Why not paper-file taxes?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lord knows, being ER'd means having some spare time :dance: So, since I no longer can get free Turbo Tax (Deluxe), what's the downside to paper filing? Obviously, there's the delay in getting any refund. But is that delay much longer?
Yes, I can easily afford the cost, but I never had to pay for it in the past. Being the cheapskate that I am, so far I haven't been able to fork over the $$$. Granted, I'm rusty from DIY tax filing after years of Turbo, but if I did it before I'm sure I can follow my old Turbo template.
Am I being unrealistic?

Am I being unrealistic?

Not at all. I did mine by hand and on paper for decades in the days before home computers. I'm sure my mental acuity hasn't declined so much that I wouldn't be able to now.

But TurboTax and the other software makes it so much easier they're worth the money to not have to wade through the IRS jargon on the tax forms and push buttons on a calculator for hours.

I like the time-savings of the computer doing a lot of the work for me (and not risking anyone having to try and decipher my handwriting..), so that alone makes the cost worth it to me.

The one other upside I see to the tax software is that it has the ability to catch changes to the tax code from year to year that may impact me, but which I may not be aware of. That chance of a tax-code changing and having an impact on my return is another factor that makes paying for the software potentially worth it to me.

The only other disadvantages I can think of, are pretty minor.

You have to either print out the forms, or find someplace that has them available. You probably want to pick up the latest edition of Lasser.

And, you are relying on the Post Office to deliver your return. Might or might not be a worry.

Yes, you are being unrealistic. I paid $40 for TT this year. It is so much better compared to doing a return by hand (I do my Mom's simple trust return by hand and even that is a hassle).

Not to mention being able to efile and not having to print a return, assemble the W-2, 1099 forms with it and all.

Easy decision... spend the $40.

Now that you have time will you go down to the bank to pay your mortgage and to the cable company office to pay your cable bill, etc... or write checks instead of using bill pay? False economies.

Last edited:
I think this is a 2-part question.

1. Do you do your taxes by hand without software? I tried that a few years ago with a State return for my state of residence (had downloaded the version for my employment state and didn't want to pay for a second one). I'm an actuary, math-friendly, legal-ese friendly, Excel-friendly. Still too many "mini-worksheets" and twists and turns and I made a few mistakes, which the state's computer flagged. I owed more $$, of course. Now I use software. Always.

2. Do you e-file or send a paper copy? I'm old-fashioned. I send a paper copy. I just figure I'll make them work for the details if they want them rather than giving them data to mine. That's delayed refunds in years when I overpaid, but I'm willing to wait. Never had a problem with returns going astray.

1. Do you do your taxes by hand without software? I tried that a few years ago with a State return for my state of residence (had downloaded the version for my employment state and didn't want to pay for a second one). I'm an actuary, math-friendly, legal-ese friendly, Excel-friendly. Still too many "mini-worksheets" and twists and turns and I made a few mistakes, which the state's computer flagged. I owed more $$, of course. Now I use software. Always.

2. Do you e-file or send a paper copy? I'm old-fashioned. I send a paper copy. I just figure I'll make them work for the details if they want them rather than giving them data to mine. That's delayed refunds in years when I overpaid, but I'm willing to wait. Never had a problem with returns going astray.

Exactly! I do use TT or TC for assembling the return (because this makes it easier for me), but I refuse to pay for e-filing - fed or state. As far as I'm concerned, the IRS should pay ME to file electronically since it makes THEIR work much easier. Until such time, I print it out and stick it in an envelope to be sent by regular mail.

When push comes to shove I'm sure I'll just suck it up and ante up. But I definitely won't pay to efile if I owe to Uncle Sam or my state.

As far as I'm concerned, the IRS should pay ME to file electronically since it makes THEIR work much easier. Until such time, I print it out and stick it in an envelope to be sent by regular mail.

The IRS does not charge you to file electronically.

If you're looking for an excuse not to efile, it isn't cost, because the IRS and states do not charge for efiling. The only costs associated with efiling are those charged by a tax preparer or tax software. Depending on the software brand and version, electronic filing charges have ranged from free to around $25.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-too...me-Tax-Return-Electronic-Filing/INF12060.html

If you want to efile for free then you can,

https://www.irs.com/file-taxes-online

I have other things to spend my time on.

Hmmmmmm..... I've e-filed the past few years too. But mailing in a paper copy was never a long project. Maybe 30 mins tops. Do you have a really slow printer, walk 3 miles to your rural mailbox or ??

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it completely by hand; I'd want to check the math and stuff over too many times before I was confident to send it off. So although I could do it, I know I'd waste so much time on validation, it would be too painful.

If I were too cheap to buy the tax software, then I'd at least type my information into IRS Free File or something like that. If I were not interested in e-file, you could always print out the forms and mail them. But really, H&R Block "TaxCut" is only $20, and it includes e-file.

