Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #121
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Psssst. Wellesley's only down 2.29% YTD.

heh heh heh heh heh heh -

so it is - thx for pointing that out. about 1/3 of our loot is in there. my 401(k) is down about 5.5% ytd
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Psssst. Wellesley's only down 2.29% YTD.

heh heh heh heh heh heh -
Heyyy..quit that or we'll be thinking you're also a teenage girl...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

I am down 5.5% YTD, and down 8.5% since 10/9 with a 65% stock/35% fixed income allocation.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Rolling in dividends and capital gains paid out, I'm within $100 of where I was on 10/18/07.

Now THATS market neutral... :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Did I miss something? When did Germany bomb Pearl Harbor? Was it before or after Japan invaded Poland?
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Did I miss something? When did Germany bomb Pearl Harbor? Was it before or after Japan invaded Poland?
For your viewing pleasure (I would attach the longer, funnier version but there are a few choice words):

Old 01-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #127
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
http://www.mmgdriscoll.com/miked/doubleSecret.mp3
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #128

Yep! I missed something. Guess I have to brush up on Animal House in retirement.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

I would highly recommend doing so.

Umm, one thing thats a little more complicated to do these days vs the 50's is that whole supermarket/cucumber thing.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Umm, one thing thats a little more complicated to do these days vs the 50's is that whole supermarket/cucumber thing.
To say nothing of the shopping cart with the dean's daughter...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
To say nothing of the shopping cart with the dean's daughter...
the mayor's daughter
Old 01-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #132

Best Movie Ever Made

Pinto: Before we go any further, there's something I have to tell you. I lied to you. I've never done this before.
Clorette De Pasto: You've never made out with a girl before?
Pinto: No. No, I mean, I've never done what I think we're gonna do. I sort of did once, but i was...
Clorette De Pasto: That's okay, Larry. Neither have I. And besides, I lied to you, too.
Pinto: Oh, yeah? What about?
Clorette De Pasto: I'm only 13.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Important question Nord has your daughter seen the movie?

I ask because I made a Animal House reference recently and the under 30 crowd gave me blank stares. I felt so old.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

"Animal House", oh does that bring back memories. You think you're old? My Grandmother used to own the house across the street. The Sig Eps were next door as I recall.

The guys were really nice, but they were boisterous without a doubt. Grannie, my sister, girl cousins and I missed the entertainment when the hospital bought her out.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Each decades teens seem to have their own "animal house". I find myself unimpressed with the ones that came before and after "mine".

Its that sort of movie that hits you when you're at that sort of age, I guess. You bond.

And most recently of all, a "Roman Toga Party" was held from which we have received more than two dozen reports of individual acts of perversion SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Important question Nord has your daughter seen the movie?
I ask because I made a Animal House reference recently and the under 30 crowd gave me blank stares. I felt so old.
Well, that's because to them, Clif, we are old. Older than dirt! Or as I'm frequently told by that crowd, "Duh!"

I haven't shared that cinematic gem with her, and I'm not sure how long before she'll be ready to handle the Blues Brothers movie. She's at the teen stage where she's almost too grossed out by us to spend time with us in the same room, let alone hear dirty words & sex jokes. Heck, she barely put up with "Wayne's World" and Meatloaf's music videos. Wait'll I give her the lyric sheet from Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever" and explain the double entendres.

When the original Animal House movie hit theaters, I was a newbie plebe at USNA with no liberty privileges. The upperclass came staggering back from town one night shouting "TO-ga! TO-ga! TO-ga!!" and we were sure it was gonna be bad. It was another month before we found out what the fuss was about.

Quote:
And most recently of all, a "Roman Toga Party" was held from which we have received more than two dozen reports of individual acts of perversion SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.
Well of course. But the heck with the thousand words, where did you post the cell-phone pictures?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #137

Animal House, Caddyshack, Monty Python...all very funny, very funny.

Off -or sort of on topic -this thread title made me think of the song by 'The Smiths' Panic on the streets of London.....
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #138

The markets expect the Fed to cut interest rates by another 1/2 to 3/4% next Wednesday. Either way, next weeks rate cut in combination with the one we had yesterday will be the steepest in such a short period since 1982.

Free Preview - WSJ.com
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Great. I love it when rookies try to do stuff thats never been done before.

With the economy. :
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Great. I love it when rookies try to do stuff thats never been done before.

With the economy. :
Yeah, they should just take OUR ADVICE..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote