Join Early Retirement Today

Winning the lottery becomes a nightmare
Old 09-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Winning the lottery becomes a nightmare

Winner reflects on nightmare lottery - CNN.com
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I read that and my first thought was, wow, this was a guy who should have been able to handle it, because he was already a millionaire. Just goes to show...
Reason 5 billion why I have never bought a lottery ticket. It is a really sad story. And all too often exactly what happens to these lottery winners.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yikes! What a story.....money just isn't everything even though our society thinks that having it will make our lives better. Only we can do that for ourselves.
I hope he gets to help a lot of people....this story made me sad.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well, I would like to have the opportunity to see if I could handle that kind of money. I wonder how Warren Buffett handles his situation? He drives his own car, lives in the same house he has owned for 30 years and lives pretty much a normal life.

One thing for sure, I'll never know how hard it is to lead a normal life with 90+ million in the bank.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

The difference with Warren Buffett is he earned it, whereas the money dropped in this guy's lap like manna from heaven. And Warren Buffett knows how to handle and invest money.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Administrator

If I ever won this much money, I would move to a foreign country and never, ever tell anyone.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

His business was already worth 17 MILLION and an additional aprox. 100mil made such a great difference?

The statistical odds against both occurrences are enormous!

It's easy to see a normal person thrust into difficulty by a big lottery win, but he was rich, by any standard, already. Obviously the fame made him a target of strangers, but his family life should have already been geared to wealth.

Fishy. Has a bull left a deposit behind?
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
His business was already worth 17 MILLION and an additional aprox. 100mil made such a great difference?
Apparantly it did.

Just because his business was worth 17 million, doesn't mean HE was worth that much, or that he had that much.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like to think I could handle coming into that much money and nothing would change in my life. I'm sure the reality would be much different. I wonder how many of my friends or family members would come to me for money and never speak to me again if I didn't give it to them. Or, if I'd resent them asking and not speak to them.
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes the press just like to report negative stories. The guy is probably having a good time everyday. Granted he had so much tragedies I guess it pays to play.

I heard of someone who won the lottery and moved back to his home country. 2 days later, kidnapped and killed.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if Warren Buffett spends more than 60 nights a year in his own bed. Probably not.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #12

Why would anyone leave a briefcase with 245K in cash and three 100k cashiers check in his car parked at a strip club's parking lot
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I could handle it.

Sounds like this guy/family was messed up before he won the lottery...and the money made it worse.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Why would anyone leave a briefcase with 245K in cash and three 100k cashiers check in his car parked at a strip club's parking lot
Yea, take the money inside. You get a lot more attention from the girls.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Poor guy. That $300mm ruined his life.

It certainly wasn't the drinking, philandering, etc...

What kinda fool carries $250k in a briefcase and leaves it in his car outside of a strip club?

Kinda makes you wonder how he made the money he made before he won the lottery.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #16

In all, Whittaker says, he's been involved in 460 legal actions since winning

Man, I could see how that would get old fast. Given that this guy says he doesn't have any friends left and his family is fallen apart, it seems like it's time to change names and move somewhere else.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
In all, Whittaker says, he's been involved in 460 legal actions since winning

Man, I could see how that would get old fast. Given that this guy says he doesn't have any friends left and his family is fallen apart, it seems like it's time to change names and move somewhere else.
Perhaps, but how many of the 460 were due to his numbskullery? There are many other lotto winners. I have read that some have had problems with people wanting to borrow money and such. But this guy's antics seem a little, well, dumb!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I really don't see how his daughter's cancer can be blamed on winning the lottery. And there are a lot of clues here that he was not the most sensible guy to start with.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

AHhhh how money change people! Funny I helped my younger sister be successful in her career. Now that she is successful no more communication. Head swell up.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm from WV and until recently JW (the lottery winner)was in the news constantly, and still is occasionally. I think it is safe to assume that most of his woes are self inflicted.
jay-pee is offline   Reply With Quote