Win the Powerball, what would you change?

Move to a low tax jurisdiction to avoid the income taxes on $500,000,000.00 while negotiating the total tax bill to Uncle Sam.

Too late... it is where you bought the ticket that would be the taxing event...

I bet you anything that if you bought the ticket in Illinois but lived in Florida or Texas where there is no income tax that Illinois would take their cut... and if you refused they would sue you....

Now, if you bought a ticket in Texas and lived in Illinois, you would still be on the hook for taxes since you were a resident....

I will not buy a ticket. I feel that it would be like going back to work only this time the job is what to do with money. I am happy without any kind of job. Sorry for whoever wins.

I feel sorry for all those suckers who are spending baby's shoes and formula so they can increase their odds from .00000000000000000000000001 to .000000000000000000000000034

I will not buy a ticket. I feel that it would be like going back to work only this time the job is what to do with money. I am happy without any kind of job. Sorry for whoever wins.
Me, too. I told DW to please not buy a ticket through the office pool.

I'd love to give away money, but more at a one to one level, you know that "for being a good citizen" type thing. I was sitting in a doctors office the other day and saw this lady struggling to wheel her mother in as the wheelchair was clearly the size of the door and the oxygen tank was getting hung up, I jumped up and helped of course and when I turned two people were ignoring the situation and one guy looked like he just realized he probably should have helped. If I'm going to do good in this world, it would be to encourage more people to do good in their every day life.

I'd love to give away money, but more at a one to one level, you know that "for being a good citizen" type thing.
If you win, you will certainly have the opportunity - 24/7. They will call you, write you and chase you down the street. A few of them really will have a dying child.

My socks... I have been waiting for Thorlos to go on sale buy if I won I would probably would just pull the trigger and pay full price.

Of course as the Lottery Corp here likes to say, 'You have to be in it, to win it!' and alas I have been a guaranteed loser all my life.

My socks... I have been waiting for Thorlos to go on sale buy if I won I would probably would just pull the trigger and pay full price.

Of course as the Lottery Corp here likes to say, 'You have to be in it, to win it!' and alas I have been a guaranteed loser all my life.

I love Thorlos socks! If you buy a few pairs from them online, they are always sending e-mail notices of sales (3 for the price of 2 and stuff like that). They still aren't cheap, though, and maybe you are finding better sales.

I have some that I bought in 2006 that I have worn at least once a week for ten years and they are still in great shape. So, I do believe they last a long time, at least for me anyway. If they all last that long (a big "if", granted), and if I keep 7 pairs at all times, then my socks spending would average about $12/year. I can handle that.

+1000

I agree completely. I have enough money to keep myself in Thorlos and New Balance, and the few other luxury items that I prefer. To me, at this stage in life, time is the greatest luxury.

Last edited:
I would maintain a residence in the Swiss or Italian Alps, another on the Meditaranian, and several on each coast of the US. Maybe one in Paris too. But just a townhouse there. Oh and get a yacht to sail the world. With a private crew and dining staff. Nothing too fancy. I would'nt want to overdo it. Might become a Netjets member also.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'd love to give away money, but more at a one to one level, you know that "for being a good citizen" type thing. I was sitting in a doctors office the other day and saw this lady struggling to wheel her mother in as the wheelchair was clearly the size of the door and the oxygen tank was getting hung up, I jumped up and helped of course and when I turned two people were ignoring the situation and one guy looked like he just realized he probably should have helped. If I'm going to do good in this world, it would be to encourage more people to do good in their every day life.

Maybe those people had health reasons for not helping like bad back, heart condition, shoulder condition.

From the web site; "You do NOT have to cash the ticket at the same store, but you do have to cash the ticket in the same state."

Do you mean to insinuate that my local gas station won't pay me my $1.X Billion? Boy oil really has dropped.

There was a snippet by Mark Cuban that was eye opening about what to do if winning.

Last edited:
Winning Powerball Numbers: 4,8,19,27,34, Powerball 10. Powerplay is 2.

For those who won--have your valet drop us a note.

Everyone in my office went together and pooled 50 tickets. I was the only holdout. They teased me that I'd be the only one coming in today. I know my odds. Gamblers dopamine highs can't overcome me.

They did win. An $8 payout. That's .16 cents per winning ticket bought. I joked to my coworker that she just earned almost 10 seconds of paid vacation. Woo hoo.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom