes bottled water,