Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Ehhhh, it wasn't a terrible article. I didn't learn anything which is why I tend to read like articles. And, I don't have any issues with a FIRE blogger making a buck on his/her blog. If they need the revenue earned by their blogs to augment retirement income, then in my opinion, they are not FIRED. If, like me, its a paying hobby (I teach High School part time and coach football) then I would consider them FIREd with a paying hobby. I too used to hang out over at MMM, but left due to the amount of political visceral over there. It seems there's not a thread which is immune from it. I feel more at home here. You guys rock!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Perhaps it wouldn't annoy me (and others) so much if the author of the article did use it FOURTEEN TIMES in the article.
The writer’s side hustle is obviously using the term “side hustle”.
Luke 6:42
Old 04-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Luke 6:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
He hates large SUVs and trucks. He posted that he knocked on a woman's SUV window, because she was idling her engine in a parking lot, and he didn't approve. I suggested that he gets to have an opinion, and he might be right, but trying to physically make people live by his preferred rules is going a little too far.
I can't emphasize with any holier-than-thou environmental activist or SJW who feels themselves entitled to judge others' behaviour/choices and subject them to public harangues or harassment. Live and let live! None of us have 'all the answers', and certainly none of us are perfect or consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exflyboy5 View Post
he has at least one kid, right? Then i would argue that he has created a much larger "carbon foorprint" than i ever will (large suv or not), since i am childfree.
+1,000
Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have been retired without any hustle for 15 years. One of our buddies found his skills in native languages was in demand and made well over $100k last year. I agree that bloggers are doing it as a hobby and it is pretty far from the 9 to 5 or worse deadlines with travel. I am just glad that I do not need to work for pin money.

Although my portfolio management skills are worth a few bucks. What AUM fee am I worth? Also home handyman skills?
Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
He has at least one kid, right? Then I would argue that he has created a much larger "carbon foorprint" than I ever will (large SUV or not), since I am childfree.
You beat me to it! Thanks!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

retirement is different for each of us.

When I was 'working' I was in a uniform. For most of my career, I lived on submarines and I was always in rotating shift-work.

My ideal retirement was to live out in the woods, to build a cabin on solar-power, grow veggies, keep beehives, and a herd of livestock.

Some might view this lifestyle as 'working', but it does not feel like work to me.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #47

^^^When I was w*rking, I wore a hardhat, steel toed boots, caplight, battery and about 40# of safety gear and instruments. I, too, did shift work.

Now I cook, smoke/make charcuterie, make wine, help others to make wine, garden, and putz around the rentals.
Beekeeping seems interesting, but we travel a lot, and none of this is w*rk to me.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Somebody hates me? Get in line.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I don't think people "hate" early retirees. My DB and SIL make lots of money and have for the past 20 years and they cannot retire. Why? Because they spend like there's no tomorrow. Several high end vacations a year, high end house, high end clothes, high end cars. LOL That's SIL favorite way to describe something good, it's always "high end." So they see our "low end" lifestyle, low end cars, low end vacations and ask, "how did you retire so early?" Really?
Your post got me laughing... surprise surprise !! Savers win the retirement race
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I don't think people "hate" early retirees. My DB and SIL make lots of money and have for the past 20 years and they cannot retire. Why? Because they spend like there's no tomorrow. Several high end vacations a year, high end house, high end clothes, high end cars. LOL That's SIL favorite way to describe something good, it's always "high end." So they see our "low end" lifestyle, low end cars, low end vacations and ask, "how did you retire so early?" Really?
Reading this, it occurred to me that perhaps DB & SIL spend to the max to support their "high end" lifestyle. And perhaps they assumed that you, too, were spending to the max, and only able to support a "low end" lifestyle. And therefore, your early retirement caught them by surprise.

(I'm guessing that they do not understand that LBYM and saving can make an early retirement possible at a variety of income levels. )

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Well, "FIRE" seems to be the most recent "hot thing" to be. If everyone else is working to pay for all the status symbols, not needing to work becomes the new status symbol.

