Join Early Retirement Today

Witnessed Shrinkflation Up Close Today
Old 06-18-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Witnessed Shrinkflation Up Close Today

Was over at the grocery store in the morning.

Saw a loaf of bread for about $3.30. The saw a 1/2 loaf of bread for about $2.30. Oh there were also shrinkflationed hamburger buns too.

I guess this is like when folks can't afford a full tank of gas, so fill only 1/4 or 1/2 tank. Still costs the same. Or in the case of shrunken groceries, maybe costs even more.
Quote:
Maybe you’ve noticed that your bag of chips from the grocery store just doesn’t seem as full, or the roll of toilet paper doesn’t last as long, but yet the price on the product hasn’t risen like everything else, so that’s a good thing, right?
Experts are saying that this might just be the way that companies are cutting costs without consumers recognizing it using a tactic called “shrinkflation,” which is a phrase that is easily described as package downsizing. It is done in a manner in which manufacturers quietly shrink package sizes without lowering prices.
Shrinkflation usually increases in times of high inflation as companies are grasping with higher costs themselves and with the added high gas prices, some are looking to make up the difference somehow.
Most of the time this strategy works as manufacturers know consumers are more likely to notice price increases, but don’t always catch the smaller details like a slight change to the amount of tissues in a box or the weight of a bag of chips.
https://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/...cdcb4b5b2.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2022, 08:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

RE: my post a while back on Walmart no-name bleach going for $4.12 a jug. Pre-pandemic price was $0.89. But the jug is not a gallon like it used to be....it's 81 ounces (5/8 of a gallon).
Old 06-18-2022, 09:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Was over at the grocery store in the morning.

Saw a loaf of bread for about $3.30. The saw a 1/2 loaf of bread for about $2.30. Oh there were also shrinkflationed hamburger buns too.

I guess this is like when folks can't afford a full tank of gas, so fill only 1/4 or 1/2 tank. Still costs the same. Or in the case of shrunken groceries, maybe costs even more.

https://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/...cdcb4b5b2.html
It's for our health.

Will see if Americans lose weigh in the days ahead.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:46 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm waiting for gas stations to start listing prices by the liter.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:23 AM   #5

The market does exactly what we let it.

If, for example, we had not bought the brands of ice cream which started selling slightly less than half-gallon sizes years ago, they'd have quickly gone back to the old packaging.

But we stupidly kept buying them every time the amount of product in a carton got smaller. I don't even know what it's down to now for the "large" cartons.

You can never overestimate the stupidity of the average person. I don't blame the manufacturers for taking advantage of that. I try to avoid the shrunken packages, hoping others will do the same. It hasn't happened yet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:09 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Can't swear to it but I seem to recall past packages of Italian sausage having six pieces. Last week there were only five.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
RE: my post a while back on Walmart no-name bleach going for $4.12 a jug. Pre-pandemic price was $0.89. But the jug is not a gallon like it used to be....it's 81 ounces (5/8 of a gallon).
Bleach I can see less than a gallon as may take awhile to go through a gallon. Even milk, I'll accept 3/4 gallon of milk. But 1/2 loaf of bread ... a couple of bites and time for another half loaf. Regardless, not at shrinkflation prices... ouch!
Old 06-19-2022, 06:30 AM   #8

Yeah, this week's Sam's trip pretty much everything was inflated. Coffee was up another $2/bag, 4 avacados vs the prior 5, half & half ($1.80 to $2.40 in the past couple of months) & bacon up again... Seems like a 10% across everything but steak.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Can't swear to it but I seem to recall past packages of Italian sausage having six pieces. Last week there were only five.
Yes! This hit me. I buy the stuff once a year when DW goes away and get to grill whatever I want.

Only 5 this time!

I don't typically get ice cream but I decided to walk through the isle. All the cartons looked like a bunch of miniatures. Lady in front of me grabbed a carton of ice cream and what came out was what we used to get with a standard yogurt cup.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #10

Somehow, I expected a different thread after reading the title…. More like that Seinfeld episode….
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:05 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
If, for example, we had not bought the brands of ice cream which started selling slightly less than half-gallon sizes years ago, they'd have quickly gone back to the old packaging.

But we stupidly kept buying them every time the amount of product in a carton got smaller. I don't even know what it's down to now for the "large" cartons.

You can never overestimate the stupidity of the average person.
I'm not stupid. I just really, really, really love ice cream But I agree, we tell the market what we want by what we buy. That's why I don't buy things in stores on holidays (including gas) - I'd rather they be closed for their employees.

BTW - Costco still sells 1/2 gallons (x2) of ice cream and that's my primary source. Ben and Jerry's quality at Costco prices!
Old 06-19-2022, 07:08 AM   #12

When a case of beer doesn't have 24 bottles it will get my attention.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
This.

Although 4-packs of craft beers have become the norm. A norm I don't like.

Maybe I should get off my lazy butt and make beer (again).
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:03 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Somehow, I expected a different thread after reading the title…. More like that Seinfeld episode….
Same here!
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So is this okay? Still 24 bottles but only 7oz each and not the usual 12oz.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
Same here!
Not that there's anything wrong with that .
Old 06-19-2022, 08:22 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
18s are a thing now.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I don't typically get ice cream but I decided to walk through the isle. All the cartons looked like a bunch of miniatures. Lady in front of me grabbed a carton of ice cream and what came out was what we used to get with a standard yogurt cup.
And those yogurts seem to keep getting smaller than they used to be.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
And those yogurts seem to keep getting smaller than they used to be.
Used to be all 8oz. New standard is 6 and 4.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #20

If they are going to downsize at least drop it to a size that divides evenly into the old size so I can keep recipe proportions correct! I guess it would be too obvious if the 16oz can became 8, 4, or 2oz! I'm not fooled by the cost increase but it's really irritating in the kitchen.