Windfall investment advice

Hexanova

Dryer sheet aficionado
I'm in the process of selling one of my websites :dance: and I will have about $57,000 coming out of an escrow account in a few weeks.

We don't need the money (no debt) so I'm looking for investment ideas as a lump sum, or broken out.

We're pretty diversified but I'm kind of at a loss of what to do with it because this sale literally came out of the blue and made sense to sell after I ran some numbers.

Thanks.

I'd just invest it per your current asset allocation plan.

Agree. Dollar-cost average your asset purchases over some months according to your chosen AA.

And congrats on your web sale!

I agree with the dollar cost average into your current asset allocation.

However, I would first take no more than 10% of the money and have fun with it. Buy something, go on a trip, make a significant donation to a favorite cause, etc.

It is good to balance ones' diligence with a little fun.

An only slightly tongue-in-cheek recommendation (i'm actually gonna do it) is to buy "some" forever stamps. Next rate increase should happen before long (probably $.03). That's the equivalent of 6+% for the first year (not many gummint guaranteed vehicles can boast that - especially since the investment is as short-term as you want to make it.) Congratulations on making money on a web site and, oh yes, YMMV.

Thanks for the advice.

What are stamps? I use about one per year. :LOL:

So you'll get a 6.5% return on $0.46 - don't spend it all in one place.

Sounds like a bunch of Scrooges. Doesn't anyone else send X-mas cards or BD cards, etc.? We go through 2 or 3 hundred stamps a year at least. Also, we both occasionally supply stamps for organizations we belong to (with reimbursement or charity donation). Guess what rate we can use? Uhhh, the new, higher rate. So, for us (only) we're looking at several hundred per year, which is why I mentioned it. If you only use one, you still get bragging rights.

"Hey, I got this great investment that made me 6.5% guaranteed. Ahhh, but you wouldn't be interested."

YMMV:LOL:

Sounds like a bunch of Scrooges. Doesn't anyone else send X-mas cards or BD cards, etc.? ..."

I send a few X-mas cards the old fashioned way. Thus, I've stocked up on enough forever stamps to hopefully last my entire lifetime :D.

There was a funny comedienne the other night on Letterman who said something like "where else can you walk into a building, hand a guy a letter, and say 'here is 46 cents - will you take this to Alaska for me ?'".

I agree - it is pretty incredible. We actually transitioned most of our holiday greetings to email a couple years ago. we have a couple dozen cards that we send by snail mail. Note it was the OP who said they use one a year - we do use more, but not many.

Back
Top Bottom