So it's easy to be "retired" when you're really still working. We've seen a few RE's here who really weren't RE'd.

As noted above: "I don't think that word means what you think it does"

Just a lot of BS IMO.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #52
gone traveling

Warning...here's another blogger's post...https://chiefmomofficer.org/2018/04/...-for-the-rich/

She covers the backlash on a different blogger (Frugalwoods). I didn't read the linked article very closely, but it provided good highlights of the hypocrisy among the bloggers though I totally disagree with this blogger's conclusion. Comments were also interesting to skim through (didn't waste time reading all of them of course).
In summary, I agree with FW's message (I used to skim her blog posts once in a while). However, now knowing her family's approximate income I find some of her old articles almost dishonest because she claimed that her DH and she save (or used to) 70%+ of income. You don't save percentages, you save dollars and cents. You pay for your food in dollars and cents, not percentages. It's one think to save 70% of $70-100k income and totally different when it's more than $250K.
But like one blogger said, you gotta embellish and make FIRE look easy or your readership will not grow.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
You don't save percentages, you save dollars and cents. You pay for your food in dollars and cents, not percentages. It's one think to save 70% of $70-100k income and totally different when it's more than $250K.
I save 46% of my gross income, and am up a percentage or two over last year, because of my lowered taxes, a tiny raise, and lower Amazon spending. I've been trying to get it to 50% (of $140K gross), but it's tough when you live in a high cost of living area.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #54

I don't consider myself as "playing" at frugal.

Frugal is how I was raised.
I don't remember it, but my parents took mattresses that were thrown out on the sidewalk for us to sleep on.

The people who are jealous are missing the point.

There is woman who my mom knows drives beat up old car where the cigarette lighter don't even work. Yet this woman spends $100+/month for cable + telephone no internet.

Being frugal is a mindset.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I save 46% of my gross income, and am up a percentage or two over last year, because of my lowered taxes, a tiny raise, and lower Amazon spending. I've been trying to get it to 50% (of $140K gross), but it's tough when you live in a high cost of living area.
Is this for one or two adults+child+dog? 50% of $140k would be quite different than 70% of say $250-$300k (Boston area).
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
There is woman who my mom knows drives beat up old car where the cigarette lighter don't even work. Yet this woman spends $100+/month for cable + telephone no internet.
Without a lighter, perhaps she stopped smoking. Saving money that can be used for internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2020 View Post
How good would it be if employees were the ones doing the firing after 55? I’d think that management behaviors would evolve to one of humility and respect versus selfishness that runs rampant.

Is this your experience as well?
It is mine. I am looking forward to controlling my destiny and telling The Man that I'm outta here. After all the abuse shoved in our face, it will be nice to turn the table a bit. It probably won't matter one bit. I will be but a flea bite on this mangy dog. Maybe a few thousand other fleas will join in.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #57

Being frugal is being efficient, and efficient is green.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Whenever people who know us express surprise at our early retirement, I assume they never read The Millionaire Next Door and the idea of saving money instead of spending it on luxury goods and status purchases.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
Warning...here's another blogger's post...https://chiefmomofficer.org/2018/04/...-for-the-rich/

She covers the backlash on a different blogger (Frugalwoods). I didn't read the linked article very closely, but it provided good highlights of the hypocrisy among the bloggers though I totally disagree with this blogger's conclusion.
She references “the personal finance community” ... who knew such a thing existed?

Personally, I don’t waste spend time reading financial blogs. Most seem to focus on investing and stockpicking ... typically, there is all kinds of pseudo-impressive analysis about why company or industry X is worthwhile, and then you find out that the blogger has been in the market for only a couple of years and has total investments worth less (often, much less) than $100,000.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Without a lighter, perhaps she stopped smoking. Saving money that can be used for internet.
This woman is a fitness instructor. No smoking.

She is an example of people who don't look carefully at their spending when they are living paycheck to paycheck.

I think that is step 1 of being frugal.
Look at what they are spending and whether it can be done differently or not at all.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote