Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
But I would create a local "teacher Nobel prize" in your community. A self-sustaining endowment that would award outstanding teachers.
Oh, that would be a bag of woe. "Outstanding" by objective measures (test score improvements--tests are not very popular these days) or via nomination packages, screening boards, fact checkers, interviews, etc. Lots of personalities, politics, etc.

Maybe drop by each actual classroom in the district and give each actual teacher $1000 to spend on whatever they think would be most useful for their classroom and students. Tell 'em there will be more next year if they get results, and that if they are interested in another go they can send your staff a 2 page (max) report on how they spent the money, what it produced, and next year's plan. Let vendors of all kinds know you'll be sprinkling around a few million dollars among teachers in that district. They'll get some good ideas and resources out there.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
With that kind of money I would most certainly live wherever I wanted without worry about the tax rate. If you've got more money than you would ever know what to do with, why compromise on where to live just to have more money you don't know what to do with?

+1 Quite right.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's a life-ruining amount of money and I would never want it.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I would want it but really? a 1 in 295 million chance? I would think most of us on this forum know that that is as close to 0 as one can get without it actually being 0.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

- The odds on Powerball are 1 in 292.2M.

- There is a 100% chance that someone will win the Powerball jackpot, be it on 1/13/16 or Saturday or next week or next month, barring a catastrophic event. "Someone's gotta win."

Can we all just accept that both are true so we can stop belaboring this point? If you want to play, play. If you don't want to play, don't play.

FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Move to a low tax jurisdiction to avoid the income taxes on $500,000,000.00 while negotiating the total tax bill to Uncle Sam.

Too late... it is where you bought the ticket that would be the taxing event...

I bet you anything that if you bought the ticket in Illinois but lived in Florida or Texas where there is no income tax that Illinois would take their cut... and if you refused they would sue you....

Now, if you bought a ticket in Texas and lived in Illinois, you would still be on the hook for taxes since you were a resident....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

I will not buy a ticket. I feel that it would be like going back to work only this time the job is what to do with money. I am happy without any kind of job. Sorry for whoever wins.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #128

I feel sorry for all those suckers who are spending baby's shoes and formula so they can increase their odds from .00000000000000000000000001 to .000000000000000000000000034
Old 01-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
I will not buy a ticket. I feel that it would be like going back to work only this time the job is what to do with money. I am happy without any kind of job. Sorry for whoever wins.
Me, too. I told DW to please not buy a ticket through the office pool.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #130

I'd love to give away money, but more at a one to one level, you know that "for being a good citizen" type thing. I was sitting in a doctors office the other day and saw this lady struggling to wheel her mother in as the wheelchair was clearly the size of the door and the oxygen tank was getting hung up, I jumped up and helped of course and when I turned two people were ignoring the situation and one guy looked like he just realized he probably should have helped. If I'm going to do good in this world, it would be to encourage more people to do good in their every day life.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I'd love to give away money, but more at a one to one level, you know that "for being a good citizen" type thing.
If you win, you will certainly have the opportunity - 24/7. They will call you, write you and chase you down the street. A few of them really will have a dying child.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #132

My socks... I have been waiting for Thorlos to go on sale buy if I won I would probably would just pull the trigger and pay full price.

Of course as the Lottery Corp here likes to say, 'You have to be in it, to win it!' and alas I have been a guaranteed loser all my life.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
My socks... I have been waiting for Thorlos to go on sale buy if I won I would probably would just pull the trigger and pay full price.

Of course as the Lottery Corp here likes to say, 'You have to be in it, to win it!' and alas I have been a guaranteed loser all my life.
I love Thorlos socks! If you buy a few pairs from them online, they are always sending e-mail notices of sales (3 for the price of 2 and stuff like that). They still aren't cheap, though, and maybe you are finding better sales.

I have some that I bought in 2006 that I have worn at least once a week for ten years and they are still in great shape. So, I do believe they last a long time, at least for me anyway. If they all last that long (a big "if", granted), and if I keep 7 pairs at all times, then my socks spending would average about $12/year. I can handle that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
+1000

I agree completely. I have enough money to keep myself in Thorlos and New Balance, and the few other luxury items that I prefer. To me, at this stage in life, time is the greatest luxury.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Win the Powerball, what would you change?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #134

Win the Powerball, what would you change?

I would maintain a residence in the Swiss or Italian Alps, another on the Meditaranian, and several on each coast of the US. Maybe one in Paris too. But just a townhouse there. Oh and get a yacht to sail the world. With a private crew and dining staff. Nothing too fancy. I would'nt want to overdo it. Might become a Netjets member also.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Your wish will probably come true.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I'd love to give away money, but more at a one to one level, you know that "for being a good citizen" type thing. I was sitting in a doctors office the other day and saw this lady struggling to wheel her mother in as the wheelchair was clearly the size of the door and the oxygen tank was getting hung up, I jumped up and helped of course and when I turned two people were ignoring the situation and one guy looked like he just realized he probably should have helped. If I'm going to do good in this world, it would be to encourage more people to do good in their every day life.
Maybe those people had health reasons for not helping like bad back, heart condition, shoulder condition.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #137

I bought one ticket, and have been in such a good mood. Thanks Powerball!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
From the web site; "You do NOT have to cash the ticket at the same store, but you do have to cash the ticket in the same state."
Do you mean to insinuate that my local gas station won't pay me my $1.X Billion? Boy oil really has dropped.

There was a snippet by Mark Cuban that was eye opening about what to do if winning.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Winning Powerball Numbers: 4,8,19,27,34, Powerball 10. Powerplay is 2.

For those who won--have your valet drop us a note.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #140

Everyone in my office went together and pooled 50 tickets. I was the only holdout. They teased me that I'd be the only one coming in today. I know my odds. Gamblers dopamine highs can't overcome me.

They did win. An $8 payout. That's .16 cents per winning ticket bought. I joked to my coworker that she just earned almost 10 seconds of paid vacation. Woo hoo.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum