Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Currently we are approximately 93% equities, have brought it down from the 95% or so, but it went back up

Here is part of the problem, some stocks are in regular accounts, so that means large LTCG if we want to covert them en mass to bond(ish) things. But we are doing ROTH conversions too, so that does not work.

We could convert more in IRA without tax issues, and that is where most of the action has happened.
Still it's emotionally hard to do when bonds pay low interest , are projected to decline or at best stay flat while stock ETF's pay out 2% or more and will grow over the next 7 years.

So how do we avoid the problem of 50% drop in the market lasting a few years?
By having 4-5 years worth of spending (when you add in the stock dividends that will continue) available.
Plus lots of cushion in spending to chose between vacation in Europe or not eat Alpo.
Yep your last three sentence's are paramount.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

But, if you think you have won then you can lower your equities to 20% to 30%.... that would not put you too much into the market and also have some insurance in case of higher inflation...
Yeah, that is basically what I have done. DW and I could live off of my pension and her part-time work if we had to (with just a few minor lifestyle adjustments), so I really see no need to invest a lot in equities at this point in my life.

I know that inflation is a concern when you are talking about a long retirement, but in the last decade or so it has really not been an issue. I think the likelihood of inflation in the 7-10% range coming back anytime soon is pretty slim, really. Of course, I could be wrong about that. If inflation does start to creep back up, we will make some portfolio adjustments. Until then, I sleep pretty well at night with a minimum equity exposure.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
If inflation does start to creep back up, we will make some portfolio adjustments. Until then, I sleep pretty well at night with a minimum equity exposure.
Careful there! It can be a tough thing to do while in the midst of it all.

I think 1974 is the year that is frequently referenced. 12% inflation, -30+% drop in stocks. Brutal. This kind of thing can cause paralysis if not entered into before hand.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

I think 1974 is the year that is frequently referenced. 12% inflation, -30+% drop in stocks. Brutal. This kind of thing can cause paralysis if not entered into before hand.
I'm not too worried about it, given our situation. Since 1991, the CPI has been 4% or less. That's 26 consecutive years of relatively low inflation (and actually more that, as inflation was quite low all the way back to 1982, with the exception of 1990). Yes, we did have much higher inflation for a few years (mid 70s through 81). But do you really think it is likely that roaring inflation will come back without warning in the near future? I just don't think so. At least I am not willing to increase my equity exposure right now, just to protect against that kind of thing happening. I'm not saying my strategy is right for everyone, just that I am comfortable with it for DW and me.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #65

Quote:

Here's a word from the past:

Stagflation!

Interesting that a 4% rule worked for that year IIRC.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #66

Quote:
I remember! Wasn't that "I'm going to Whip His A..." wait, wait. Wrong President. It was the one before. "Whip Inflation Now". What's my prize?

Yes, I've won, but that simply means only being 50-55% in equities instead of 75%.
You win a free WIN badge. Jimmie Carter will deliver personally.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have a name for people who completely quit investing in equities (or other growth investments). I call them gamblers.
Funny, that is the way I think about folks who retire and "bet" heavy on equity gains to support their retirement.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Funny, that is what I call folks who retire and "bet" heavy on equity gains to support their retirement.
One of the Boglehead posters had some thoughts on the subject that I found insightful:

"But the thing stock enthusiasts continually miss is that the lower end of that distribution is about the same as bonds. Not just the worst-case scenario, but the lower tenth percentile or something like that....
What this means is that you need to save about the same amount no matter what your asset allocation is. You cannot use the fact that you're investing in stocks to justify a lower savings rate. The amount you need to save is the same no matter what your asset allocation is. To say "it's very hard to save enough to retire just using Treasury bonds and TIPs" is just to say that it's very hard to save enough. If you aren't saving enough to retire just using Treasury bonds and TIPs, you aren't saving enough if you add stocks. You're counting on luck, and luck is not a strategy."

Sources: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93245
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Having read through all of the replies, as I see in many comments these days, both here and other on-line communities I participate in, there is currently a tremendous under-appreciation for risk and the markets.

I believe many folks are over-exposed to the markets and unfortunately it is going to come back and bite at some point. It's been long enough since the financial crisis that memories have faded and many folks are making the same mistakes as last time around.

I'm sorry to be the squeaky wheel on this thread, but with the markets continuing to head relentlessly higher, folks that are looking at large gains need to take a step back and have an extremely objective look at their situation. Revisit your risk tolerance and investment objective. I was particularly moved by the one comment earlier in the thread which stated "I could easily live with a 50% permanent “haircut”". If that's really true, it's wonderful that you have done extremely well and your personal situation allows for this. I personally find it difficult to believe that anyone could honestly/sincerely make the statement.

Back in 2008/2009 many folks in/at/near retirement had their situations permanently changed for the worse because they had not been prudent in this regard.

There is nothing wrong with taking money off the table or even pushing back and walking away from the table.
I've made statements to that effect (50% haircut) on this forum - - - and mean every word of it. Most of our retirement is, or will be, funded by pensions and SS. Our "needed draw" from investments is 1-2%. Anything above that is "beer money." Furthermore, we could cut back on frivolous spending and live comfy w/o any portfolio $$.

Yeah, it was gut wrenching watching our 201K plummet ~40% during the great recession. But, we increased our contribution rate at the same time in the somewhat shaken belief that we were buying low. I guess we were after all. YMMV.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #70

I don't see much of a problem with taking gains to cash or short-term bonds/TIPS. Last year I rebalanced 3 times instead of the usual one time in February, to take stock gains and keep the stock allocation to the low point of 58% (high is 64%). And I'm actually 50-35-15 in my 403b, which I'll start tapping in a few weeks (DW is 5 years younger, so her stock allocation is considerably higher).
I think a meltup this year and next is entirely possible and I want to scrape off much of the meltup if it occurs to fund/derisk the next 6 years before regular SS Retirement Age. The market PE also seems rather "rich" historically (or is that "fully valued"and frankly that scares me most, but that doesn't mean it can't continue to go up for a while.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Maybe I should add that another reason for my extreme fear of inflation is that I lived in South America for a while, during the years of ultra-mega-hyperinflation. In some places, people were actually being paid almost hourly, so they could run out to the store with a bag full of money and buy something. In a largely cash economy, coins virtually disappeared and the smallest bill in my wallet was generally a 5,000.
Sounds similar to today:
Venezuela's cash crisis: You can't get $1 from a bank. I tried. - Jan. 17, 2018
You can't get $1 out of the bank in Venezuela. I tried. Four hours. Four banks. Six cents.

FWIW I'd agree that an all-cash portfolio is a very risky allocation over the long term pretty much anywhere in the world.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Plus lots of cushion in spending to chose between vacation in Europe or not eat Alpo.
and spending down a bit of principal to tide us over.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Yeah, it was gut wrenching watching our 201K plummet ~40% during the great recession.
Sorry to hear your 401k took so much of a hit it became a 201k. Hopefully it's at least a 601k by now...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
This is hilarious!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_inflation_now

It's like "voodoo" economics! Thanks for making me (in my 40s) look it up!
Oh, I remember that era very well. I worked for a county police department and the pay raises we received were paltry, on the order of one or two percent, so they didn't come close to covering the increased costs of living. This while folks in private industry were at times getting raises well north of 10% a year.

Despite how some folks feel about COLA'd public service pensions it's one reason I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt about mine. I did pay my dues.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #75

I read somewhere that you need to be between 30/70 and 70/30 with your AA. Meanwhile within that range and at 15 years cash/CD's I'll take my chances.