Although I've e-filed for a few years now, I was a holdout because I wanted to have as little data in the IRS database as possible. I read that if you file a paper return, they only enter a small percentage of your data from the main forms.

I used TT, printed a complete copy (with all supporting docs) for my files and then pressed the button for a copy to mail. But now I've succumbed and press the button for file electronically. Little difference in time and effort either way.

Last edited:
TT is way faster and worth it to me, I remember doing taxes by hand, it was fun when I was young - I'm over that.

However, my state charges $10-20 for eFiling which seems ridiculous - doesn't it make it easier for the state if I file electronically too? So I do Fed & State taxes on TT, eFile Fed for free, and mail in my state return on Apr 14th - hoping they're buried in paper...

Last edited:
I use software to prepare my taxes, but I always print them out and mail them in.

Yeah, I'm not clear whether the OP is talking about doing 1 or 2. I assume since the cost of TT is mentioned, it is 1. I won't ever do it by hand anymore now that I've used TT or similar for a number of years. Reasons:

1) Math errors. I can use a calculator but there's still the chance of punching in a wrong number or transposing numbers.

2) Filling out the forms wrong. As I recall the LTCG and QDivs worksheet is somewhat complex in what they are asking for. Or I might forget to carry over capital losses, which tax programs do automatically. Handling foreign taxes paid doesn't look simple. I'm sure there are more things I can do wrong.

3) Making changes. If I find another 1099-INT or charitable deduction, no worries with a tax program. I just punch in the info, and everything gets updated. On a paper copy, I likely have to redo the affected form, the main 1040, the CG/Divs worksheet, and recalculate the tax.

4) Running what-if scenarios. Tax programs are great for running scenarios on what happens if I convert more of my IRA to a Roth, or other such things.

5) Retrieving info on past returns. I keep all my returns on my laptop, backed up. If I need to look up anything, I just open the .pdf file, and there it is. No going to the file cabinet to find the right file folder. My thumb drive for backup data also takes up less space than past returns in my fire proof safe.

6) Time. I'm sure doing it by hand takes a lot more time, and even though I'm retired my time is worth something, especially since I never liked filling out tax forms by hand.

7) Amended returns. Pretty simple with tax programs, more work by hand.

8) 8. I forget what 8 was for. I'm sure there are more reasons.

If it's #2 above, as has already been said, e-filing fed taxes is free so I'm not going to spend my ink printing out forms to mail in, plus wonder if they actually got there. I know when my e-filed form has been received. State taxes do have an e-file free in my state, and I think it's just 2 pages to print, so I do print and mail those, reluctantly.

Hmmmmmm..... I've e-filed the past few years too. But mailing in a paper copy was never a long project. Maybe 30 mins tops. Do you have a really slow printer, walk 3 miles to your rural mailbox or ??

I think he was planning to do the taxes entirely by hand. So pretty time consuming methinks, especially if you want to not make errors.

Mailing a return - well, I always felt compelled to get some type of verification that my return was received and not lost in the mail, so I always made a trip to the post office and filled out some paperwork there. Now I get a nice email.

Paper, always paper.

It forces me to READ and UNDERSTAND the applicable IRS (and state) instructions. Filling in blanks and clicking through doesn't give me a warm fuzzy (or anything else for that matter).

I can appreciate the speed and "convenience" that some have expressed, however, I do have the time on my hands to remember how to handle a pen and staple papers together (oh the Nirvana).

Besides, I used those skills at w*rk for nearly 40 yrs, why loose them?:yuk:

_B

Attachments

• 39901903-mad-scientist.jpg
    39901903-mad-scientist.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 30
Twenty-one years ago, when I bought my first PC, I created within a spreadsheet which has my checkbook register a skeleton version of my income tax forms and applicable worksheets. It's not foolproof because I have to update it each year but once I have updated it to reflect all the changes, it does all the calculations. I print out the spreadsheet and copy the numbers onto my tax forms. Before that I did everything by hand.

A few years ago, I began using the fill-in versions of the income tax forms which are helpful. On my state forms (New York), it automatically updates all the math and fills in lines which are calculations of other lines. Too bad the federal forms don't do that. I then print everything out and mail it in.

It forces me to READ and UNDERSTAND the applicable IRS (and state) instructions. Filling in blanks and clicking through doesn't give me a warm fuzzy (or anything else for that matter).

It depends on the person I suppose. I've had my fill of wading through governmental bureaucratic gobbledygook since I had to do a lot of that at work. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Knowing myself, I have a tendency to transpose digits so even with a calculator I am perfectly capable of screwing it up. Using the tax software makes that a lot less likely. Even better is if I can download the data and import directly into TT, thus keeping my grubby mitts off it and removing one more chance to screw up.

On that TT page linked earlier they noted that 20% of returns done by hand have math errors vs. 1% for returns done by software.

Back
Top Bottom