Join Early Retirement Today

Why some people hate early retirees
Old 04-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Why some people hate early retirees

An article in marketwatch.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ong-2018-04-25
Cpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just read it..or read the first paragraph..His whine has nothing to do with the title. He is just saying don't hate me because I have a blog. And make money off of you.
Not all retiree's are hustling like he says. Not all retiree's are couch potatoes. You are who you are.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tl; dr
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

I don't think people "hate" early retirees. My DB and SIL make lots of money and have for the past 20 years and they cannot retire. Why? Because they spend like there's no tomorrow. Several high end vacations a year, high end house, high end clothes, high end cars. LOL That's SIL favorite way to describe something good, it's always "high end." So they see our "low end" lifestyle, low end cars, low end vacations and ask, "how did you retire so early?" Really?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of these apologetics are pure and simple lying. I read recently where some ER blogger admitted that without claiming to be retired, no matter how successful they are and "how much fun" they claim to be having, people read them becaue of their assertion that they are "retired".

Question- if you hate corporate life, and you buy a laundromat or a dry cleaner business, are you retired?

Only by vastly bending the meaning of the English language is this retirement. It may have a different set of rewards and costs from the usual occupation, but imo retirement it is not. And the term of art, "side hustle" is also very interesting. It wasn't long ago that people called women who sold sex, cardsharks, and anyone who was a grifter or dealt in shady goods or services a hustler, and their acts hustles.

My rule is to discount almost all of this "retirement blogger" bs.

Ha
Old 04-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

Yeah, one more comment. Mr. Money Moustache didn't retire, he changed careers.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #7

Full disclosure..didn't read article

hate RE's? Clogging up the coffee shops @ 10:00 am? Grocery shopping ailse @ 3:00 pm? Reserving all the pet sitters in town to go on dreamy vacations?
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

From reading Mr. MM's blog I don't think he ever set out to be a big $ maker. It just happened. However, I don't like his funky accounting he does to justify his car and trips as business expenses. I think he has inflated his lifestyle since he is making so much $. That is fine and he should admit it. I don't think he published his financials last year like he usually does. He does not blog much at all anymore. He does donate a bunch of the blog $ to charity which is great. When I retired 6 years ago I didn't expect to make $. But a year later I was offered the chance to teach an online college course in my field and tried it and love it. I call myself semi-retired since I probably average about 10 hours/week when class is in session. I can do it anywhere with internet.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't get past the first paragraph. A long while ago, Marketwatch actually provided a decent coverage of finance related news. However, a few years ago it seems that they started adding in a good amount of "click bait" (like most other news websites). But over the last year or so, that's just about the ONLY thing that is on their website.

And...enough with the term, "side hustle".
Old 04-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
And...enough with the term, "side hustle".
In my day, it was called a "second job". That's the way it was... and we liked it.

Now, get off my lawn!
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Clogging up the coffee shops @ 10:00 am? Grocery shopping ailse @ 3:00 pm? Reserving all the pet sitters in town to go on dreamy vacations?
+1

In addition to buying the last package of #10-24 stainless steel machine screws at Lowe's mid-morning on a Wednesday.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #12

I was in management for 35 years, people have always hated me! I expect it.

https://www.teeshirtpalace.com/produ...RoCerUQAvD_BwE
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Most of these apologetics are pure and simple lying. I read recently where some ER blogger admitted that without claiming to be retired, no matter how successful they are and "how much fun" they claim to be having, people read them becaue of their assertion that they are "retired".

Question- if you hate corporate life, and you buy a laundromat or a dry cleaner business, are you retired?

Only by vastly bending the meaning of the English language is this retirement. It may have a different set of rewards and costs from the usual occupation, but imo retirement it is not. And the term of art, "side hustle" is also very interesting. It wasn't long ago that people called women who sold sex, cardsharks, and anyone who was a grifter or dealt in shady goods or services a hustler, and their acts hustles.

My rule is to discount almost all of this "retirement blogger" bs.

Ha
For those who are FI, but working part-time, I'd say semi-retired is appropriate. If one is dependent on income from work or running a business, one is still a working stiff (even if slightly gilded).

And yeah. There was (is?) an "art" magazine that that went by that moniker.

Anyway, it's okay if some folks want to hate me. I've got a dog.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
+1

In addition to buying the last package of #10-24 stainless steel machine screws at Lowe's mid-morning on a Wednesday.
ooohhhh. I hate those people!

I did have really good service at a True Value the other day

*now back to oiriginal thread
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #15

If you are truly FI, and stop working, you're retired. If you go back to work, you're not.

My idea of FIRED is leaving the full-time work force, travelling, writing magazine articles, and selling underwater photos. It will be for fun, and not for money, although it may help pay for more trips. Will I be retired or just repurposed?
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #16

Haha,
I don't mind the general LBYM message from MMM, but if he writes anything on his blog, at least 100 of his devoted followers immediately post to agree with his every word. It is kind of like a cult.

He hates large SUVs and trucks. He posted that he knocked on a woman's SUV window, because she was idling her engine in a parking lot, and he didn't approve.
I suggested that he gets to have an opinion, and he might be right, but trying to physically make people live by his preferred rules is going a little too far. I asked if he would have done the same thing if it was two male construction workers in their big truck. Pure silence, and no comments. Never question the cult leader.

Take care,

JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #17

Boy that article was badly written! Repetitive beyond belief. This Guy makes money from his blog? Geez, Louise, that was possibly the worst written "article" on early retirees I have ever read.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Haha,
I don't mind the general LBYM message from MMM, but if he writes anything on his blog, at least 100 of his devoted followers immediately post to agree with his every word. It is kind of like a cult.

He hates large SUVs and trucks. He posted that he knocked on a woman's SUV window, because she was idling her engine in a parking lot, and he didn't approve.
I suggested that he gets to have an opinion, and he might be right, but trying to physically make people live by his preferred rules is going a little too far. I asked if he would have done the same thing if it was two male construction workers in their big truck. Pure silence, and no comments. Never question the cult leader.

Take care,

JP
Flying to Equador and holding conferences where many other people fly to long distance locations like that would seem to use much more energy then a single SUV idling. It seems hypocritical to complain about a SUV driver when he is likely to be a much higher total energy user than an average person in the U.S.

As we've discussed here before, the issue with many of the ER bloggers is that they are encouraging others to take on risks they themselves are not really taking. The MMM guy can go back to Canada for health insurance worst case. Most Americans do not have that option. The common message is retire and you will be fine if you just cut out the Starbucks and get a second hand bike. Yet they are often working for income, health insurance and extra Social Security credits.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
It seems hypocritical to complain about a SUV driver when he is likely to be a much higher total energy user than an average person in the U.S.
Maybe hypocrisy is the new black?

Ha
Old 04-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #20

"Side hustle" sounds like disco fever, where is John Travolta?
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote