Join Early Retirement Today

Will SS be there
Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Will SS be there

While we are not counting on it so our plan is without it...but what is the general consensus on whether SS will be available to those of us retiring in the next year or so at 50
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I cannot imagine that it won't be here in some form. Unfortunately, too many people depend on it, and view it as their retirement program (very few on this board I would suspect).
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SS is not going away, but I believe inflation will be allowed to eat away at the real value of the payouts.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think most of it will be there but we have cushion in the retirement plan in case it is less than currently expected.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

For those 50 or older, I believe that we will received 95-100% of the promised benefits.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've watched several shows on Social Security and the worst case described by any of them is that payroll tax receipts will still fund 75% of benefits goimg forward.

Find things written by Mary Beth Franklin. She is a guru on the subject.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #7

I have no doubts that it will be there as is for those 40 and over. Having said that, I do believe that there will be changes coming to the younger generations. I suspect they will move the FRA and do away with the ability to collect early, yet reduced payments. This will happen slowly so as to not upset the voting populace too much.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #8

No worries. But I hope you have your 40 credits by age 50.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
No worries. But I hope you have your 35 credits by age 50.
35 credits will get you five quarters away from qualifying for a benefit.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #10

Corrected post on required number of credits, but the point remains the same.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'll let you know when I cash my first SS check in 7 years and 6 months when I am eligible to collect at age 62.

I did not figure on SS as the baseline for my retirement funding and timeline to stop w*rking.

We shall see what we shall see...
Old 04-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

No question, IMO, it will be there for the long run. The questions to me are, how much will benefits be watered down (means tested, raised eligibility age, reduced benefit) and at what age do people above it get spared from sharing the pain?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
No question, IMO, it will be there for the long run. The questions to me are, how much will benefits be watered down (means tested, raised eligibility age, reduced benefit) and at what age do people above it get spared from sharing the pain?
+1
Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Age will likely be the least important variable. It's all about redistribution, and income and assets are what that is about.

Also, the stealthiest things they can do will be done first. Moving to chained CPI is IMO a done deal. It will hurt everyone equally, though higher income people who pay 85% income taxes on SS benefits are in some ways spared, since some of the full benefit would have been taxed away. Also, it would be easy to go to 100% taxation of benefits, or even a tax surcharge on higher income people. We have to remember that the electorate is stupid, and has a very short attention span. Also, the electorate hates high income people, it’s the New American Way.

Ha
Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #15

You worried if social security will survive ? Hey, other people are suggesting this, as noted in another thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ity-66011.html
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
gone traveling

Probably... However, I do think (my opinion only) that the system will begin evolving very soon. To what and how fast, I don't know. (clearly, our elected leaders don't know either) My "guess" is for folks 55 (pick your number) or older, things may not change "too much or too fast". (maybe...) For those younger, there will probably be some adjustments. Hopefully whatever they do, it will phased in over many years to give people time to adjust, plan, accept.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #17

My guess is that SS will be there for those folks for whom SS represents substantially all of their retirement income. Conversely, I think that thru a variety of methods, (means testing, CPI adjustments, additional taxes, God knows what else) a lot of folks that frequent this board may find that their plans of a nice fat payout at age 70 may not be quite so fat when the time comes. (Full disclosure I started SS at 62 a few months ago)
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #18

I hope so, but I have no idea. (I am 34) A lot is going to change over the next 36 years until I'm eligible.

At this point we are planning as if we won't get it, but it would certainly reduce our risk if we do.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #19

I've heard people say they were going to take SS at 62. They're afraid if they wait until NRA or 70, that the rules will change and they'll be shut out (mainly because of means testing). Their theory is that is you're in pay-status, chances are better they won't take it away.

Anyone have an opinion on this theory?
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I've heard people say they were going to take SS at 62. They're afraid if they wait until NRA or 70, that the rules will change and they'll be shut out (mainly because of means testing). Their theory is that is you're in pay-status, chances are better they won't take it away.

Anyone have an opinion on this theory?
I believe it is a derivative of the "grandather clause".

Grandfather clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia