Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
....vs. living in the street?
Hey, when I was 19 maybe I would have considered something like that. But now? I mean really?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Because the banks are not in the rental business, they're naive about the risks inherent to owning rental property. Was negotiating with a bank for a duplex ... they were stuck at 40k ... I wanted it for 30k (like 2 others I had purchased from the same bank). During my inspection I suspected lead paint on the doors and windows ... NOT GOOD in MA. Also noted a 2 year old in the first floor ... CLEAR VIOLATION of MA lead paint laws.

I told the realtor to tell the bank "they have a HUGE liability here. Who better for a tenant to sue than a BANK! And by the way, I'll pay 40k if they delead the units. No way I am taking ownership of this liability." Bank came back with the idea of adding the deleading costs onto the sale price. I said "no way, what else is on your REO list." Couple weeks go by, the units are deleaded for a cost of 5k (all new doors and windows primarily). My realtor calls saying they'll take 40k. Closed it with 20% down.

If the 2 year old had come down with lead poison ... he'ld be part owner of that small bank.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Hey, when I was 19 maybe I would have considered something like that. But now? I mean really?
You'd be amazed by how many people live in this manner. Buy a house, and if you can't make the payments just duck the creditors. Then you've got those who buy cars with little intention of making payments.
"Hey! If you'll approve me for the loan, I'll drive it 'til you take it away!"
I tried repo-ing cars once.....just once.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
That suggests an interesting strategy - market yourself to the bank as a no-rent REO house-sitter. You keep up the property on your own dime.

Hmmmm.......
Quote:
Now THINK about that. What a miserable existence!!! Living in a doubtlessly trashed house, for an indeterminate length of time, with endless buyers tromping through. Yuck.
Quote:
....vs. living in the street?
Quote:
Quote:
You'd be amazed by how many people live in this manner. Buy a house, and if you can't make the payments just duck the creditors. Then you've got those who buy cars with little intention of making payments.
"Hey! If you'll approve me for the loan, I'll drive it 'til you take it away!"
I tried repo-ing cars once.....just once.
I thought Tick Tock's comment (to which I was responding... see above) meant responding to the bank as a third party housesitter.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #25

Oh, sorry. I know there are already people who housesit for real estate agents. They just have to be ready to move on a moments notice.
I guess too many conversations going at once.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting ideas. I could do this (I'm single) but still have the wreckage of a failed realtionship (including the house, the ex-'s cats and furniture). But still, the idea of being a house-sitter is attractive. It is a lifestyle sometimes recommended in the LBYM type books. For someone with few possessions, a truck maybe, and a cell phone, and a mail forwarding service, it might be a neat-o life style. Even to offer to just pay utilities and do basic maintenance might be a good offer to the owner ("bank"), but these alone can rival rent in many cases. An aggressive layman who knew local tenant law could probably milk the system very well....as said earlier, I bet we'll see more of this in coming years.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I thought Tick Tock's comment (to which I was responding... see above) meant responding to the bank as a third party housesitter.
Yes, that's what I meant.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #28

I'm reminded of the verse "When ya ain't got nothin, Ya got nothin to lose"