Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rent an extended stay .. as some would suggest. Cheaper .. don't commit yet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 11:01 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
We are Canadians who were thinking about doing something similar in the winter in Myrells Inlet, SC. My thought was that we could do a 6 month rental in a new unfurnished apartment for I think $1000/month. Furnished rentals in season would cost the same 6K for 3 months. We considered doing the 6 mth rental and furnishing with Craigslist stuff. Covid has kind of squashed that plan for now, maybe some day.
Any buy your pots, pans, cutlery, etc at Sally Ann type stores, then donate it back when you leave.
That's what I did when contracting around the country.
You can also sometimes buy used rental furniture at the rental place, just run the numbers to see which is cheaper.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Why pay for snow removal at your house if you won't be there? To make the home not appear empty?
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
Why pay for snow removal at your house if you won't be there? To make the home not appear empty?
Good point, as it's still not going to look occupied.
They will need to shovel the doorstep and walkway as well.

Still no tire tracks, no foot prints all over it will look empty.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #25

When I am gone for 6-8 months, I have snow removal of my front walk, my driveway, and the sidewalk.

And when the grass is growing, I have it mowed and the fallen leaves cleared.

Even when I am in residence, I use faketv.com in the front living room and several lights on timers in other rooms of the house, so the lighting of the interior rooms stays fairly consistent year-round.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the replies. You talked me out of making a purchase now. I'll look into the different options for rentals.

I don't want to stay with DS & family because they have a small house and two people will be trying to work from home. I think I will be more comfortable in my own space. For some reason, they gave my room to the new baby.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Austin traffic can be horrible. Spending time in the area will let you figure out where to live.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
We do it for a number of reasons. First, the fuel truck needs to be able to drive down the driveway to fill the propane tanks. Second, we like the option of having the place readily available if we needed to unexpectedly return home for some reason. Third, DS needs to visit occasionally to water DW's plants. Fourth, if we have a no heat situation the plumber needs to be able to get into the house. Probably other reasons too.

Our driveway is ~200' long....Cost is ~$725 a season.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Surprised no one mentioned renting in a retirement mobile home community? They are fully furnished, usually reasonable and have activities and others to relate to.
frugal-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

A couple friends of ours do that. Very nice doublewide and nice community.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
If you go this route, consider getting a loyalty account number and maybe a co-branded credit card and earn some points for your stays.

Austin’s not cheap.
It's been 12 years since I moved away, but I didn't find Austin real estate all that expensive. Rents were a little high, real estate, not so much.

Traffic, yeah, that was awful, but some places are awfuller than others.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Winter long distance condo - purchase or rent?
Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Winter long distance condo - purchase or rent?

Rent. More flexibility and less commitment. Plus no property taxes and homeowners insurance.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #33

About the time you buy, your family may decide to accept a job offer elsewhere - a lot can happen.

Rent a furnished condo, townhouse, or home in a NICE part of town.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I vote for Extended Stay - but check it out first - some are better than others. Look for an extended stay hotel that has a full kitchen including dishwasher. One where you earn hotel loyalty points/benefits is good too - maybe get hotel stays for the rest of the year free. Plus weekly housekeeping and a laundry on the premises.
Another suggestion would be to get an RV and stay in a nearby RV park. If they move, no problem.

For the new baby - for the first few months, they may find it a lot more convenient to have the crib in their room.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the new grandchild, how very exciting for you!

Although it won’t impact what you do in Austin, verify your IL homeowners ins coverage stays intact while your home is unoccupied. Make sure they will cover any claims since you won’t be there to notice if pipes burst, etc.
ImaCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

A furnished rental with all utilities included can be had on VRBO. Rent a different one every year, get a fel for the area, and so on. Most will come with pots/pans, dishes, all bedding and so on. If you are dealing with a good VRBO owner, you can even request specialized small appliances for those long stays - maybe you want a juicer for instance.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Buy a motor home and register it in TX. No property tax and you can take trips when your here (I live in TX). This way your kids can travel and you have a place to stay.
jmp470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp470 View Post
Buy a motor home and register it in TX. No property tax and you can take trips when your here (I live in TX). This way your kids can travel and you have a place to stay.

That is a good idea too. My neighbor does that, and has moved his primary residence to TX for tax purposes. Says the park rent is more than offset by the income tax savings.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rent different places until you hit one that clicks. Only buy if the numbers make sense and condo management is stable.

Sometimes DWs don’t like to live in other people’s taste though. Decorating a blank slate of a place you own can be fun for a couple of seasons.

But you have the worry of condo boards going bad.

Owning does force a certain fixture in place that promotes connecting to neighbours, especially other snowbirds.

Think about how you are going to meet people. Some neighbourhoods make it easier.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

The extended stay price looks quite attractive. If this were me, I'd start out with that. Or ask tessaduncan if she wants to go in on a 2-bedroom.

If you end up buying furniture, store it over the first off-season at least. This would permit you to rent unfurnished, and would probably more than offset the storage cost. Buy just the minimum at retail, and get the rest at thrift stores or estate sales. Pretend you're back at college if nothing matches. Plus you won't feel bad when you give it away again.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
real estate