Join Early Retirement Today

Wind Generated Power
Old 10-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wind Generated Power

I checked my electrical provider's website today and discovered that the rate for wind generated power is now less than the rate for gas/coal generated. The utility co. provides an option to sign up to purchase a fixed amount of wind generated power each month or to have all your needs supplied via windmill. I signed up for 100% wind power (no snide remarks, JG ).

Although the savings is small (probably only $5 a month), the wind generated rate is fixed while the gas generated rate fluxuates with fuel costs. With natural gas prices soaring, I think this is the most cost effective way to go for the next few months. I can change back to fossil fuel power with 30 days notice to the utility.

Guess it never hurts to hug a tree once in a while...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wind Generated Power
Old 10-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's cool, but I don't get it. How do they know what electricity is going over the lines to you.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its just an offset. The power company knows you use X kwh in a month, so they buy X kwh from the windmill and feed it into the distribution grid.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
That's cool, but I don't get it. How do they know what electricity is going over the lines to you.
The wind generated electrons have a fresh, outdoor smell...

No, the utility company buys a certain amount of wind generated power from "wind farms" each month based on how many of their customers sign up to use it. The power is pooled with traditional fossil generated electricity and what actually comes out of my outlets at home is a blend from all sources.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #5

It might surprise some of you that Texas (yes, Texas ) is second only to California in the amount of wind generated electircity produced and sold in the US.

Attached Images
File Type: gif usa_projectsla_mw.gif (35.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
It might surprise some of you that Texas (yes, Texas ) is second only to California in the amount of wind generated electircity produced and sold in the US.
But in the past 5 years production has dropped off...projections are for a resumption in another 3 years.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

So you can chose to buy all your needs via wind for less money, why doesn't everyone say sell me all wind generated electricity? (Or maybe they will, now that the price has dropped).

We have a fair amount of wind power in Minnesota, all based in the southern part of the state (we don't have enough wind up here). One of our lawyers is employed almost entirely full time on wind generation projects. Wind generation for electricity has grown tremendously in Minnesota. This is despite the fact that electrical power is fairly cheap here anyway.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
But in the past 5 years production has dropped off...projections are for a resumption in another 3 years.
What? Has global warming cause a reduction in wind speeds? :

Old 10-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #9

Quote:
So you can chose to buy all your needs via wind for less money, why doesn't everyone say sell me all wind generated electricity? (Or maybe they will, now that the price has dropped).
Accoriding to the graphic I posted, Minnesota does rank 4th in wind power. Have you looked into buying wind generated power from your electrical supplier? Since Texas deregulated electrical utilites a couple of years ago, consumers here have a lot of options on who they buy from and what they buy.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #10

What's the downside? *In other words, why wouldn't everyone sign up for 100% wind power when it's rate is lower?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
What's the downside? In other words, why wouldn't everyone sign up for 100% wind power when it's rate is lower?
The supply is limited to the amount my electrical utility contracted for at the beginning of the year. First come, first serve when signing up. And although it may be hard to digest, when you're out of wind, you get gas...

Old 10-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #12

Quote:
One of our lawyers is employed almost entirely full time on wind generation projects.*
I took the test to get a job like that. *I failed the parts on electricity and generators, but I passed wind.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Accoriding to the graphic I posted, Minnesota does rank 4th in wind power. Have you looked into buying wind generated power from your electrical supplier? Since Texas deregulated electrical utilites a couple of years ago, consumers here have a lot of options on who they buy from and what they buy.

We can't. We live in the northern half of the state and most of our power is hydro and coal. The wind is the south half--Xcel Energy. Maybe Cut Throat and DanTien can buy wind. Now my husband, he wants to make his own wind. Seriously. He wants to move to the country and live off the grid.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Now my husband, he wants to make his own wind. Seriously. He wants to move to the country and live off the grid.
Probably willing to do dang near anything to get out of that basement...

Old 10-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We can't. We live in the northern half of the state and most of our power is hydro and coal. The wind is the south half--Xcel Energy. Maybe Cut Throat and DanTien can buy wind. Now my husband, he wants to make his own wind. Seriously. He wants to move to the country and live off the grid.
Sounds like my dad. He's even turned his backyard into a small organic farm. Is there a way to just stick your own windmill on the roof of your house? I wouldn't care about the 20 years to get back the cost, I'm just thinking tree hugger here.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #16

Right now, new wind energy installations in the US aren't viable without a production tax credit from the government. Currently $0.019 per kWh, extended through 2007. Without that, you won't see any new wind turbines being sold until the cost to produce and operate them comes down.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
What's the downside? *In other words, why wouldn't everyone sign up for 100% wind power when it's rate is lower?
Because in Canada, I would actually have to pay MORE to have some of my electricity come from green. This is due to the higher capital costs involved in constructing wind turbines.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
Right now, new wind energy installations in the US aren't viable without a production tax credit from the government. Currently $0.019 per kWh, extended through 2007. Without that, you won't see any new wind turbines being sold until the cost to produce and operate them comes down.
Some states, like Minnesota, offer credits as well.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Sounds like my dad. He's even turned his backyard into a small organic farm. Is there a way to just stick your own windmill on the roof of your house? I wouldn't care about the 20 years to get back the cost, I'm just thinking tree hugger here.
Laurence: You probably can't if you live in the city. The windmills are usually deemed' unsightly,' and they do make a significant amount of wind noise which would upset any neighbors--even the nice ones. Think 'commune,' UncleMick, HaHa, me, and other like-minded individuals' if you really want to make it happen socially.

--DH, also dba Alexander Haig.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #20

Quote:
--DH, also dba Alexander Haig.
Uh Oh. Control issues again, Greg? Better get back down in the basement. Someone under the bed wants to talk with you...