Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Will property tax still be deductible after the expected tax reform/cut?
Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

While mortgage interest deduction is pretty safe, what will happen to the property tax?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like I missed it, they passed a tax reform? Link?

Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #3

One of the proposals eliminates deductions for local taxes. That includes state and local taxes on income and property. They say it's offset by lower Federal tax rates but for us it would be a hefty increase overall. I would think this would get killed before getting passed but I'm not sure many people are paying attention. The real estate lobby will protect the mortgage interest deduction.

There's also some effort to change status of muni bonds.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #4

Great news, glad I didnt hear about this before. So no more property tax deduction and I cant deduct my 5 digit state income tax. Glad I had a nice dinner before I read this tidbit.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

I would not remotely begin to react to what is less than a postcard of tweeted maybe's coming out of DC at this point.

You'll drive yourself mad and look silly in the process.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I would not remotely begin to react to what is less than a postcard of tweeted maybe's coming out of DC at this point.

You'll drive yourself mad and look silly in the process.

I agree. Its a long way from being reality but I do worry not enough folks are paying attention.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I agree. Its a long way from being reality but I do worry not enough folks are paying attention.
Count me in on the wasn't paying attention crowd. I thought the new law already got passed when I saw this thread. Just like the equifax breech, I still only heard about it here.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Great news, glad I didnt hear about this before. So no more property tax deduction and I cant deduct my 5 digit state income tax. Glad I had a nice dinner before I read this tidbit.

Well they also wanna do away with the estate tax completely so your heirs will love that.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #9

Note that as part of the deal they are also discussing doubling the standard deduction.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that as part of the deal they are also discussing doubling the standard deduction.
I would take the 2x standard over itemizing any day.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #11

If the mortgage deduction or property taxes get eliminated, form a company, and rent the house to yourself.

Corporations will ALWAYS be allowed to deduct business expenses...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Well they also wanna do away with the estate tax completely so your heirs will love that.

Not so fast....In return for doing away with the estate tax they want to tax life insurance proceeds.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Just like with health care, the expected tax reform ideas are speculation, proposed by individuals or groups with agendas, and discussion always gets political, and partisan. For that reason, tax proposals are fair topics for discussion once they are out of committee and under consideration by either of the two legislative bodies.

Therefore, the moderator team has closed the thread.